2000 Beetle automatic transmission filter change

tompholden

TDI
2000 VW Beetle TDI
I just found the TDIClub article on How to change the ATF fluid & filter. I was unbeliveably well done with great pictures!!!!

Any DIY'er can do this!

Thank you all so much!!

I just purchased a used 2000 VW Beetle with 130,000 miles. I an in the process of changing the filter and am concerned. When I open the pan the filter was sitting on the bottom of the pan. The new filter has no mounting screws to the transmission boidy and only appears to be held in place by the friction of the gasket into the transmission body. Seems strange!!!

I also would like to know how to top of the system to the corrcet level during the refill process. I am told it is 3.2 Liter at 95 degrees. I have also heard to fill until it flows out the fill tube. Does any one have a detailed filter change instruction they can send me.

Love this site!!!

Tom Holden
Billings, Montana
tpholden@aearchitects.com

Last edited:

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Lots of trans filters are held on only by an o-ring (and probably the suction of the pump). If the old one was in place and you have the proper filter to refit with a fresh o-ring, I wouldn't worry at all.

I don't have any information about the proper procedure to refill the transmission. Sounds like you could use a Bently repair manual. Someone reading probably has one and will help.

Welcome to the club!

basskleff

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS
Yes, filter is press fit onto valve body.
You really need Vag-com to measure the fluid level, because it's all done through the ECU(computer) at the correct tempurature. See Bentley manual.
If you don't want to bother, I think 3.2 -3.3 liters is about the right amount.
Use Pentosin OEM Fluid from one of our vendors or buy from the dealership.
They don't tolerate anything else.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
basskleff said:
Use Pentosin OEM Fluid from one of our vendors or buy from the dealership.
They don't tolerate anything else.
Amsoil ATF has been used with the 01M auto trans by at least one board member with success, but go with the OEM (it's non-synthetic BTW) fluid to be safe.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
aja8888 said:
Amsoil ATF has been used with the 01M auto trans by at least one board member with success,

...and another reported failure within a few thousand miles after filling with that product, AJ ;)