valve cover gasket 2000 jetta tdi

escheffler1985

TDI
2000 vw jetta tdi
does anyone know if they make a gasket for the valve cover on a 2000 jetta tdi ALH? or do i have to buy the whole damn valve cover?

thanks!

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just clean the old one off. You shouldn't need to renew it unless someone left it for mice or a hungry neighbor child to chew on while you were doing something like, oh, a week long timing belt change. But, in the worst case, I guess buying the whole thing will be your best solution just like everyone above me said already. Nope, no separate part.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
you have 2 options:

get a new valve cover

remove, clean, seal with rtv type sealent (reinz is a good one) and re-install.

I rocked a "sealed" cover for years, and just did the same to my cousin's car. it works fine.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
This is an old thread but I thought I would throw in my 2 cents/experience. Yes it is possible to purchase just the gasket for the ALH tdi engine valve covers. I found them at HansAutoParts.com / eMiata.com. They are $5.50 plus shipping. That said, the real job is getting the old gasket off and the valve cover clean. VW glues the gasket to the cover which makes them extremely difficult to remove, but not impossible.

I found the replacement gasket fit perfectly. You will end up using some sort of adhesive to bond them to the valve cover before reinstalling the cover.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I would rather buy a new valve cover assembly than buy a piece of garbage gasket from Prothe - AKA HansAutoParts.com.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
I would rather buy a new valve cover assembly than buy a piece of garbage gasket from Prothe - AKA HansAutoParts.com.
I posted only to point out the gasket itself can be purchased to answer the original question. Not to debate the person selling it. To each his own whether or not one wishes to spend upwards of $200 for a new cover & gasket, use one of the other sealing methods mentioned above in this thread, or to go through the work to replace the gasket.

If the gasket was garbage with regards to fit or material I would have commented as such. I was satisfied with the product but cleaning the valve cover was a real pain in the ass.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Down through the years, I purchased three extra used valve covers for the ALH engine at for cheap prices. I placed them on a custom made support tray under the rain drip of my garage. After months of getting beat with rain water and the gasket given the opportunity to expand back to it's original shape, they seal just fine ...... and, are nice and clean.:D

So, I just rotate valve covers as needed ...

To those environmental minded individuals, the rain drip has crushed stone with leaves on top. The synthetic and Dino oils, as well as soot, biodegrades proto;) ... or, those night crawlers like the stuff!:)