2012 passat tdi

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
is vcds capable of accessing the electromechanical steering on the 2012 tdi, and are there adjustments for amount of steering assist?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I don't think cars beyond 2006 are adjustable. That said I haven't upgraded to a CAN bus cable... hoping Suds will come over tomorrow and we'll check on my car :)

-J

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Thanks, I thought not, although the dealer sad it was

Sebastian

Vendor
...and technically he is not wrong. :) The difference between the old and new ones is that when it comes to the characteristic curves they are not just selected but uploaded. Early on there were only 15 or so maps for all models and brands using that steering aid. They quickly realized that wasn't enough and ended up with a different scheme. So the hardware and software is still the same but the characteristic curves/maps are being selected manually based on the options. So what does this say? The dealer can upload a different map but his choices are limited. So a Tiguan will not gain the GTI maps anymore and the same probably applies to the Passat. Hope what I am writing does make some sense to you. :)

Sebastian

Vendor
Change in general is, but it's not something that is as easy as changing a number (as before). So my recommendation unless you have too much time and money (dealer will certainly charge you), just leave it as it is.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I told the dealer that it was unacceptable as compared to the b5.5 and I wouldn't buy one because overassisted steering of the 2012. They offered to adjust one so I could try it, hoping to sell me one. Maybe I should see if they can in fact download a different mapping.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I always thought the steering on dad's 04 was under-boosted. The passat has a lot of assist when you're moving slowly, but if you want to drive something overboosted go drive a new Kia Optima.

-J

Sebastian

Vendor
2004 would be a 3B model, while the 3C and A3 (NMS) both use electro-mechanical steering - totally different so I kinde get where thodershorts is going here even though I have to admit I just buy a proper car to begin with. ;)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps I'm just used to and like the feel of the road, whereas most people really don't care. On slippery surfaces, over assist could be a real hazzard. Some of my favorite cars have had no assist at all, like my 930 and my 300sl roadster. For those that remember Chysler was one of the first with their "full time" power steering which removed all road feel. it was a big selling point.

xreyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
1.6CR TDI Seat Leon Ecomotive
When you guys say assist, do you mean steering weight? I know a few guys who've changed them on the likes of Golfs and SEAT and Skoda models.