2015 Audi Q7 service question

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
We just bought a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with 43,850 miles. I called Audi to make a 45k service and was told it calls for an oil change and brake flush. The cost was $560 :eek:

I didn’t ask what just the oil price was, but I’m tempted to do it myself now for about $120. I assume it’ll be around $200 if I let them do it.

Is the brake flush that important if I don’t have it done? That’s my biggest question. I want to keep everything done correctly, but not sure how important this is at the moment.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The 2014 Touareg that we bought had factory services done like clockwork until 110K when we bought it. According to the records they flushed the brakes all the time. It must have had 4 brake flushes by the time we got it 3 years later if they really did it. Personally, I'd wait until it needed a brake job and do it then.

I think the Audi has the same engine as my Touareg. If so, I did an oil change for about $85 with the kit from ID parts. Despite no dipstick there is a dipstick tube and I had planned to pump the oil out. But my Mityvac 7201 extractor decided to break right as oil appeared in the tube so I decided to pull the drain plug (seals in the selector valve appear to be blown). Not the worst job from underneath, but on the Treg there are about 14 fasteners to pull down a giant belly pan that goes halfway down the car and that part sucked. I think my service records show $160 for an oil change at the dealer so that is probably $200+ at Audi.

So that's what I'd do. Skip the brake flush, DIY the oil change and keep nearly $500 in your pocket.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Brake fluid is pretty important. You know, brakes... they stop the car.

Not sure what the price breakdown is for a 45k service, but according to Alldata it is an oil change, tire rotation, DEF fluid fill.

The air/cabin/fuel filter are done at 55k (Audi's service intervals are slightly different than Volkswagen, for some reason, as they get a 5k service, then every 10k thereafter, Volkswagen goes straight to 10k then every 10k).

It is an expensive vehicle, it will be expensive to maintain. Especially at a dealer. $560 sounds high for all it should get, to be honest. I'd think more in the $300 range would be acceptable.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Brake fluid is pretty important. You know, brakes... they stop the car.
Not sure what the price breakdown is for a 45k service, but according to Alldata it is an oil change, tire rotation, DEF fluid fill.
The air/cabin/fuel filter are done at 55k (Audi's service intervals are slightly different than Volkswagen, for some reason, as they get a 5k service, then every 10k thereafter, Volkswagen goes straight to 10k then every 10k).
It is an expensive vehicle, it will be expensive to maintain. Especially at a dealer. $560 sounds high for all it should get, to be honest. I'd think more in the $300 range would be acceptable.

I understand and realize it’s important, but the brakes work. I guess I am being somewhat cheap and should get it done since I do stuff by the book in my cars.

I was quoted $560 at one dealer for oil change, brake flush, and adblue fill. The adblue should be free, no?

Dealer 2 quoted me $642for 45k service. $373 for oil change and $269 for brake flush.

I asked dealer 2 how much the 55k service would be and he told me $910!!!! I can get most the stuff off idparts for $200 or less and do it myself. Even if I need to buy a vcds scanner it’s still cheaper. I can then do more services myself and save even more money when I have to change my fuel filter on both vehicles. This would help me long term to get to know the vehicles a bit more too.

My big 20k service (every 20k) only cost me about $300 do to at VW. It may be $400 with the fuel filter. I still can’t believe he said $910.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I do most of the basic maintenance on our Cayenne and Jetta. Just did the brakes on the Cayenne for 1/3 the price as the dealer....and that's using OEM parts. I'll probably have my TDI shop do the 50k mile trans service for the Cayenne as the oil needs to go in pre-heated for a accurate level.

oilhammer

TDI
Having worked at a multi-brand luxury dealership for a time, I think some of the cost is due to all the extras you get when you are a service customer there. Free loaners, nice fancy waiting room with a snack and coffee bar, a nice wash and quick detail when done, etc. Some even do concierge service. They'll bring a loaner to your house or work and take your car in for service and bring it back.

