2002 Jetta TDI 01M transmission replacement options

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Good evening, first tread newbie to the TDI Forum, please be gentle (and patient),

Problem: 2002 Jetta TDI 224,000 miles with 01M transmission which I have nurtured and eventually "locked" after slipping/difficulty engaging in Reverse, 1st & 2nd gear for the last 30,000 miles when it was diagnosed as "finished" by the dealership.

Background: I am a Disabled Veteran with a damaged left leg (getting worse) which has confined me to using automatic transmission. Sadly enough using a 5-speed conversion or my other 2001 manual TDI is no longer an option for me. I have read many forum comments/threads recommending the above and I am a bit confused. I do most of my own maintenance.

Question: I would like to use a rebuilt transmission and preserve my car.
- Is there a different (used/rebuilt) transmission such as a 5-speed automatic that would be retrofitted in my TDI?
- If a professionally rebuilt 01M is the only solution, what/who would the TDI Club experts recommend? I read some good comments about IPT Performance Transmissions in NJ. Anyone else? I can drop the car off within 800 miles from Portland, ME, family helping.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you, Ciao, L
PS: I am very kind if not obsessive/compulsive caring for my vehicles (still have my first car circa 1970) so a bullet/idiot-proof transmission is not a requirement for me.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
coolairvw is the expert on here if you wanna look up everything there is to know about the 01M.

a good used trans is the cheapest option and they do come up for sale often enough by ppl doing 5 speed swaps as a preventative matter. rebuilds are considered hit or miss... unless you spend like 4K to get it straight from VW...

the next newer trans on the 2004+ jettas isnt compatible to swap into a 2002

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Start here Lancelot;

http://kansascitytdi.com/

Lots of information on the 01M, and from all
reports, they can actually fix them! I sold mine for a song after my swap to a 5 speed. They do pop up in the classifieds.

If you find a used one, a fluid/filter change and adding a cooler can keep them going sometimes. I found putting mine in "touring" (something like that, instead of "adaptive") mode with VCDS, and then manually shifting it made a real difference.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
First of all, thanks for your service. :)

As said above, give the guy in KC a call. Maybe he can source you a good condition used 01m. Installing a later (Pump Duse engine) automatic like the 09a Asian trans is not an option without a lot of headaches.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We have an 02 w/ the 01m which is on it's second life after a rebuild. It is doable.
Only use a local shop with experience doing these and a 2-year/ 24k mile warranty.
We have made considerable use of the warranty since the rebuild and made sure
they 'reset' it each time it went back. It's working pretty well now for 12k miles.

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Bug, Skid Plate, Stage 1 Upsolute
Firstly, If you can get another car with a ore reliable automatic transmission do so. The 01m no matter who manufactures it will never be reliable. I have had the common failure points mitigated and then the transmission failed due to the differential failing and breaking the transmission case- end of the road.
Autobahn in Reading, PA does rebuild this things for around $ 2,100.00. But be prepared to go back a few times to fix things that break under warranty:http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=413383
Next don't take your car to the dealer. I would use Herm in Richmond: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=413383

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
These are actually VERY reliable if the fluid/filter is changed OFTEN. I service many on their first trans with 300K plus on them. While they don't always shift perfectly they have proven to be more reliable than a lot of other autoboxes in the industry.

All related to an aforementioned trans shop is now removed due to issues with several of their transmissions. Not a happy camper now.

Last edited:

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes I was ttalking about Dubble's. They do a good job on the 01M given its structural and design limitations.
I know of at least 3 01M transmissions that were serviced regularly that failed via broken internal seals, bad differentials cracking the case, or pressure loss that could not be isolated with out a proper test stand.
I also know that Jason sells the transmission from 5 speed swaps to Dubble's as cores so is very familar with them. The remanufacturing of the 01M may be nearing an end due to no new supply of Planetary Gear Sets. If you have source of them Dubble's would want to talk to you. Her is their link: https://www.dubbles.com/
I would suggest you talk to Herm and see if he would install their reman 01M if you want to go this route. The kit the send is complete and easy for an experienced VW mechanic to do.

