what do I need for an EGR delete?

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I have an BEW 04 tdi Jetta it has over 260k miles and it just started to give me some trouble I need replace the heater core and now the the upper intercooler pipe to the EGR (the clip end) is not staying connected it jumps out every time I press on gas not sure if the clip were out that no makes sense it has a little bit of oil on it and I not sure if this is normal?
I figure take the opportunity to remove the EGR, can anyone give me a guide in how to do it the proper way? I would like to get the best mpg possible. I also wonder what would be the cost? Seams like I have to buy a tuner for $300 Or can I buy a $30 OBDII Chip Module on ebay?
I appreciate any help

Last edited:

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Your hose problem can be fixed with a "doggie collar". They're around 40 bucks from kerma or idparts.

Is your egr cooler leaking? Consider the tune to delete or get a dynamic egr tune. You never know if you might move, a subsequent buyer may need the egr or they may change the rules in your area of the state.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Thanks for the replay. Thats great information this is the one you are talking about? http://www.fixmyvw.com/the-doggie-collar-for-bew-engines/

I think is mine heater core because I smell it inside the car when I turn the heat on also mine windshield is getting grease' I do not see any liquid inside the car but I have to add a 1/2 cup of liquid in about 30 days. I was hopping to be something else but since the windows are getting dirty from inside I am assuming it is due to the heater core.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
That is one version. I was suprised AA Rodriguez would sell something with kermatdi on it. Your leaking heater core needs to be fixed sooner than later. If you can't do it soon at least bypass it by conecting the hoses. It's not worth your health breathing those fumes.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I agree 100% I am waiting to the weather to break I am planing to go to a junk yard and practice remove the dash before I do in mine car. I am on the assumption if I keep the heater set on cold it will not circulate inside the heather-core is that correct? I see this one it has free shipping and they say it will be here sarturday if I order by tonight. https://www.tdiupgrades.com/product-page/volkswagen-vw-bew-tdi-boost-hose-fix-clamp-collar

It should be the same thing correct? or you recommend a different brand?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I've never heard of the company and the design is a little different. I would stick with a known good design from a Comany known for good customer service. Kerma, idparts, fixmyvw are all reputable sources. As far as the junk yard goes if you have the time it would be great train ing session. Make a list of all the little knick nacks you might need. Nuts, bolts, wheel bolts, bolt covers, fuses. A handful of this might be $5 at the yard at least $30 at the parts store let alone the dealer. Buy an oem heater core. You don't want to do it twice.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Yes sir. I am planing to get a good heathercore it looks like a major job. I appreciate all you help will order it next.
Can you tell me were to buy OEM heatercore for a decent price?
Thanks again

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Oem heater cores go for 150 or so. If that's not in your budget I think you should CONSIDER used oem. Full service junk yard $40 but you're
going to pick a part for training, so there's that.
Full serve junk yards can be viewed at car-part.com. there's flea bay but I'm sure you would want to inspect in person for such a critical item. Same core goes in gas or diesel mk4 except 98 beetle. Part #1J1819031B
Non oem cores go for $60 from oem manufacturers. Check the big advertisers here for the particulars

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
wow great video! I appreciate it brother I do have foam flying on my eyes time to time and din't know I could fix it. time consuming job but has to be done.

thanks again