Some folks like that, want that, expect that. Some do not care. But in any event, those services are not "free". They have to be paid for somehow, and most big dealers (like the one I worked for) is an albatross of personnel and facilities cost. If you bring your car in for service, it will be touched by a service writer, at least two porters, maybe three, the technician, then you have whatever parts person(s) involved in looking up/obtaining whatever parts are needed, the booking department that does all the paperwork. The cashier. And all the other dozen people that all had some part in making your car's service happen. So it is VERY different than doing something yourself in your garage.

I do think there can be some price gouging on some standard level PM costs, though. Some are worse than others. And sometimes the actual service isn't very good to begin with, no matter the price.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Having worked at a multi-brand luxury dealership for a time, I think some of the cost is due to all the extras you get when you are a service customer there. Free loaners, nice fancy waiting room with a snack and coffee bar, a nice wash and quick detail when done, etc. Some even do concierge service. They'll bring a loaner to your house or work and take your car in for service and bring it back.
Some folks like that, want that, expect that. Some do not care. But in any event, those services are not "free". They have to be paid for somehow, and most big dealers (like the one I worked for) is an albatross of personnel and facilities cost. If you bring your car in for service, it will be touched by a service writer, at least two porters, maybe three, the technician, then you have whatever parts person(s) involved in looking up/obtaining whatever parts are needed, the booking department that does all the paperwork. The cashier. And all the other dozen people that all had some part in making your car's service happen. So it is VERY different than doing something yourself in your garage.
I do think there can be some price gouging on some standard level PM costs, though. Some are worse than others. And sometimes the actual service isn't very good to begin with, no matter the price.
That explains why my local Audi dealership quoted me something outrageous to simply replace the air filter. I told them it was insulting to me they wanted to charge me several hundred dollars for a $15 part and less than 10 minutes of labor.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
It's these reasons why I try to do the most I comfortably can. The dealer wanted $1600 for front rotors/pads and sensors. I was able to purchase all OEM parts and caliper rode to support the calipers while swapping the rotors for $600. For me it was a no brainer and allowed me to inspect suspension components.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Great explanation of dealer costs by OH. Thanks for that perspective.

That said, holy heck a $373 oil change is pretty crazy. Especially since it was $130 for that same engine at a VW dealer in 2016 according to an invoice I have. That is quite a premium. Only DIY or independent shops for me, thanks.

oilhammer

TDI
I would like to add to anyone servicing their own cars, given from the view of a professional to the non-professional: just make sure EVERYTHING actually gets done, AND that everything else gets looked over. All too often, I see the DIYr cars come in here when there is either something "big" they cannot handle, or something they cannot figure out (on a diagnostic scale), and discover the car is a neglected rolling pile of Fail. Not by intention, just by ignorance.

This isn't directed towards anyone in this thread, nor any group of people or specific brand owner at all. Just a general statement. We actually have state inspections here, that REQUIRE at least some level of professional look over the vehicle every other year, and it can be shocking what we see. I also feel that the Iffy Lube chains (Wal-mart included :rolleyes: ) make for some really neglected butchered vehicles. I also see so many DIYrs gladly change their oil twice or thrice as often as necessary... and neglect EVERYTHING else... even things as simple as a tire rotation.

I hate when we have to deliver a multi-thousand dollar estimate when some or all of it could have been avoided had it been addressed sooner, or at least addressed in pieces as required. I end up with a LOT of used cars in my driveway this way. They go ~100k miles since I get to see them, then come in and I grocery list a pile of stuff wrong with them that went unchecked. :(

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My local dealership charges $120 for the brake fluid flush. I have the tools to do it myself (power bleeder), but used the dealership TDI prepaid card to cover the cost of it. I have taken my Audi’s to the local VW dealership for some things such as alignments because they charge less.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I would like to add to anyone servicing their own cars, given from the view of a professional to the non-professional: just make sure EVERYTHING actually gets done, AND that everything else gets looked over. All too often, I see the DIYr cars come in here when there is either something "big" they cannot handle, or something they cannot figure out (on a diagnostic scale), and discover the car is a neglected rolling pile of Fail. Not by intention, just by ignorance.

