Today is the day for 3.0's

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Touareg TDI Executive
I was looking to buy a Porsche Cayenne S so my thought was to just take a small gamble on buying a Cayenne Diesel instead, although I would rather have the V8 at this point.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
There are definitely plenty of 13-14 on the market and no one is buying them. i am thinking to get a few as soon as my Gen 1 start going back.

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Comparable Cayenne S / Cayenne Diesel there is a good $5k premium for the Diesel at this point, not sure it is worth buying a Diesel at a premium to get potentially $8k-$10k back. Obviously if they cant repair in a timely manner or repair at all and forced to buy back then all bets are off.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6M RIP, 2015 GSW SE TDI 6M, 2015 Q7 TDI
Why does everyone assume the post fix performance is going to be so bad? From what I remember, the gen. 2 3.0 cars weren't over the limits by much. As far as I can tell, the performance of the fixed 2015 2.0 cars hasn't changed much.

Why wouldn't you want a car that performs about the same, is cleaner, and gets an extended warranty?

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
Why does everyone assume the post fix performance is going to be so bad? From what I remember, the gen. 2 3.0 cars weren't over the limits by much. As far as I can tell, the performance of the fixed 2015 2.0 cars hasn't changed much.
Why wouldn't you want a car that performs about the same, is cleaner, and gets an extended warranty?
Not necessarily "so bad", just worse than pre-fix.

I don't care if they find a fix (in fact, that would be great for the environment and for folks who want to keep driving these things), but it would be better for everyone involved, except maybe VAG's bank account, if they aren't able to find a fix within the next 6 months.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Do we know which 2 of the 3 subclasses have been submitted? If the 13-14's havent been yet I would double down that these cars will not get a timely fix.

The transcript indicates that only the "PC" subgroup has not been already submitted to EPA/CARB. That includes the Q5 and all the Audi A models above the A3.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
Not necessarily "so bad", just worse than pre-fix.

I don't care if they find a fix (in fact, that would be great for the environment and for folks who want to keep driving these things), but it would be better for everyone involved, except maybe VAG's bank account, if they aren't able to find a fix within the next 6 months.
How much worse? 1%? .5%? 10%? At this point, nobody knows(well, some people probably know, considering a fix has been submitted for 2/3 of the Gen. 2 cars), but the documents stipulate how much the fuel economy etc. can be affected. Even with a slight performance hit, there's not many cars out there that compare with these 3.0 TDIs.

And yes, the best thing for almost everyone involved would be a timely fix and keeping these cars on the road and out of the crusher. Oh, except for the handful of people buying up cars for profit.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
How much worse? 1%? .5%? 10%? At this point, nobody knows(well, some people probably know, considering a fix has been submitted for 2/3 of the Gen. 2 cars), but the documents stipulate how much the fuel economy etc. can be affected. Even with a slight performance hit, there's not many cars out there that compare with these 3.0 TDIs.
And yes, the best thing for almost everyone involved would be a timely fix and keeping these cars on the road and out of the crusher. Oh, except for the handful of people buying up cars for profit.
Since any fix keeps the cars out of the crusher, the best thing would be an un-timely fix, because of the restitution implications for everyone involved (arbitragers and owners who intend to keep the cars).

The cars would keep their current performance for a longer period of time, AND everyone would get more money. Win/win.

VWMark

Veteran Member
TDI
Since any fix keeps the cars out of the crusher, the best thing would be an un-timely fix, because of the restitution implications for everyone involved (arbitragers and owners who intend to keep the cars).
The cars would keep their current performance for a longer period of time, AND everyone would get more money. Win/win.
That is true, except if the fix is not approved on time, I believe you will have the buyback option, which I'm sure LOTS of people would take them up on. Not that I would object to more money...

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if the dollars amounts on the portal include tax?
Tax was supposed to be added to payout totals.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
Would it be possible to clone the ecu with a tune that can erase the modifications to return to stock or even upgrade performance?

A swap of the ecu for scheduled servicing at the dealership could keep an owner and dealership happy.

The 335d enthusiasts are doing that regularily.
There are tuners out there that for roughly $600 they can clone the new tune so you could take it into the dealer for service and give you a new and better then stock tune. You get the tool to switch between the two. Malone is one of the tuners that come up....

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
I had malone put a stage two in my jetta. I would give him a call for when i (hopefully) get this next one.

And post warrenty i would call him again.

I mean am i the only guy out there that wants a straight piped and emmissions deleted a7 with a respectable tune?

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
What is the timely fix? Is that by the proposed dates or do the 3- 30 day extensions count as timely?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
The extensions, if granted, would allow a fix to still be timely.

