Switca

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I just received sad news from a friend of "Switca'(Matt):

My name is Dave. I live in Connecticut. I grew up with 'Switca.' I have some sad news for you. Switca passed away in Ellsworth Maine where he was working at the time. He was a computer tech. He was the best in the business.

He died at 2:00 PM on December 3rd 2002. He was working in a hospital at the time.

I know he was a member of your forum for a few years. I would appreciate if you would inform your members of his death for me.

Our families were very close, and our friendship goes back 30 years.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My condolences go out to Switca's friends and family. Many of you may remember him from TDIFest 2000 and 2002. If you want to leave any comments for his family, feel free to leave it in this topic. I'll forward the link of this topic on through his friend to his family. He will be missed

Fred

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Sad, Sad news....

You will be missed sir..

Gary Miyakawa

P.S. Obvious Fred, we sadly have a new entry for the Gone but not forgotten section....

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
How very, very sad. Strangely, it had just struck me a couple of days ago that Switca hadn't been posting for a little while.

You'll be missed here, Switca.

My sincere condolences to his family & friends.

- Richard

S

SkyPup

What a bust..... we had a great time at the 2002 TDI Fest in Michigan too. I was wondering what was up as I hadn't heard from him for awhile either.

He had had a heart attack just about a year ago but at the fest he said that he was doing real well in spite of his cornary condition. This is indeed another sad day. I was glad to be able to share the time and thoughts we had together. God rest you soul.

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
This is too sad! I never met him, but he seemed like a really nice guy. My deepest sympathies to his family. It's amazing to me how well you can get to know some people on the forum and then when you meet them in real life---you feel like you've known them forever.

The Ripster

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time
Switca arrived at the first TDI Fest on Thursday as I did. We took an evening boat ride and dinner down the river at Wilmington. He was very helpful and would volunteer at both Fests that I was able to attend. We also met up again at TDI Fest 2002. He could be spotted for the hat he wore that would cover his neck and ears from the sun, almost like Lawerence of Arabia. For those of you who might not remember I have posted his photo from TDI Fest 2002. He is on the left, with the neat hanging clip for his name tag he always used at the Fests he attended.

He will be remembered by me as one of the original group, that travelled to GTG and Fests and was a support on line and in person. He is fondly remembered and will be missed.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
We spent quite a bit of time together at the 2002 Fest, including just the two of us getting a late night meal down the street from the hotel. He was a person I had not met before, yet he made me feel like we had been friends for years.

You'll live on in my memory, Matt. Thanks for the friendship.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I met Switca at several GTGs. I saw him lose weight and generally improve his overall physical health and well-being over the last year or 2 since his first heart attack.

It is indeed a cruel irony that he died after such careful attention to his health.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.
I was privileged to have met him.

96Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 06 Golf
I did not know him, but know he always had something good to add to the conversation.

I also was wondering why he had not posted for a while.
Sorry to his family.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Damn! I am really depressed!Gregor was a really great and funny guy!
This picture is from one of the first TDI GTG's
ever held! It was held at a truck stop in Fredererick MD on a real cold and windy day!
We ate, then stood in a Parking lot show and telling our cars! I was in attendance at probably 5-6 GTG's with Gregor he will be missed!
My Condolences to his family and friends!

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Damn. Switca was one of the first TDIers I met...at that same truckstop in Maryland some three years ago. Saw him in Wilmington at the first Fest too. He introduced himself to Dollie and I as "Switca of Arabia" with that hat thing he wore.

I'll miss ya guy...

jetmann

Veteran Member
TDI
2k2 Jetta
<sigh

A friend I never met
A compatriot I knew
But not well enough
You will be missed
But not forgotten.

My sincerest condolences to his family...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I'm very sad to hear the news. I had the pleasure of meeting Matt at a GTG February of 2002.

He sat next to me at dinner. Very nice fellow. I had no idea about any of his previous health history.

You will be missed.

Lito

[ December 29, 2002, 19:32: Message edited by: tongsli ]

golfstream

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf, 2000, Black
Thanks, Lito. That last pic is just how I remember him from our Whitemarsh GTG.