This isn't directed towards anyone in this thread, nor any group of people or specific brand owner at all. Just a general statement. We actually have state inspections here, that REQUIRE at least some level of professional look over the vehicle every other year, and it can be shocking what we see. I also feel that the Iffy Lube chains (Wal-mart included :rolleyes: ) make for some really neglected butchered vehicles. I also see so many DIYrs gladly change their oil twice or thrice as often as necessary... and neglect EVERYTHING else... even things as simple as a tire rotation.

I hate when we have to deliver a multi-thousand dollar estimate when some or all of it could have been avoided had it been addressed sooner, or at least addressed in pieces as required. I end up with a LOT of used cars in my driveway this way. They go ~100k miles since I get to see them, then come in and I grocery list a pile of stuff wrong with them that went unchecked. :(

I have had all 3 of my VW's serviced at VW for everything, and I credit that to all 3 having zero mechanical issues (including my current '15 Passat TDI).

I most likely will just take the vehicle to Audi to let them look at it and do the 45k service. If I see they do a good job, then I will keep taking it back. If they do a bad job, then I will either try a different Audi dealer, the VW dealer I go to, or just do oil changes myself.

There are kits on idparts.com to do oil changes, cabin filters, fuel filters, etc. I don't mind buying a vcsd scanner if I have to. I've done plenty of oil changes on my vehicles in the past, but never have done any on the VW's we've had or have. For the rest of the things that need to be done I'd probably just take it to Audi to let them do the brake flush, transmission oil change, and whatever else needs to be done.

As far as the adblue, aren't we supposed to get that for free? Even if not, it's pretty cheap to just buy it and pour it myself.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
VW dealer may be reluctant to do anything except basic oil change - they are here. VW scan tool does not work on Audi.

I took my Q7 to an Audi dealer for one major service, mostly as I had no service history for it. Dealer is nearly three hours away and I've nothing to do there except sit and wait so it won't happen too often.

Incidentally, my VCDS does not seem able to reset the Service Reminder on the Q7 - it has a control to do so but it doesn't work. May be just the 2010 ECU - not sure.

seancashmere

TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Not to encourage anyone to neglect their brake service, but if you are observant, your brake fluid flush can wait until you feel some squish in your pedal. If your brakes are engaging quickly and stop you easily, I wouldn't worry about that service. The problem with brake fluid is it doesn't work as effectively if there is air in your lines. It's a closed system so it shouldn't have too much air in the lines but as the fluid ages, heats up, cools off, it tends to break down and can get less effective. It's a good idea to change your brake fluid, but I think the service interval on these are too low and is wasteful, personally. That being said, there's nothing like excellent braking. Nothing!

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Pretty sure the recommended service interval also considers the hygroscopic nature of brake fluid, i.e. to minimize the amount of water absorbed and present in the system. YMMV.
Incidentally, my VCDS does not seem able to reset the Service Reminder on the Q7 - it has a control to do so but it doesn't work. May be just the 2010 ECU - not sure.
Might do a bit of searching on ross-tech's site. (I just reset my 2014 A6 this weekend; I also used VCDS to reset our 2009 Touareg in years past.) There are two ways to perform the SRI, depending on the vehicle; a one step and a 3 step. If the SRI button in VCDS doesn't work, look at the 3 step method.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
On out 2014 Touareg you reset the service interval via the touchscreen. Its dead simple, no VCDS required.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I understand and realize it’s important, but the brakes work.
The brakes that have ABS are a little sensitive to moisture. I try to do my brake fluid service myself every 2-3 years.
When the ABS goes bad, the repairs are substantial.

What I've done is to get a blue colored brake fluid every other brake bleed, in between the clear. That way when you purge the system, you know it's done when the fluid color from the nipple changes.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
You should have a little book titled "2015 Audi Models USA Warranty & Maintenance" in the glove box. There's some good info in it.

Brake fluid flush is every 2 yrs. Not based on miles. The reason: Brake fluid is a glycol/ether not a mineral oil and is hygroscopic (absorbes water). Over time water from the air is absorbed and contributes to corrosion in addition to lowering the boiling point.

OH is spot on. There's more to a service than fluids and filters. 45k is a standard service not a major service, but I always check brakes and rotate tires with every service. The rest I do at 20k +5k.

