Did it...Malone Stage 2 tune

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They both make great exhausts. It really comes down to personal preference. The 409 option isn't as shiny, but is lighter in weight and a bit cheaper. I'd recommend at least a resonator. You can always splice in the factory suitcase muffler if it's too loud for you.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
They both make great exhausts. It really comes down to personal preference. The 409 option isn't as shiny, but is lighter in weight and a bit cheaper. I'd recommend at least a resonator. You can always splice in the factory suitcase muffler if it's too loud for you.
Aha, so just not as thick of a gauge. I personally don't care if it's shiny or not. As it is, I've always had soot covering the back of my trunk hatch, and my driveway/street isn't paved, so anything shiny doesn't stay that way for long.

I read on some other threads about the engine burning oil (not the diesel variety) after several thousand miles. Something I should worry about, or not really?

GTISMKR

TDI
2014 JSW
I checked and fuel does get cut off when brake is applied on my 2012 MKVI with Malone tune.

If I used my Golf as a track car, it would be nice to be able to hit the brake and accelerator simultaneously to add boost.
Bummer, but thanks for checking, Perry01. Yeah, the mid-corner transition from braking to acceleration often sucks and is usually abrupt to re-engage when back on the throttle.

Left foot braking lets you preload the chassis with power to stabilize it while cornering or lets you have the drivetrain ready to put down power the instant the brake is released. It gives you better control of the overall dynamics of the car.

I used to "road dyno" some of my past cars by doing an acceleration run, but maintaining speed with the brake and thereby making a greater load to the motor, slowly letting off the brakes and letting the tach sweep all the way through the power band you want to log. So, 4th gear, under braking, but accelerating while braking, from 30 to 90 or something like that. Fun and informative!

bluedoggiant

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
I am interested in a stage 2 tune.

Two questions:

Is there any negatives to not making any modifications to the exhaust system?

Is the total price (with the dsg tune) ~$1050? Since the dsg tune is not included in the price of the ecu tune?

Thanks.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I've had the Malone 1.5 for about 25,000 miles now with no problem, and the car is always fun to drive (I have the 6 sp std transmission). I put it on the dyno (dynojet) after the tune was done and got 162 hp and 293 tq. I average about 44-45 MPG on mostly two lane rural roads. I love driving this car, but have to fight my wife for possession. She loves it as much as I do.

I'm waiting for VW to notify me of the fix for their EPA cheating and if I understand what's happening all they need to do with my 2014 JSW is adjust the software. I've contacted the technician who installed my 1.5 tune and he said that for another $100 he would reinstall the tune after VW made their changes, which would bring me back to where I am now. But I think I'll just pay the extra and go for the Malone 2.0 tune and now I just need to decide if I want to do the delete also. In my county they only smog vehicles when you buy or sell, and I'll be keeping my little JSW for many years so smogging is not a problem.

I'll be spending some time on this forum to eveluate the pros and cons of the 2.0 tune with and without deleting.

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
I wouldn't let them touch your ecm, once they reflash forward beware you might not enjoy your car nearly as much. JMO

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
I have an appointment monday to spend my Goodwill money on a Stage 2 Malone Tune, I pretty much only have to pay the shop fee out of pocket, so bout $150ish

keeping the dpf for now, when I get some vacation property secured I'll just register it there, delete dpf and pay for an update.

cant wait, been wanting to do this for 45k miles now.. its never going back to a dealer again.

bluedoggiant

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
I have an appointment monday to spend my Goodwill money on a Stage 2 Malone Tune, I pretty much only have to pay the shop fee out of pocket, so bout $150ish

keeping the dpf for now, when I get some vacation property secured I'll just register it there, delete dpf and pay for an update.

cant wait, been wanting to do this for 45k miles now.. its never going back to a dealer again.
What about the DSG tune?

In other words. How is it just going to cost ~150 over the 550 price of the tune? I assume you're not doing DSG?

I hear it's required.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
DSG Tune? lol no, I only own manual transmissions.. partly for reasons like this.

