Vendor Accountability Thread

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Just saying...There are at least 2 sides to every story. We have heard one side, repeated every few months.

I find it "interesting" when the same customer has also previously claimed a different vendor "took" his/her parts.

Not all customer complaints are valid/reasonable or even factually stated.

Remember the story of the little Dutch boy?

Again, I am just saying...

This.

Life moves pretty fast, just picked up an old PM from Jason he'd returned months ago, about TB work. We were both swamped.

Accountability keeps a service based industry doors open. It's a domino effect into a person's business and life. Positive accountability, as Jason has, helps keep these cars rolling.

Timing is everything and hopefully this missing $3500 Whitbread has made off with, returns to the owner.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
You guys have no idea what it did to the small shops....when you go from 50 CR's a month to 3....you go back to the old cars for work or work you would have passed on. Class action suits should have covered the losses of the shops for the fraud committed.
Indeed. My business has nearly disappeared. Of course its not my full time gig but still.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
You guys have no idea what it did to the small shops....when you go from 50 CR's a month to 3....you go back to the old cars for work or work you would have passed on. Class action suits should have covered the losses of the shops for the fraud committed.

same here.. I use to see a few CR's a week, now it's around 1-2 a month at most

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Just saying...There are at least 2 sides to every story. We have heard one side, repeated every few months.

I find it "interesting" when the same customer has also previously claimed a different vendor "took" his/her parts.

I don't personally know either party, but 1 of them has CHOSEN to NOT represent himself here at all, or even make a comms effort to do right.

Dutch boy, no. I am familiar with the story of the last POS scumbag I came across which was ripping off a group of enthusiasts. Jus sayin...

Overall I think MOST vendors here have some decent integrity. :)

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Yup - the timing belts are a breeze on the CR's :p
Turbos on the other hand....:rolleyes:
Actually got pretty good at turbos and DPF work on the CR'S. Once you learn a few tricks it's pretty strait forward. Miss working on them all the time.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2

The story if the little Dutch never had an evidence like I do, I'm just going to give 1 more week to Mr Whitbread to either call me or find a way to settle this matter send my parts or i will display here his invoice and the check that i mailed to him, just before he moved to his new shop, where he promised he would finish the project within 2 weeks and he took me for a ride. So maybe members like you are not so skeptical and protect crooks like him.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
The story if the little Dutch never had an evidence like I do, I'm just going to give 1 more week to Mr Whitbread to either call me or find a way to settle this matter send my parts or i will display here his invoice and the check that i mailed to him, just before he moved to his new shop, where he promised he would finish the project within 2 weeks and he took me for a ride. So maybe members like you are not so skeptical and protect crooks like him.
I can tell you're upset about this situation, but posting documents on TDIClub is farting into the wind. Stop it with the hand-wringing posts about what you're going to do.

If you actually want to do something about it, get to Small Claims Court. A Judge will then decide who is owed what, based on the evidence presented.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Issam up at INA or vdamper or iAbed is a perfect vendor, communication couldn't be better, every email was returned usually within the hour and my satisfaction was at the top of his concern. My package made it to me in 2 days via FedEx...I can't say thank you enough to INA!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I bought a hot-swap injector kit from DBW which was highly recommended on this forum. I sent him my cores back which he acknowledged receiving with the following e-mail:
Received a set of cores from you this week. The wire on #3 injector was damaged, insulation was cracked and chipped in a couple of places. This will need to be replaced. The easiest place to find one is on eBay. When we receive a good #3 injector, we will refund your core deposit.
I found one on eBay in Europe and sent it to him via 3-day airmail from Europe (DHL #2601521834). He did approve the eBay listing and the picture clearly showed no cracking insulation. The DHL tracking shows it was received on July 19th.
Several txt messages and e-mails were not returned. Finally, he did reply to me on August 10th:
I haven’t seen them checked in, and I get back to the shop next week.
If they arrived, it will credited this billing cycle.
I'm not sure what this means. I paid for a #3 injector for him and DHL says it was delivered a month ago.
I filed a credit card dispute with him today. His rebuilt injectors have been top notch. The customer service has been lousy. In addition to paying $1059 for his service, I am now out $95 to send these additional items to him and he has essentially pocketed my money.

h.ubk

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
I finally did get credited back by DBW. I did want to add that here.

h.ubk

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
In DBW's defense he is still in the process of setting up a new shop they just moved into over the last few months. He is a commercial cargo pilot, too and gone 20+ days a month.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I did the hot swap and haven't had a problem...he even worked with me when I was late sending the cores back

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
IDparts (IndigoBlueWagon).
Ordered some head rebuild parts because I thought I'd get fancy with a friend's broken TB and I'd redo the head. Got to the car and realized it wasn't worth it - it'd be like a bandaid on a bayonet wound.

So, I contact them for RMA and get the number and put everything back in a USPS "Large" (if it fits, it ships) box. I see it arrives in the requisite time to IDparts, but then I only get a partial credit - like I was missing $100.

Email them - they said that I didn't return all of the stuff, so only partial credit - for the stuff I did return.