You certainly can save by doing it yourself, and if you know how to properly inspect the systems, you can do as well as most dealers.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
You should have a little book titled "2015 Audi Models USA Warranty & Maintenance" in the glove box. There's some good info in it.

Brake fluid flush is every 2 yrs. Not based on miles. The reason: Brake fluid is a glycol/ether not a mineral oil and is hygroscopic (absorbes water). Over time water from the air is absorbed and contributes to corrosion in addition to lowering the boiling point.

OH is spot on. There's more to a service than fluids and filters. 45k is a standard service not a major service, but I always check brakes and rotate tires with every service. The rest I do at 20k +5k.

You certainly can save by doing it yourself, and if you know how to properly inspect the systems, you can do as well as most dealers.

We never got a service/owners manual. Whoever owned it before us took them out, along with floor mats. I guess they resold them? I'm just gonna take it to the dealer and have them do everything this go around. I need this vehicle to last, so it's probably cheaper for me to pay now, than later on.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Thanks to ME for pointing out (correctly) why one changes brake fluid. However, 2 years is not very long if you live in a dry place. Most places I have lived are very cold half of the year - and thus extremely low absolute humidity (relative humidity is irrelevant, if you'll forgive the play on words).

I do all of my own service, but I was once a VW mechanic, and later VW/Audi dealer, so I have the tools, and sort of the experience (things change, and I have been long out of the game as a pro, but still a hobbyist). OH is right: very few people do a proper periodic inspection - and sadly I have to comment that this includes most dealerships. You don't usually get the top tech in the shop doing you periodic service.

What REALLY bothers me, though, is I can't buy the factory service manuals from Robert Bentley. I have had the correct information for almost every car and truck over the last half century, including several that were only in my care for a few months. Even all of the experience in the world is no substitute for the bible.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
My wife took the Q7 in today to get the 45k service done, and it was free. Whoever bought the car originally bought Audi car care, which included the 45k service. :D

I guess we got lucky this time, but next time we’ll be paying almost $1k for the 55k service. I don’t feel too bad about them to doing it now.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
We just bought a 2015 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with 43,850 miles. I called Audi to make a 45k service and was told it calls for an oil change and brake flush. The cost was $560 :eek:
I didn’t ask what just the oil price was, but I’m tempted to do it myself now for about $120. I assume it’ll be around $200 if I let them do it.
Is the brake flush that important if I don’t have it done? That’s my biggest question. I want to keep everything done correctly, but not sure how important this is at the moment.
Never, ever get service from a dealer unless it's warranty work. I had some warranty work done on the Adblue sensor on my former Benz ML350 Bluetec at the MB dealer. For grins I asked the dealer what they would charge to install a hitch. They responded $1,100. I asked was that an OEM hitch? They said they'd have to source a hitch; that was just labor. I called my Chicago North Shore independent buddy who works on more high-end German iron than any mechanic outside of Munich. He said U-Haul were the best. U-Haul charged $350 for the hitch, a little over $500 out the door installed with wiring harness hooked up. Find yourself a decent independent to handle anything you can't do yourself. Of course if it's worth the difference to you to sit in a Barcelona chair in the waiting area sipping espresso while you wait, go to the dealer :D

matt94gt

TDI
2014 Q7
FYI I got a 2014 TDI and it had the emissions fix just prior to me purchasing it, and it comes with the next two services free of charge because of the emissions fix. I did NOT buy it from audi directly.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Never, ever get service from a dealer unless it's warranty work. :D

...say many posters on Tdiclub who later complain that their dealer is giving them a hard time honoring the vehicle warranty.

Saving on wasted time, conflict and aggravation has value. I will go to independent specialists when out of warranty, but if the dealer service department does a good job, which my Audi dealer does, I will typically use them when in warranty. Yes, they charge too much, but if I have a claim on my extended warranty between now and 2024, I want them to look at their screen and see I have some loyalty to them. You may think it’s not right to have to do it, but, as I said, look at all the complaints here about slow or uncooperative responses to warranty claims, the worst technician being put on their cars etc.