Last edited:

iadubber

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
What about the DSG tune?

In other words. How is it just going to cost ~150 over the 550 price of the tune? I assume you're not doing DSG?

I hear it's required.

You can get a stage 2 without the DSG tune but it will be torque limited so you are losing out on the full experience of the engine tune.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
tuned, I got better mpg driving home romping on it then I did lollygagging it to boulder for the tune.. had 40mpg when I got to the shop and 42mpg when I got home.

did not get to play that much with it, a mere 40 miles and the roads are pretty crappy and wet.. I tried to mash the pedal down and it just spun and hit the real redline in the first two gears.. I did see a bit of torque steer making a left across traffic, dont recall that ever happening before.. the most dramatic thing I noticed before I got out of the lot, no hesitation anymore.. that alone is worth a tune imo.

Apikol Malone Stage 2'd me, did a good job but were a little afraid that dieselgate might force me back.. thanks but this car will never see a dealer after today and i'll put my money on that.

also thank you VWOA for picking up most of the tab.. I activated my card on the way to the tuner, and discarded it in his trash soon after.

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Can they install the Malone tune through the OBD port, without cracking open the ECU? Or does the ECU still need to be removed and opened up?

elcid86

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I've had the Malone 1.5 for about 25,000 miles now with no problem, and the car is always fun to drive (I have the 6 sp std transmission). I put it on the dyno (dynojet) after the tune was done and got 162 hp and 293 tq. I average about 44-45 MPG on mostly two lane rural roads. I love driving this car, but have to fight my wife for possession. She loves it as much as I do.

I'm waiting for VW to notify me of the fix for their EPA cheating and if I understand what's happening all they need to do with my 2014 JSW is adjust the software. I've contacted the technician who installed my 1.5 tune and he said that for another $100 he would reinstall the tune after VW made their changes, which would bring me back to where I am now. But I think I'll just pay the extra and go for the Malone 2.0 tune and now I just need to decide if I want to do the delete also. In my county they only smog vehicles when you buy or sell, and I'll be keeping my little JSW for many years so smogging is not a problem.

I'll be spending some time on this forum to eveluate the pros and cons of the 2.0 tune with and without deleting.

Why would you want to update to VW's new "fix" and chance a loss of perform ace and MPG? I'd say stay as-is.

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hello,

I'd consider "the fix" if doing so would keep me off big brother's radar. It's tough to be certain until the fix comes out and we see what the EPA or the states choose to do regarding enforcement of the fix.

I think having a cloned ECU is a great idea. VW can "fix" the factory ECU and then the owner can return the clone to service. :)

Scott

hardint

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 gl
Personally big Brother can KMA !!! The clone idea is sweet if you have the ability , I learned the hard way with a Smarty programmer for Cummins updates are a one way street sometimes, No way back for the poor !!!! JMO
Best of luck to you but with the all eyes on VW today I'd be VERY Skeptical of the fix !!!

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
A clone ECU? I think I'm going to purchase a Flashzilla v3 from Malone which will allow me to switch from stock to present tune in minutes. It's only $180. No need to purchase an ECU or deal with removal and re-installation.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
I got a junkyard ECU for $100. It worked fine after clearing crash codes and addressing the immobilizer. In my 2014, an ECU switch literally takes under a minute. :)

Last edited:

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
:(
The only thing I'm undecided on for tuning is the DPF delete kit - rawtek or buzzken. And I'm pretty new to exhaust, so other than recommendations, I'm not sure if I need a resonator, catback, or both. I don't want the sound to be annoying. I'm also contemplating jumping right up to a Stage 3 with another turbo, but still not yet sure.

On fuel economy - what did y'all get before getting the Stage 2? I've been getting around 29-34mpg average (cracked or clogged DPF, cruise control on highways, speed being 65-75mph).
From the pictures the welds on the Rawtek look nicer. But At this point I care about functionality. unless the price is pretty close.