Didn't get mad (although I was somewhat miffed, because I KNOW that I put all of the parts in there), but asked them to check and see if there was damage to the box or anything.

Took a couple of days, but they did get back to me and said that in checking with the Returns dept., the box did have some damage...and then someone chimed in an mentioned that another box had come in with an assortment of parts, but no RMA (and missing my return address, I guess)...so they didn't know what return it belonged to.

So - in the end, they figured it all out, I got the full refund...and I will happily and confidently buy from IDparts in the future. Super-helpful - really willing to help you out and ensure you're a happy customer.

Thanks, guys!

BigB82789

TDI
jetta
Frank06

Since my previous thread was locked, I will post AGAIN here.

Frank, Its been a while since we talked. You don't call, you don't write, you don't even send me a post card. So i'll take to the web. In Oct. of 2016 (yes 2016!) i sent you my cylinder head and all accompanying hardware, followed my the rest of my engine a few weeks later. You were busy, you were swamped, yadda yadda. I was patient. I didn't pester you. About a year later I called and you gave me all of your excuses. Fine. I get it. Life happens. The final time i called you had been injured in some accident and you agreed to just call the build off since I had already purchased an engine out of a wreck since I kind of need the car. You agreed to total up what the parts of my old engine were worth and just pay me for the cores. And that was the last i heard from you. I understand things come up, but it takes 2 min out of your day to call me about the situation, and you never have.
So to any one looking to do business with this man, take caution, and learn from my experience.
Moderators, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I couldn't decide where was best, and this had the most traffic, so here it is.
Frank, if you decide you want to make this right and for whatever reason you don't have my number, you can pm me. If you do make things right, i will take this post down. If not, it stands as a testament to your integrity.

Edited 1/24/19 This issue has been resolved. Frank paid me what the remaining un worked parts were worth. Thank you Frank and thank you everyone else on the forums.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
since my previous thread was locked, i will post again here.
Frank, its been a while since we talked. You don't call, you don't write, you don't even send me a post card. So i'll take to the web. In oct. Of 2016 (yes 2016!) i sent you my cylinder head and all accompanying hardware, followed my the rest of my engine a few weeks later. You were busy, you were swamped, yadda yadda. I was patient. I didn't pester you. About a year later i called and you gave me all of your excuses. Fine. I get it. Life happens. The final time i called you had been injured in some accident and you agreed to just call the build off since i had already purchased an engine out of a wreck since i kind of need the car. You agreed to total up what the parts of my old engine were worth and just pay me for the cores. And that was the last i heard from you. I understand things come up, but it takes 2 min out of your day to call me about the situation, and you never have.
So to any one looking to do business with this man, take caution, and learn from my experience.
Moderators, i'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I couldn't decide where was best, and this had the most traffic, so here it is.
Frank, if you decide you want to make this right and for whatever reason you don't have my number, you can pm me. If you do make things right, i will take this post down. If not, it stands as a testament to your integrity.
Sincerely, bryan pollock in ohio.
. . . .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I hope you two can get this resolved quickly. Everyone I know here speaks very highly of Frank06, so I'm inclined to think he's a stand up guy. My guess is he discovered more damage to the engine than anticipated, and it may not have a core value for him. Hard to say what happened with the communications breakdown. When was the last time you tried calling him? I'd just keep trying. Many people get bombarded with emails and don't get around to reading them all.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
I will not detail personal issues, only will say this: Last year, I was unable to do much of my normal functions, limited to 10 lbs... not that I ever obeyed a doctor completely... I was only released from Doctor's care 10/18. I am trying to catch up on more than just you, BigB. I had not forgotten. It's just too much on the plate.

I actually was directed to the posts on TDIClub by Owain@Malonetuning, or may not have seen it. Thank you for informing me of this problem, Owain.

To state my case, We initiated a quote on 10/6/2016. The block and crank were received, but then the order changed. We requoted in 2/6/2017 and the last parts, pistons and rods we received from BigB was documented 7/17. That was 9 months after we initiated our project with Bryan. I think we have a timeline that varies, but I realize, there is more to the story.

So, I have a block that is bored and honed, that came to us with a Van Gogh ear installed. I would not have built the block except it was for this customer. I have the crank ground undersize, the cylinder head was worked up to the point of porting.

Pistons and rods that were sent later, were prepared and then, he cancels the order. I don't recall the time element before he got us the pistons to when he opted for a junkyard engine. Agreed, this has been a long time in the making. As for when we received the piston/ rods, if you recall, Bryan, it was 9 months from the time we got the block. We got the impression you weren't in a hurry. So, I was frustrated with what occurred. That is not a good reason to delay. I apologize.

I built a block with a Van Gogh Ear repair. I've thrown away engine blocks in the same condition, as it is not that easy to sell 'broken' parts. The block I figure is worth what I have into it. Someone want a Van Gogh'd Block for $300? It is torque plate honed for .5mm O.S. pistons. We have the pistons fit to the block.

The crank is also worth what I have into it. We ground the crank undersize. .25mm, Mains and Rods. The pistons are a question mark, as are the rods. If nothing is beat up or bent I will call it $200. The oil pan, we usually figure $30 The head, we value at $150.

