View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:49   #15
ruking
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62/50/44mpg, normal commute range 48-52 mpg:09 Jetta TDI, 47/43/39, normal commute range 39 -43 mpg: 12 Touareg TDI, 39/31/29 mpg:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-tdi
Either I am blind or there is no mention in any of the VW manuals about when or how to change the engine air filter. Yea I don't have really a "how to question" but I thought I could check the service booklet to determine when the dealer should have done this during one of my 3 free oil changes. I know they did not make mention of changing it recently at 33K miles so I am assuming it never has been replaced. Any thoughts from someone who has better eyes than I have??
This might be counter intuitive, but with oem recommendations @ 40,000 miles, I have been changing air filters (MK IV) @ 60,000 miles

Actually a "used" oem air filter filters the air better than a new one. Obviously, you don't want the air filter to be jammed clogged. Another thing is since you have changed the air filter early (@33k) with latest oem recommendation of 60,000 miles, it would be best not to yield to temptation and unscrew the air box (to check) until the next time you decide to change the air filter ( again oem recommendation in another 60,000 miles) When you unseat and reseat the silicon air filter sealing material , you increase the chances of creating a leak. This of course allows more of LESS filtered air in, aka DIRT/silicon particles.
ruking is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.29983 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.72 Kb. compressed to 14.25 Kb. by saving 1.47 Kb. (9.35%)]