Buzzken also offers a 2.5" option for $500. Any comments on this? Or is the 3" recommended?

There will be a reducer into the factory exhaust anyways. So not seeing the advantage of 3".

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
A clone ECU? I think I'm going to purchase a Flashzilla v3 from Malone which will allow me to switch from stock to present tune in minutes. It's only $180. No need to purchase an ECU or deal with removal and re-installation.
From their site:
"Some 2009+ TDI ECUs are not immediately supported. Most OBD2 flash tools like this one cannot read most 2009+ ECU software."

This means we would not have the factory file. Unless Malone is willing to send you both a factory file and a tuned file.

But without the factory file this option is not as attractive. Have you looked into this?

Any info is appreciated because for $180 I would not mind retaining the option of going back to stock!

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
From their site:
"Some 2009+ TDI ECUs are not immediately supported. Most OBD2 flash tools like this one cannot read most 2009+ ECU software."
This means we would not have the factory file. Unless Malone is willing to send you both a factory file and a tuned file.
But without the factory file this option is not as attractive. Have you looked into this?
Any info is appreciated because for $180 I would not mind retaining the option of going back to stock!
If you have a 2009 that isn't supported, you can send Malone your ECU and he will unlock it and provide a free tune according to his website.

Every customer has a list of files as upgrades are done to the ECU, it's possible Malone has the original tune. I have no need for my stock tune but if I am forced by VW to have a software update to receive compensation, I can have them reflash my ECU then with the Flashzilla, I can re-install my current tune before leaving the dealership.

BTW, my 2012 ECU is buried behind th firewall and is a pain in the ass to remove which makes having the Flashzilla v3 a nice option.

wild03

Veteran Member
TDI
If you have a 2009 that isn't supported, you can send Malone your ECU and he will unlock it and provide a free tune according to his website.

Every customer has a list of files as upgrades are done to the ECU, it's possible Malone has the original tune. I have no need for my stock tune but if I am forced by VW to have a software update to receive compensation, I can have them reflash my ECU then with the Flashzilla, I can re-install my current tune before leaving the dealership.

BTW, my 2012 ECU is buried behind th firewall and is a pain in the ass to remove which makes having the Flashzilla v3 a nice option.
The way I read that was that by not supported they mean you cannot read the ECU with Flashzilla and send them the file for them to mod. If they do not have a stock file already for your ECU they will ask you to send the ECU so they can grab the stock file for their database and in exchange they will give you a free modded file.
Chances are they already have stock files for 09 ECUs so if I was to buy Flashzilla they will ask me to tell them the ECU ID and they would email a modded file. Hence overwriting the current stock file.
If they would send me both stock and modded. Then it seems like the way to go.

Isn't this how it works?

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
From the pictures the welds on the Rawtek look nicer. But At this point I care about functionality. unless the price is pretty close.
Buzzken also offers a 2.5" option for $500. Any comments on this? Or is the 3" recommended?
There will be a reducer into the factory exhaust anyways. So not seeing the advantage of 3".
That entirely depends on how far your plans to go are...
From the research I've done and questions I've asked tuners and exhaust makers here on the forums... Everything up to stage 3.5 I think that the 2.5" turbo back is fine.

Do your future plans include a big GTB turbo? Then a 3" turbo back is likely the best way to go.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
I have a love hate relationship with forums. You learn about great upgrades such as these which improve performance and gets better MPG which aren't really necessary but create powerful desire. The Malone stage 2 is now on my want list. Maybe I can rationalize it by what I learned here repairing my sunroof drains myself rather than paying the dealer. A stretch but anything to help in my pursuit of cheap hp.

A couple of great mods I learned here and just completed just cost $100. I added Osram Rallye 65w headlight bulbs and DeAutoKey backup and brake LEDs.

So maybe I should do more DIY and can better justify my upgrades without trying to fool myself.

mr_y82

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have... '11 Golf, 6-spd, 2-door
^haha, heard that!