Last edited:

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I always see low-mileage 01m cars for sale. I can only imagine that there's also a representative amount to be found in wrecking yards. How low is low enough? No idea.

At about 170k miles I had the valve body replaced (with one from CoolAirVW) and the fluid changed. Someone in the past had done some transmission work on the car (got it with about 165k miles), but no idea what that was. The trans triggered a "bad" code, twice, and while it was quite a while between codes I decided to be proactive. Time will tell whether what I had done will be cost effective or not. Car belongs to the daughter and is operated in a big metropolitan area, a manual trans is out of the question. I figure it all cost-averaging: car was fairly cheap; I've got it fully maintained now, better than any other used car, if the trans can do a couple of years I figure it's money well-spent.

If only there was a way to figure out why certain 01m transmissions defy most odds I'd think that there could be a pretty sizable resurgence in these cars. Of course, all of our other cars (four others) are manuals (one being an 02m).

VLS_GUY

Veteran Member
TDI
In my limited experience in Southern California operating in a hot area with lots of high speed highway travel is a certain way to lower the life of a 01M. This is why I like to change the transmission fluid every couple of years with improved fluid. I don't want to operate with cooked transmission fluid given the material (valve bodies, seals etc.) and design choices (differential housing, fluid flow) VW made on this thing.
One thing to remember: Change the differential fluid on your 01M. It is frequently over looked, a failed differential will often break the case, rendering the transmission unusable as a remanufacture core.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Great point to note the diff fluiid. I made sure to change that in the daughter's wagon.

mrseadog

TDI
2002 Jetta
I have used Dubbles twice ( I have 2, 02 TDI's) and would probably use them again is the need arose. Both transmissions were replaced in the 220,000-240,000 mile range. One car now has about 270,000 on it and the other 295,000.

The wife does not do manual transmissions so there is zero chance of ever going that route.

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Thank you for the valuable advice

I would like to thank the members of the club for their valuable advice - I will follow your recommendation(s) and call these references to find a suitable replacement and/or rebuild.

I really appreciate also that no one "shot at me" especially after asking a question on a topic that has been beaten to death in the forum... since being a Veteran, I am kind of "sensitive" to being shot at physically or ...verbally.

Thank you again to the TDIClub community.

May Peace be with you all, Ciao, L

PS: If anyone needs to protect their prize TDI against air attacks, I have some experience in the matter and can help you establish an effective defense perimeter or BARCAP ;)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Don't sweat the perceived negative comments, people have different perspectives and you'll find most everyone here just tries to help. It is the internet.
As was said, a low mileage unit from the salvage yard is the least expensive option. Rebuild you want to check out the rebuilder.
Being ignorant in these matters, I wouldn't rule out a new one. If anyone has any, what are they going to do with 'em?
www.car-part.com

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Hi BobnOH,
Thank you for the advice (and reassurance), it makes a lot of sense.

I will keep the club informed of my progress,
Ciao, L

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Sorry to butt in, but, is there any way to utilize a gas 01M in the diesel alh car.......like the good-working FDF I am getting ready to pull from my 2002 gasser?

If not, is it a matter of the braking system and computer not being willing to work with the different final drive?

Thank you...it is an honest question.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Sorry to butt in, but, is there any way to utilize a gas 01M in the diesel alh car.......like the good-working FDF I am getting ready to pull from my 2002 gasser?

If not, is it a matter of the braking system and computer not being willing to work with the different final drive?

Thank you...it is an honest question.
Its a matter of the gear ratios are wrong and you'll be running down the highway at too high of rpm. WONT WORK.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I always wondered if you could integrate the Jateco 5 speed used in the 04 and 05.0 PD cars with a late ALH... The CAN buss should be the same speed. I'm sure one of the ECU tuners here could provide some more information.