It may be mere coincidence that the PC subclass hasn't been submitted yet, but it is the class where it will be hardest to keep the mpg hit under 3 and the hp and torque hit under 5%. I believe the settlement allows this subgroup to be split into individual cars, so for example, just a Q5 Fix could be submitted and not the Audi A cars.

opsx

TDI
tdi
Hmm, 2011 Touareg Lux and I'm only seeing 5k restitution (and I'm almost certain the original owner never registered). Seems low, right?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, 2011 Touareg Lux and I'm only seeing 5k restitution (and I'm almost certain the original owner never registered). Seems low, right?
It would appear the original owner, or possibly a 3rd party dealer, did register.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
One of the 3.0's was in my wife's name and she registered and I registered as well not remembering it was in her name. A previous owner registered and I am wondering if it may have thought I was a previous owner for signing up as well. Did you have to check current or previous owner on the initial registration? I cant remember.

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
The $10k range includes $1500 from Bosch, which accounts for most of the discrepancy.

Dan, you are rarely wrong, but you are in this case. According to Amended Exhibit 3 and the executive summary, nowhere does it say that Bosch payments are included in the approved repair payment table where the 2015 A8L is listed at $10,584-$11,519. Only the 2/1/17-Exhibit A: Range of Possible Payments For Eligible Owners, Lessees, and Former Eligible Owners includes the Bosch payment and lists the 2015 A8L at $12,084‐ $13,019.

My payment would have been $11,334 but was $2750 less because the prior lessee must have made a claim. I will be entitled to an additional $750 from Bosch rather than $1500 because of the former lessee.

TommyGun

TDI
A bumper crop
Entered 12 claims last night. Appears I ended up 50/50 on previous owner claims. I'm curious from other bulk buyers what their ratio was.
Of the cars I'm personally aware of, 9 out 11 did NOT have a prior owner register. I guess we got lucky!

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Cars in worse condition/higher mileage are less likely registered by the former owners than cars in better condition/lower mileage.

Just a guess.

Motodude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 q7tdi. 2012 q7tdi
Cars in worse condition/higher mileage are less likely registered by the former owners than cars in better condition/lower mileage.

Just a guess.

I had 3 in good condition/lower mileage and no former owner, 1 w high mileage and not as good condition and they signed up.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
I had 3 in good condition/lower mileage and no former owner, 1 w high mileage and not as good condition and they signed up.

My sample is from several friends.

Cars with higher trim, better condition, low mileage get way more registrations from former owners.

opsx

TDI
tdi
So are you guys assuming that your estimate on the claims site is lower than you expected because of a previous owner making a claim and not because of some glitch? Because they recently had one with the 2.0s restitution coming in at 75% when there would be a previous unfinished claim in the system and then it magically resolves itself after a week or two...

Michael A

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anyone know if the amounts given on the portal include the state and local sales tax? There is a chart showing each state sales tax which I thought was an additional settlement amount on the 3 liters.

bird67

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI*
When I read stuff like this I know we've crossed over into alternate reality. I know I am not the only one who wants the fix to succeed. If you read the transcript from Breyer's court, the FTC representative seems to indicate that the fix will in high likelihood be accepted. Two of the three subclasses have already been submitted by VW to EPA and CARB.
If you bought gen 1's to flip, you are fine. If you bought gen 2's, you took a chance and might come out ok, but don't assume your arbitrager's perspective applies to us all.
Doc, I"m an actual owner and not an arbitrage owner, and I've been through a series of "hopes" in this settlement. This includes being PO'ed that Gen II 3.0 owners will not have a buyback option unless the fix fails. That ticked me off for a bit. Then I shifted to "control what you can control, let the rest go" mode. Now, my reaction is like yours - sort of...having surveyed the landscape of alternatives to the '14 Touareg I own, there are no "must haves" out there. This has been the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, out of over 30 vehicles in my lifetime. If the fix succeeds, I'll accept the payout money gladly and let them fix mine.
I'm wary of what "succeeds" means, though. I like getting 28-30 mpg with gobs of seamlessly-delivered torque while essentially ignoring the emissions system in daily use with no longevity concerns. I'm hopeful, not yet optimistic but open-minded, that the "fix" will be a success, but won't consider it a success if "fix" merely means "EPA/CARB approval" at the expense of mileage/torque/set-and-forget emissions/longevity. I'm going to simply wait, see, and continue to enjoy the Touareg in the meantime.

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
Another data point for reference:

2012 Lux
Current mileage 57,890 / Estimated mileage at BB 55,001-60,000

Return Amt: $34,375
Restitution: $10,517.50

Total: $44,892.50

This is in the range I expected. I have seen several folks who appear to have been given BB numbers that are based upon the wrong trim level.

Tim