YMMV

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Never, ever get service from a dealer unless it's warranty work. I had some warranty work done on the Adblue sensor on my former Benz ML350 Bluetec at the MB dealer. For grins I asked the dealer what they would charge to install a hitch. They responded $1,100. I asked was that an OEM hitch? They said they'd have to source a hitch; that was just labor. I called my Chicago North Shore independent buddy who works on more high-end German iron than any mechanic outside of Munich. He said U-Haul were the best. U-Haul charged $350 for the hitch, a little over $500 out the door installed with wiring harness hooked up. Find yourself a decent independent to handle anything you can't do yourself. Of course if it's worth the difference to you to sit in a Barcelona chair in the waiting area sipping espresso while you wait, go to the dealer :D

I never had issues with my VW dealer who has serviced our cars for 8+ years now. I trust them, and only them, to work on my VW. I've never had an issue yet.

We bought an expensive car, and I've come to accept how much it'll cost to maintain this car. My wife doesn't drive a lot as it is, so it should only be about 1 service a year. That's not that bad.

As far as the hitch, I honestly wouldn't trust people at Uhaul to mess with my wife's new Q7. I rather let Audi do it even if it cost me an arm and a leg. I know if I try to save some $$ and something happens that my wife will blame me. I rather let the people who work on these vehicles install the hitch. My wife seemed like she was okay with the price they told her, so that's good enough for me.

As far as an independent dealer, I have tried to find one and haven't had any luck. The only time I found one he said he doesn't do it anymore, so I stopped looking and kept going to the dealer.

I really appreciate the input though and glad you were able to save some $$.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
So my wife's car didn't want to start yesterday, so someone gave her a jump and vehicle worked fine.

Today she called Audi and they came to pick it up. They said it needs a new battery for $600. The current battery warranty expired in November. Great! /s She told them to just do it since the battery is under the seat and looks like a pain in the ass to do. It comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty.

On top of that they said they need to replace the front brakes/rotors for $811.00 and the rear brakes/rotors for $960 for a total of $1,771 + tax.

We said to hold off on the brakes and rotors, so they said that should be fine for a few thousand miles before the light comes on. They said they told us about this on this 45k service check, but they never did.

Either way we're going to do the brakes and rotors, but I'm getting all I can out of these before I spend $1,900 (with taxes).

I need to find a me a guru for this Q7, lol.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Mythdoc gave some good advice about stoking the relationship with the dealer.

