PLEASE! When installing a 6 speed transmission, check the oil level!!!!

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
This transmission was recently shipped to me and I finally had a free moment to open it up. The pics speak for themselves.

These are parts here from a properly oiled 5 speed. Notice how everything is "wet". It was even shipped empty across the country to me just like the 6 speed was.

Now, here's the 6 speed I just opened up. Notice how "dry" everything is.

Notice lack of oil pooled anywhere

Plastic parts of reverse synchronizer melted from heat

Final drive #1 bearing race

Final drive #1 bearing. The roller cage was actually welded to the race in the case and took me about 40 mins of french, prying, slide hammer, and wiggling to get it out.

Last edited:

Crispy_8V

TDI
Mk1/A1 Golf GTTDI, Mk4 GTDI & Corrado TDI
all shipped transmissions should be dry, I've fitted a number direct from VW

only found 2 for 3B passats wet & right level!!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I bought a TR3 once, checked every fluid before driving it away...

...Except the diff fluid.

The pinion bearings on that car looked very much like your picture. :(

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
so, that trans is garbage then? or can it be rebuilt?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
This transmission was recently shipped to me and I finally had a free moment to open it up. The pics speak for themselves.

These are parts here from a properly oiled 5 speed. Notice how everything is "wet". It was even shipped empty across the country to me just like the 6 speed was.

Now, here's the 6 speed I just opened up. Notice how "dry" everything is.

Notice lack of oil pooled anywhere

Plastic parts of reverse synchronizer melted from heat

Final drive #1 bearing race

Final drive #1 bearing. The roller cage was actually welded to the race in the case and took me about 40 mins of french, prying, slide hammer, and wiggling to get it out.
not sure I understand this thread...are you repairing a tranny that someone ran dry or did you run the tranny dry yourself?;) ....it "should" be a no brainer to always check fluid when installing a new/used transmission ....however my pop rebuilds T5's T45's and 3650 mustang trannies...and yes sometimes they get installed by the customer with no fluid :confused: ...despite the fact he tells them "there is no fluid in transmission" :D

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I know Matt didn't run his tranny dry and I'm sure this is one of his customers. Yes, you would think that it would be common sense to double check fluid levels before starting the car and driving it ;)

So, can you bring her back to life Matt?

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
not sure I understand this thread...are you repairing a tranny that someone ran dry or did you run the tranny dry yourself?;) ....it "should" be a no brainer to always check fluid when installing a new/used transmission ....however my pop rebuilds T5's T45's and 3650 mustang trannies...and yes sometimes they get installed by the customer with no fluid :confused: ...despite the fact he tells them "there is no fluid in transmission" :D
I suppose I should've clarified further in the first post. This trans came from RyanP, was installed by a shop, locked up shortly after installation, then was pulled and shipped to me to see what happened.

Anytime a trans is ran, pulled, drained, and then shipped, it will always be "wet" inside. The first pic I posted of a 5 speed that was shipped to me for upgrading is a perfect example; notice the coating of oil on everything even though it was empty when it got to me. This 6 speed was BONE dry inside with the acrid odor of burnt gear oil.

so, that trans is garbage then? or can it be rebuilt?
At bare minimum it needs all new bearings and syncros. Hopefully a brass brush will clean all the crap off the gears and they'll be ok. Whether that's cost effective or not, now that's a different story.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I'm just thinking it's better to have some kind of fluid in them..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Post #1

Edited as the shop has started to make payments to put this right.

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Matt, RyanP,

Those pictures are enough to make you cry! I'm just finishing up installing a 6 speed in my 2005 Beetle from RyanP. I'm guessing the folks who installed the transmission that burnt up didn't have the special "security bit" for the 6 speed drain/fill plugs and just assumed it had fluid. What a shame.

Eric

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I would name the shop. It's asinine to assume that a shipped transmission has fluid in it.

The pics, let alone the odour, confirm that the transmission was run without oil.

The tech messes up and needs to man up for their mistake.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I always thought transaxles (and engines) void of lubricant should have a BIG dayglow tag afixed to them stating "This Unit Has No Oil and Must Be Filled With Proper Lubricant Before Use" (or similar wording). It should be common sense to check, but NEVER underestimate the power of human stupidity. You are better protected if you put such a tag on the unit, because if it comes back to you, you warned them and it is their fault.

I bought a used transaxle once and it had such a tag, but it was still full of lube! (I guess they forgot to drain it).

--Nate

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Post #2

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
I suppose I should've clarified further in the first post. This trans came from RyanP, was installed by a shop, locked up shortly after installation, then was pulled and shipped to me to see what happened.

Anytime a trans is ran, pulled, drained, and then shipped, it will always be "wet" inside. The first pic I posted of a 5 speed that was shipped to me for upgrading is a perfect example; notice the coating of oil on everything even though it was empty when it got to me. This 6 speed was BONE dry inside with the acrid odor of burnt gear oil.

At bare minimum it needs all new bearings and syncros. Hopefully a brass brush will clean all the crap off the gears and they'll be ok. Whether that's cost effective or not, now that's a different story.
you may want to do a file test on the gears before you order any bearings...a good hardened gear will shrug off a file stroke but a gear that has lost it's hardness will take a cut from a standard file....:)

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Lets turn this frown upside down....I'll take the gears if they are intact and send them to get cryo treated. I got an R32 awd trans for that!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Post #3

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Post #4

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The fact that it was dry when you took it apart was most likely from the extreme heat generated while driving it with only 14 drops of fluid in it.. I've taken apart a few rear axles that were run dry, dry like pull the diff cover to drain, put the cover back on and drive until it stops, and it's the same thing. bone dry like it never had fluid and the nastiest small of burnt gear oil..

I bet it was drained prior to shipping and the shop just never bothered to check it..

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Post #5

Last edited:

Dakta

Veteran Member
TDI
Non Vag :(
I once had a pickup that had it's gearbox go, had it replaced by the same people who service our HGV's and 300 miles later it was scrap.

No oil. As a matter of fact they'd lost the filler sealing bolt too.

Wasn't impressed.