Veteran Member
TDI
2005 mini cooper s ,2014 ram 2500 6.7,64 galaxies,
Sold on German title and bill of sale. LOL

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
No way! I would never have expected to see one of them in the states, it's the older version of mine. Similar back end but I have a different front.

Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
No way that has 130bhp unless it's been tuned. It was made before the PD era and will have a VE engine under the bonnet. Either 110 or 90bhp.

Ash :)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't forget we had the PD 130 audi on a 95 plate there abouts though didn't we?

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
I retract my previous statement. The first PD engine introduced was the AJM PD115 which came out in '98. It never made it's way into the 'doba though. I always thought it was 1999 when the PDs were introduced.

The 'doba (Mk2 at that) only got the PD100 and 130 from 2002 onwards.

Ash :)

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is it not different though for the Germans? Would they not have had that sooner?

I had mine at 120mph today:D (On private roads of course)

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Harv, I say do it man ! Would be pretty cool to have :)
I just spent over an hour talking to the owner and the only bummer on the car is the fact there is no A/C. No A/C in SoCA = Me even being more hateful.:p

Anyhoo! I may consider this car if I could find a club member there near Chicago I could give a fee to to go check it out and call me to my cell phone while at the car. It has only been driven to shows and stuff and may only have about 50 miles on it for the year. I would worry about getting parts but, many engine parts should be available and possibly interchangeable with NA TDI eng. types. It is not a PD. It was brought here by a German couple that got the car in for travel. They ran out of money and had some injector work done and couldn't pay the bill and this repair facility took over ownership. It can't in any way be legally registered in any state and therefore it will be a difficult sell and would take the right buyer with the means to overcome such as in a legal dealer plate. Later!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most of the engine parts should be no problem, probably an AHU and the rest you can ask some of us UK folk maybe, easy enough to get most parts, I'm sure you could sort something out and it would be different from everything else you have over there. They're quite good imo lol, very much related to the polo and a lot of parts are interchangeable if you can get them too.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
here kitt, "car was chip tuned in Germany" straight from the ad, that's why it says 130, more likely to be around 125 I'd expect. The ad's right though, it is the best colour ;)

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
only other option is to buy it sit on it for say 12 years then try to register it.......

Lol:D

I think he was on about buying it and running it on garage plates or something and so avoiding having to register it. It's a pity you guys can't import some of the other tdi cars though, I reckon you'd like them.

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
The real challenge is the "Gray Market" title. Has to be up to US emissons and bumper safety ect. Once you get it approved you will have an even harder challenge getting it insured. No one wants to insure a car that they cant get parts for. Good luck I used to be in the Gray Market MBenz business and got out because of the inusrance problems.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
The real challenge is the "Gray Market" title. Has to be up to US emissons and bumper safety ect. Once you get it approved you will have an even harder challenge getting it insured. No one wants to insure a car that they cant get parts for. Good luck I used to be in the Gray Market MBenz business and got out because of the inusrance problems.
BINGO! The vehicle would have to be under a US Customs bond and would then have to be retrofited to meet both USEPA and USDOT standards such as glass, bumpers, headlights, etc. in order to be legally registered. Then there's the emissions compliance which may or may not be a big deal since the engine is very close to a NA AHU. Granted, things may have changed due to 9/11 but generally, if it's a vehicle model that isn't sold here in the US already and there's no letter of compliance from the mfg., it is usually always cost prohibitive to attempt such. By attempting to do so, it could end up being confiscated and crushed by customs. I'm going to say that the only way to do this would be to have it run around on a dealer plate and chances are slim it will ever raise a red flag except for maybe the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.:rolleyes: I may have to pass on this because it doesn't have A/C and I don't have the time nor gumption to retro it with A/C. Bummer, eh? Later!

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The parts are easy, most are the same parts as your golfs etc, I think the struts are Mk2 golf, lower control arms use the same bushes as the Mk4, ball joints etc are all vw parts and the brakes too. The only thing tricky would be body panels and such. As for switches and stuff from inside they could be easily sent over for a fairly low cost. As for the emmissions it's the same system as your Mk3 golf, jetta etc, it has a cat, egr and all that stuff anyway, I can't see that being a problem.