You might try to ask if they'd be willing to cover the battery under good will since it's just a few months out of warranty and do the brakes now. See if the manager will do battery and brakes for $2K. They can be really flexible when they want to be and there's fat on the bone. Sometimes there isn't too much fat on the bone--but battery install and brakes should be one of them.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
So my wife's car didn't want to start yesterday, so someone gave her a jump and vehicle worked fine.
Today she called Audi and they came to pick it up. They said it needs a new battery for $600. The current battery warranty expired in November. Great! /s She told them to just do it since the battery is under the seat and looks like a pain in the ass to do. It comes with a 4 year/50k mile warranty.
On top of that they said they need to replace the front brakes/rotors for $811.00 and the rear brakes/rotors for $960 for a total of $1,771 + tax.
We said to hold off on the brakes and rotors, so they said that should be fine for a few thousand miles before the light comes on. They said they told us about this on this 45k service check, but they never did.
Either way we're going to do the brakes and rotors, but I'm getting all I can out of these before I spend $1,900 (with taxes).
I need to find a me a guru for this Q7, lol.
I will hedge my earlier comments somewhat, as living in a very large metropolitan area, it's probably easier to reliably locate a competent independent mechanic with the expertise to fix expensive European vehicles - I have one locally for brakes, tires, oil changes, etc. and for more sophisticated mechanical issues, have a former neighbor and buddy who has grown his Chicago North Shore shop from 2 bays to four and has likely serviced more high-end German iron than any mechanic outside of Munich. Also shout out to OH for his comment as to what you pay for when you go to the dealer. When we took the Q7 in for warranty work (limp mode caused by EGR issue), it was nice to get a new Q7 with 300 miles on it as a loaner, and my wife enjoyed working on her laptop in their waiting area which looks like a conference room cloned from a silk-stocking law firm. Plus the "free" car wash every time you just show up. The "bill" for the EGR work which was covered by the warranty was priced out at $1,550.
However, the same dealer let us know we needed tires (thanks I noticed that when we bought it - tried to get the seller to throw a new set in as part of the deal) and despite the car starting just fine when the temps in Chicago dipped to -22, that the battery is not long for this world. Bottom line - they offered to replace tires and battery for $2,400. Battery replacement alone would cost $600. And they also wanted $195 to program a second key (an Audi dealer 15 miles away is charging us $80).
So, I have a new set of Michelins coming in to my local guy from Tire Rack for just under $800 (plus $75 debit card rebate offer) and he will install them for $20 a wheel. A call to O'Reilly's auto parts confirms IF it needs a battery (see above that it started with no problem when it was -22) the battery with 4 year warranty costs $189. So including the debit card, tires will run me $800 installed. If I need a battery, I'm looking at an additional $200. $1k total for independent plus DIY on the battery as opposed to $2,400. So by not going to the dealer for these I will save $1,400, with no potential warranty issues. In some cases you get what you pay for; however, it's patently clear as respects the tires/battery, if I went to the dealer, it'd be others who got what I was paying for.
As far as the debate as to the dealer v. an independent for more complex mechanical repairs, not a hill to die on for me if others feel they need to patronize the dealer out of caution. However I trust my buddy on the North Shore more far more than any dealer. A poster on another thread had her Q7 TDI blow up 2 days after the dealer was messing with it for 2 weeks. Not saying it's related to anything they did, but my poorly-educated take on that, is if the dealer didn't cause the catastrophic failure, they missed whatever caused it. Not pointing fingers at the dealer as this may have been undetectable, just pointing out that there are no absolute guarantees and we all need to make the best decisions we can with the information available.
As for U-Haul hitches - I have had them on every car I own with no issues. When Mercedes quoted me $1,000 to install a hitch on my ML350, I assumed that was an MB factory hitch; on inquiry, that was for labor only; they DIDN'T KNOW where they would source the hitch. My North Shore mechanic buddy recommends U-Haul to all his customers looking for hitches for their MBs, Lexuses etc. Maybe some have had bad experiences with U-Haul; much may depend on the particular shop. My U-Haul shop has always done quality work with no issues. Regardless, when the ML350 threw a rod through the oil pan, I'm pretty sure the hitch installation had nothing to do with it.
Bottom line - caveat emptor. If I won the lottery, I *might* start taking my car to the dealer for everything. But I doubt it.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
^^ Very well reasoned post, Trae. I do draw the line somewhere — tires, batteries, wipers. These I will not buy at the dealer. For a while my dealer in NH had competitive prices on tires. Here in TN not so much.

A certain amount of dumb luck comes into play. You didn’t have it with your MB, I have had a good run with my VW’s and Audis. Even when the 2.0 TSI’s were ticking time bombs, mine were great. I had the tensioner replaced as a precaution in the Tiguan and looky here, I may be getting paid back for it now under the timing chain settlement. Four TDI’s all have run like tops, before and after dieselgate fix. I’ll keep pushing the button as long as my luck holds, LOL

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I opened this tab days ago but never got around to responding. I think the logic in involving the dealer in major repairs is that in the event like a catastrophic failure, like your friend experienced, the customer can lean against VW for resolution.

If your friendly neighborhood mechanic causes or fails to prevent that failure you're in a much tighter bind. The pathways might seem similar in that one or the other are just as (un)likely to spontaneously offer a new engine and resolution may eventually have to be sought via a courtroom, but customers have a lot more levers to pull before going from A to Z with VW.

When I had the $500 VW card, I price matched tires to an online vendor. I believe price matching tires is specifically listed on VW corporate pages. I think I may have even pointed my dealer's service personnel to that page when he was hesitant to match pricing. If anyone finds themselves in this bind, please consult the corporate pages and see if that policy is still in effect. It won't help with labor, though, which seems to be the driver of those ridiculous prices they were quoting.