I personally would not do anything that involves removing any parts until after VW and EPA have sorted out this mess... If a mandatory recall (esp. one that involves hardware changes and urea injection?) were to somehow be enforced, many of us would be screwed... esp. since my dpf accidentally got relocated thousands of miles away to help out a fellow forum member... lol... and my HP and LP egr parts are in the shed...

Just to address a few topics that came up in the thread... the ones I remember...

-BuzzKen doesn´t look as pretty, but I think it´s pretty resistant to corrosion even though it´s not the same grade of metal as Rawtek (http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/professoroverdrive/answer/3932)... I just could not justify the price difference for myself, but to each his own.

-We tied into the stock muffler because everything I was told and read said the power gains were the same... In that case you can get away without a resonator and not have drone, but I did go for the cat instead, which helps with sound some and possibly a little with the smell, but not much... (no resonator).

-Stage 2 tune is awesome, with the exhaust it has a neat little whistle that is more obvious than before... buy good performance tires or the car really will just spin if you start extra aggressively... just like nayr said...

.. roads are pretty crappy and wet.. I tried to mash the pedal down and it just spun and hit the real redline in the first two gears..
-mileage... we picked up about 3.5mpgs, but my wife does 2 hrs a day, ~70% interstate at 75ish... If it were my daily driver it would not be as good for multiple reasons (shorter trip with lots of bends and a heavy foot...).

-smoke... have not noticed any... prob on some startups or heavy acceleration there could be some, but it is negligible... Mark´s a smart guy, not a coal roller, haha.

-oil burning... ours uses less than it did before it finished breaking in... I usually top up between changes, but it´s not an issue... we are coming up on 90,000 mi soon...

edit: and if I recall, someone mentioned the throttle response improvement is worth the entire cost... not too far from the truth... car becomes harder to stall (only an issue when we first owned it) and more fun to drive!

I've had the Malone 1.5... I put it on the dyno (dynojet) after the tune was done and got 162 hp and 293 tq..
dang! that seems good at the wheel for a 1.5! My old motorsports shop is no longer open... :( they had a mobile dyno...

I'd consider "the fix" if doing so would keep me off big brother's radar.
I have to say I do kinda regret my timing for the tune and mods... it´s a big waiting game now!

Last edited:

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
The only thing I'm undecided on for tuning is the DPF delete kit - rawtek or buzzken. And I'm pretty new to exhaust, so other than recommendations, I'm not sure if I need a resonator, catback, or both. I don't want the sound to be annoying. I'm also contemplating jumping right up to a Stage 3 with another turbo, but still not yet sure.

On fuel economy - what did y'all get before getting the Stage 2? I've been getting around 29-34mpg average (cracked or clogged DPF, cruise control on highways, speed being 65-75mph).
I'm using the older Rawtek setup but I can move to a Stage 3 with no problems with my current piping. Buzzken I think can do the same. Resonator helps with drone on highway, catback is your call for the stage 3. I get 40-47 mpg on stage 2 between 65-75 depending on temperature outside.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Figure I'll add my two cents fwiw:

Had Les and co. at GDM install the Rawtek system (only keeping the stock muffler), EGR race pipe, along with the Malone Stage 2 tune and DSG software.
I'm very happy with it so far. Smoother acceleration, better mpg by about 5mpg, gobs of torque, and that lovely whistle coming from the turbo now. Also, with just some simple pipes the car has lost some weight too. I'm looking forward to some "spirited" drives to really explore the new software.

I swear GDM is a gateway drug. I'm already making plans for the CP3 conversion, CR170 turbo, Stage 3 tune, and either OZ Superturismo or Ultraleggera when the current set of tires wear out . :D

Last edited:

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Cruising at 65mph the motor would be right around 2100rpm in sixth. Now it seems like the motor is around 1900rpm at that same speed. Is it the tune? Is it placebo? I'm not sure. Just an observation I've made.
Unless the tuning contained nano bots that went into your transmission and changed the size of your gears, that's not physically possible. You just weren't paying good enough attention to your rpm's before. :D