Help with VCDS

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Brand new to this. Plug and play? Does not seem so!!
Just took it out of the bag, plugged it in and NOTHING! No instructions, not a single xx thing telling me how to get started.
Green light blinking but nothing on the laptop screen.

I need to check the timing. I put a new crank sensor in and now it has a very very hard time starting.

So what's the deal guys? What do I need to do first?

Thanks, Blue

Last edited:

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Download successful!
I'll hook up tomorrow and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

Thanks ugenetoo for the quick reply!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Download successful!
I'll hook up tomorrow and see what kind of trouble I can get into.

The first thing you will have to do (after installing the program) is to test the interface. To do this you must plug the cable into your computer and into the car. Turn on the ignition (engine does not need to be started) and start the program. It will tell you to choose "options" and then "test". After the program successfully finds and tests your interface, you then press the "save" button. This will save a config file and you will not have to test your interface again until you update to a newer version of the software. This only takes a few seconds, but it must be done whenever you update the software.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. If you are the kind of person who actually reads manuals, a complete manual for using the VCDS program can be found here: http://www.ross-tech.net/VCDS/download/manual/VCDS-Printable-Manual-2015.pdf

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I think for that price they provide "support".
You should contact them.
Clones come with no support at all so you are on your own but this is not the case.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Ross-Tech is very helpful and are available by both phone and email. When I first set mine up, IIRC, I called and asked for help and they helped right away and they verified my cable serial number.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most of us (I think) are self taught. Picking up little gems of information here and there.
They do sell a manual and like Nevada says, they're good with support.
There is some stuff over on the OBDII forum, check out MoGolf's sticky on measuring blocks.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Well I got it working and was able to check some blocks. I took a screenshot but for some reason I am unable to download the photo to my album.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Screen shots are O.K., but in the VCDS software you can save the results to a file.
There are complete instructions for posting pics in my signature. Basically you go to pics.tdiclub.com, log in again, click the Upload button, follow the steps, harvest a URL (link), paste the URL (thumbnails are nice) in your post.

bwk9087

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Jeep JKU 1.9 ALH
Screen shots are O.K., but in the VCDS software you can save the results to a file.
There are complete instructions for posting pics in my signature. Basically you go to pics.tdiclub.com, log in again, click the Upload button, follow the steps, harvest a URL (link), paste the URL (thumbnails are nice) in your post.
Only problem, photo uploads have not worked since April 26, the last person to do an upload is shown below. I have been trying, and checking for awhile.
Thu April 26, 2018 10:33
by Mike_04GolfTDI

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
I did save 2 different files, 1 was all the fault codes before I cleared them.

I was able to download photos in the past but apparently there is a problem now. Thanks bwk9087

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
OK, Don't know how I got this pic to download but here it is.
Is there anything that needs attention?

[/url][/IMG]

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Thanks BobnOH!
I did check out the link in post 7, I’lI have to go back and look it over again. Actually the hard starting was due to a “brand new” bad crank sensor which was another scenario of troubles, which have been sorta resolved without explanation as to how or why and if it will pop up again. LINK
Right now my focus is getting the timing, horse power and fuel efficiency to optimum or satisfactory levels. And I need to know how to reduce the EGR valve.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Found this at Ross-Teck. So does this mean I can't change the EGR valve? Specifies no can do on PD engines.
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Interesting; I replaced both crank and cam sensors recently from a trusted vendor on here. The cam sensor has been acting up with longer cranking times and a P3007 DTC. Wish I had kept the old cam sensor since there was nothing wrong with it. Both new sensors do not have any logo's on them which is very disappointing.