This is just too sad. I met Switca at the GTG last year that Lito has pictured above. I was just recently thinking about him and wondered why he hadn't posted recently.

I particularly enjoyed his brand of humour in the GD Forum... he used to sometimes bring tears of laughter to my eyes. Now he's brought very different tears to my eyes. I'll miss him.

-Mel

SCBEDM

Veteran Member
TDI
scbedm
Condolences to the family, may he rest peace.

I actually e-mailed him a couple of times on a topic once and he was most helpful. As most of the TDI group knows, it does not take much to feel for the members here, even if they are only known from the other end of the wires.

dudybug

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 jetta tdi auto, clear windscreen & tinted driver
Originally posted by golfstream:
I particularly enjoyed his brand of humour in the GD Forum... he used to sometimes bring tears of laughter to my eyes.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">yes

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
hey! We were just fighting over guns in the GD forum a few weeks ago. This is super sad news.

Its like losing a member of the family.. Ive met him many times, and all the sudden he is gone.

RIP, youll be missed.

osidak

Veteran Member
TDI
'17 BRZ Limited PP
I met Switca for the first and only time at the the Original TDI Fest. Since I have spoken to him by email only. He was really nice guy and he will be missed.

I need to get my scanner working so I can post some pictures of him and Gassin Gerhard sliding through one of the check points in the Rally.

It was nice to have met you Switca

valois

Banned
My respects and condolences to the family, Matt was a great guy I had the pleasure of meeting at the first fest. I too enjoyed his wit, and his comments always made me laugh. the most recent I can think of was the squirrel thread. He had told me of his health problems quite some time ago, and had been battling with them for a while. Everything is easy now Switca, you have passed the hard part, swift journey to you and put in a good word for some of us who need it. You are missed.

Smithers

Veteran Member
Terrible news, indeed.

I never met Gregor, but we shared common interests and often shot the bull about racing, cooking, big computers, etc.

We were supposed to meet up at the American LeMans race at MidOhio this Summer, but neither one of us could make it.

There aren't more than 20 people from this forum that I've met in person, and only know 1 very well. It's a sad irony that this would happen to 1 out of prpbably 10 of 10,000 people that I feel was a sort of kindred spirit.

God speed, Gregor. I'll miss you.

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Matthew Hrybinyk
Matthew Hrybinyk "Spud" Age 45 of Wilmington, DE and a former Seymour, CT resident died December 3, 2002 at the Marine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth, ME.
He was born June 1, 1957 in Derby, CT to the late Walter and Fortuna Naples Hrybinyk. Spud was a graduate of Seymour High School and the University of New Haven, majoring in computer science. He joined the DuPont Company, moving to upstate NY, then briefly to Wilmington, DE. At the time of his death, he was employed by In Range Global Consulting in Wilmington, DE. Spud was active in the Rough and Tumble Steam Museum in Kinzers, PA, and was a board member of the Dickinson Theater Organ Society. He volunteered for Delaware Dance, handling the show lighting.
He is survived by 6 aunts, Stella Kacinski of Seymour, CT, Frances Gentile of Tequesta, FL, Eva Naples of Southington, CT, and Marie Kosciuk, Rose Riccitelli and Jane Scarfo, all of Meriden, CT. He is also survived by several cousins including, Dr. Barry Kacinski of Woodbridge, CT and Thomas Riccitelli and his wife, Cindy of Cheshire, CT; and a dear friend, Ms. Suzanne Coughlin of Elsmere, DE.
There will be a funeral service at 10 am on Tuesday, December 10 at the JENKINS-KING FUNERAL HOME, 12 Franklin St., Ansonia, CT, where friends may call from 4-7 pm on Monday, December 9.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to The Dickinson Theater Organ Society, c/o Bob Dilworth, PO Box 7263, Wilmington, DE 19803-0263 or to the Heart or Diabetes foundations.

http://miva.delawareonline.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?obits.mv+showarchiveobit+397358