Kerma/malone stage 2 tune, which would better fit a daily driver?

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Wondering which tune is smoother? As in, I want the full power the tune can offer, but I want the car to be smooth and not jerk when I tap the go pedal. Just wondering what others thoughts are about their stage 2 tunes from them. I know they make about the same power, so if they are both good as far as "smoothness" I'll probably go with the tuner that is closer...thanks in advance guys.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Malone probably has one of the best pedal mappings. Its extremely smooth, zero jerk.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Good to know, thanks. That's kind of what I've been gathering from reading reviews, but it's good to hear someone say it. I think I'll be going Malone.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Charlies (Kerma) tunes are real smooth, and that exactly why i switched to him.

Plus they are powerful with little to no smoke, he likes clean tunes

Plus I can get what i want and he will just tune the darn car, he doesn't tell me what he recommends for a easy job for him.

nothing against any others tuners, but I'm the darn customer here.

Kerma made an amazing smoke free tune for Race nozzles and a stock turbo for my car
its the fastest stock turbo'ed car i ever drove. FACT with no smoke. yes the Race nozzles are calibrated and that helps but wow 17 psi and RACE nozzles no smoke smooth big torque. I'm impressed

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
I always thought most of the tuners out there aimed for no smoke and tried to give you want for your car?? In all the reviews I haven't seen anything saying otherwise...And no smoke is important to me too, smoke looks terrible in excess IMO and is childish. Although every once in a while there is nothing wrong with being a kid again :).

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Most tuners, are against big nozzles, saying its unsafe, lots of smoke, impossible, whatever ( for a somewhat stock car)

most fuel fed during the injection window, not before or after. got me power that i never thought possible with a VNT15

so there is difference... just sharing my story, nothing else

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Dave - I honestly don't think I've seen any tuners really say that. I've seen other members stating such a thing.

With such large nozzles, I can't imagine that the tune will be ok the first shot. Most people don't want to invest in the loader or chip burner to iterate the tune and adjust actuators and other stuff as they are needed. The tune needs to be set up for the nozzles, not the other way around. Tune then huge nozzles doesn't work - I think that is what most peoples problem is.

Jon

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Most tuners, are against big nozzles, saying its unsafe, lots of smoke, impossible, whatever ( for a somewhat stock car)

most fuel fed during the injection window, not before or after. got me power that i never thought possible with a VNT15

so there is difference... just sharing my story, nothing else
Got a dyno? I'd love to see the sheet.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Dave - I honestly don't think I've seen any tuners really say that. I've seen other members stating such a thing.

With such large nozzles, I can't imagine that the tune will be ok the first shot. Most people don't want to invest in the loader or chip burner to iterate the tune and adjust actuators and other stuff as they are needed. The tune needs to be set up for the nozzles, not the other way around. Tune then huge nozzles doesn't work - I think that is what most peoples problem is.

Jon
Your right

actually, there was discussion, then a tune,
I installed the injectors, then loaded the tune. car runs great

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a dyno? I'd love to see the sheet.
that's a good idea, but whats the sense, if the numbers where high, there would be talk that the dyno is bogus. no matter what there would be doubt. so why waste the cash.

you should just drive the car and tell me what you think!

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Dave, do you have a egt gauge? Just curious, also, how does a colt cam compare to a stock alh cam's characteristics?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
that's a good idea, but whats the sense, if the numbers where high, there would be talk that the dyno is bogus. no matter what there would be doubt. so why waste the cash.

you should just drive the car and tell me what you think!
If you're even in town, I'm down! :)

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I've got DBW PP764 bosio nozzles and Malone dyn EGR stage 2 tune. It's a match made in heaven. I have power, only a haze on WOT, and economy if I keep my foot under control. Definitely the WOW factor.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
I've got DBW PP764 bosio nozzles and Malone dyn EGR stage 2 tune. It's a match made in heaven. I have power, only a haze on WOT, and economy if I keep my foot under control. Definitely the WOW factor.

nice fleet you have there:D

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Very nice, so your happy with the dynamic egr tune I take it? And do you think it's worth the extra cash?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Well I do know the oil stays cleaner visually in all my cars running dyn EGR. Worth it? Well I'm getting 50+mpg on summer fuel on the freeway mountain driving and the engine not swallowing exhaust must be a plus.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Can't you just unhook the vacuum line from the egr and cap the source to get the same effect? Hypothetically of corse...Or does the dynamic egr tune help with cylinder temps too? Or something else??

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
The dyn egr tune retains normal egr function to help with warm up until the engine attains I believe 150*F. Then shuts off. I guess you could plug the vacuum line but you would probably end up with a CEL.

rt_hawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi Q7 TDI S-Line
Right, but then Malone could get rid of the cel with the regular stage 2 tune right? It would just take longer for the car to warm up....I think I'm going with the dynamic egr/idle tune. I like being warm fast, although it's not a big deal this year...Going down to Iowa to get tuned tomorrow afternoon!

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
opinions are like ___; everyone's got one, and they all stink but mine. BUT - I've driven RCs, mikes, malones, etc. Kerma's a more drivable, and easier on the equipment; in my most humble opinion.

Charlie's tuning broke all the power records (100, 120, 150, 200, 250, 300...) on this side of the pond, with the exception that oldman was the first over 180hp. I think it's fair to say he can do more with a given hardware package than any other tuner.

BlownBusa

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE+ DSG
Here ya go guys... :D

Charlie tuned my car with 7 hole 2PP764 the 1st time. It's been said it can't be done... From what I have and am experiencing um... He did it!!! Everything is in check! Do your research, he's GOT the time in the tuner seat to know his stuff!

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field.
-Niels Bohr

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
The problem with people's opinions on tunes on this site is that they are very subjective, opinionated, and biased. I personally like my kermatdi tune, but people with tunes from rocket chip, Malone, vwmikel, etc will say the same about their tuners. Charlie is very helpful when it comes to adjusting your tune based on what you want, and what you are experiencing. That being said, if I were to get another tdi, I would call Charlie and purchase a tune for it from him based on ease of dealing with kermatdi. They answer the phone when you call them.

DervPwr

TDI
León ASV
Charlies (Kerma) tunes are real smooth, and that exactly why i switched to him.

Plus they are powerful with little to no smoke, he likes clean tunes

Plus I can get what i want and he will just tune the darn car, he doesn't tell me what he recommends for a easy job for him.

nothing against any others tuners, but I'm the darn customer here.

Kerma made an amazing smoke free tune for Race nozzles and a stock turbo for my car
its the fastest stock turbo'ed car i ever drove. FACT with no smoke. yes the Race nozzles are calibrated and that helps but wow 17 psi and RACE nozzles no smoke smooth big torque. I'm impressed
Hi Dave,

That sounds great,

Is your VNT15 one of the older ones, or is it a new replacement one?

Is there any reason the boost is set at 17 psi? - i.e. the recommended old limit was 18 psi, and 20 psi on newer ones.

What pressure are the R520s calibrated to?

Thanks

DervPwr

TDI
León ASV
Diesel-dave: what ft/lbs torque are you getting now with the R520s & VNT15? Have you had it dyno'd?