-J

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
If a mechanic were involved it would be cheaper to buy a PD car, or even to pay for rebuilding the 01m. If your suggesting a DIYer might want to do that, maybe that would be financially feasable, but still a whole lot of work.

Geordi

Veteran Member
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is reall
TDI
14 JSW DSG, 03 Wagon 01M, 400k and IPT performance auto!
I have bought and use one of the builds from IPT - VERY VERY happy customer here. New torque converter, super solid lockup when it is commanded, and I not only got the whole transmission built too, but I got to see him doing it. They aren't sent out, he is a small business (just a couple people that grew up eating transmissions for 3 meals a day) and knows exactly what he is doing.

I trust John, and haven't had any issues at all.
A couple of key points though:
Synthetic fluid. Any good Dexron/Mercon for this unit is what he suggested, I use Mobil One Synthetic. Spendy but great stuff.
Keep the transmission cool. Transmission oil is basically 20 weight oil, and flows just fine in the cold, otherwise you'd never be able to drive any car in the winter without a transmission pan heater. Use an external cooler, the tiny factory "plate cooler" allows the temps in stop-and-go traffic to exceed 230 degrees. With an external cooler and the AC on (assuming it is hot outside) the fans move enough air that the fluid never exceeds 205, and it takes a LONG time to get there. Normal operating temp is 170-180, basically perfect. The torque converter makes lots of heat, the factory "cooler" is passing 200 degree water through it, so most of the time it is ADDING heat not taking it away. This transmission likes to be cooler.

Change the fluid - Every 40k. It isn't hard, and your transmission's lifespan depends on it. I have been intentionally running with extra fluid (no other changes) to see what difference it makes and monitoring temps and performance, and the result is that I believe a bit extra to be beneficial to overall performance, versus the risk of draining too much and running low because of the way you have to set the level. Too much is definitely less bad in my opinion than not enough. My brother in law will attest to that, he incinerated a transmission by driving it with not enough fluid, when I kept warning him that the red drips weren't blood on the ground! (yes it had a leak, he never did figure out where, but he is an idiot.)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Are you using the Mobil1 Allison spec fluid, or something different?

After tooefing over fluids for far too long, I decided to use the Mobil1 Allison spec fluid in my Mercedes. It's been about 20k miles now (the factory change interval for city driving), I should send some out for analysis.

-J

Lancelot1953

TDI
2001 TDI, 2002 TDI
Hi Gentlemen,

Sorry for my silence and the lack of "progress" - surgeries (me, not the Jetta).
Back to my (or the Jetta's problem).
Called Dubble's - very nice people but currently their rebuilder is also having surgery, they will advise in 2 weeks. They want the entire car (i.e. put the trans in themselves which is what was recommended in previous posts),
Called IPT Trans - They only rebuild transmissions, I would have to take it out, have it put in and electronically set by a third party (not good),
Called Herm (Maine), great person who served on the same ship as I did - small world - He told me to sell/give/scrap the car (because of the transmission).
Being the original owner I would like to save the car.
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone/shop anywhere from Maine to Norfolk VA - I would bring the car over and reestablish old friendships/conflicts with any fellow Navy service members along the East Coast at the same time ;-)
BTW: Would anyone have a loaded non-rusted 2001~2003 Station Wagon (Jetta or Passat) 5-speed with on-board computer who is looking for a gentle loving older family and heated garage (for sale)?
Thank you in advance, Ciao, L

Dizzy.618

TDI
2000 Golf
7-26-19
My Golf TDI is down now. A month ago it got an engine with injector pump at 385 k because it was cheeper than Pump only and I heard it run. I put 144k on the last setup and rebuilt the front end looking to hit 500k with it.I got to drive it 1 month before the tranny started 2nd and 3rd no OD. From there valve body $200 and 3rd gear only.
I gave up on my repair shop and broght it home. It was doing 41 MPG consistant.
I had to buy another car. Now what am I going to do with this one Ive tied up a bundle in?
Suggestions The Battery has already crapped from sitting.
TY Dizzy.618