So, with no further ado, I figure a check for $380.

You may call me or email. Again, I did not do you right by this delay. I generally am not that person to take advantage of people's time or product.

I have several others who have been delayed due to my circumstances. To all of you, I am back in action and regularly turn new business away in order to concentrate on the projects which have been delayed.

I appreciate how the TDIClub has put me on the map. I expect to get things done, as best I can, as quickly as I can, but still maintain a quality product.

Bryan, email or call. We will take care of this today.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Since my previous thread was locked, I will post AGAIN here.
Frank, Its been a while since we talked. You don't call, you don't write, you don't even send me a post card. So i'll take to the web. In Oct. of 2016 (yes 2016!) i sent you my cylinder head and all accompanying hardware, followed my the rest of my engine a few weeks later. You were busy, you were swamped, yadda yadda. I was patient. I didn't pester you. About a year later I called and you gave me all of your excuses. Fine. I get it. Life happens. The final time i called you had been injured in some accident and you agreed to just call the build off since I had already purchased an engine out of a wreck since I kind of need the car. You agreed to total up what the parts of my old engine were worth and just pay me for the cores. And that was the last i heard from you. I understand things come up, but it takes 2 min out of your day to call me about the situation, and you never have.
Moderators, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. I couldn't decide where was best, and this had the most traffic, so here it is.
Sincerely, Bryan Pollock in Ohio.
X2 Bryan. My story is like yours. I threw a rod on my 2002 (my fault I pushed it really hard. (RC4.5 28 psi sustained boost) So Nick aka Greengeeker found a low mileage short block and I sent the head to Frank for repair. Nick got the car on the road and I felt ok about the $2000+ I had put into the car. Turned a little cooler the car struggled to start cold. Back to Nick and he found that it had leaking valves. Head back to Frank, head back from Frank. Nick got the car on the road. 12,000 miles later a valve has disintegrated and destroyed the block and the head. Additional data the injectors are Bosch 230' from Frank. I had both boost and EGT controls. I am an engineer. So Frank's position is that I cooked the engine and I am on my own. So Nick had a 2003 wagon that I bought for another $2000.
So if you think Frank is going to do the right thing I wish you the best of luck as I have had none and Frank is getting no more of my business.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
That is an acerbic way to work with me, Chris. As recently as 1/5/2019, I contacted you to work out this difference and you prefer to bash.

Your cylinder head showed FOD (foreign object damage) after 12,000 miles. If you are the engineer you claim, explain to me how I caused the strange piece of metal to suddenly fall out of the head after that time and distance?

Later today, I will detail, with pictures, exactly what occurred.

BigB82789

TDI
jetta
Thank you Frank for replying. I just sent you an email like you asked. I look forward to resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
A bit of an interesting couple of days past, but here goes.
The pictures for Curious Chris' 12,000 mile head with FOD (foreign object damage). You have already seen most of these Chris. I know you are putting this on me, but the cylinder head tells the story.

This picture shows a dent in the center of the initial damage. The intake valve was sheared off in a single piece, which then shattered into several smaller pieces. The deep dent could not be caused by the valve material itself and it also had a cylindrical shape. The subsequent damage of pieces of valve seat striking the cylinder head and valve show much less denting as the FOD. There are many other impacts that you can judge are the FOD making it's dents before exiting. No object was noted or found upon disassembly.

The shape and size of the FOD are clearly visible, as shown in the following pics.

These two pictures show the depth of the impact and the distance of a single piece broken off of the valve's seat area.

This last picture shows the FOD damage on the intake valve near the 2:30 position. The impact crossed both the valve and the bottom of the cylinder head. I don't know what the foreign object is, but I believe it is not any VW part or piece.

So, Chris, to finish this story, I was told I 'made a bad cylinder head' and you wanted something of value in exchange for it; a turbo as I remember. In warranty disputes, I always have done the same thing. I send a pre-paid UPS shipping label and examine the part. I don't recall the exact date I sent the label, but it was months before the cylinder head was returned. I admit, same as with Bryan, I have been swamped, but when you prompted me, I got the cylinder heads, the original one, that had valve leakage, and this one, which was destroyed, and did my analysis.

I did find the original head had a valve that was spinning out of round. I vacuum test heads, so I don't know If I missed it or not. I will not debate that, but then Nick showed up over a year ago, about 2 weeks after my wreck and picked up this replacement head. I am guessing it was about the third week of October, 2017. Then, I believe it was about 7/2018, I got the report the cylinder head destroyed itself and you wanted compensation. I made the label and then started waiting for stuff to show up. The cylinder head showed up in November, 2018.

If I had not seen the cylinder head, which you seemingly thought was not needed to be sent, I would not have found the FOD damage. All claims for warranty must follow protocol. I have the right to inspect the damaged item before determining validity of the claim. In this case, I find abuse by foreign object.

But I am sure you still want to lay the blame on me.

In all of the cylinder heads I have made, and people know, it's thousands, I have few failures. Admittedly, there have been some. Overall, people also know we back our product, but do not cover abuse.

Sorry, Chris. I would have liked to work with you, but I will not accept your claim. I am not, nor have I ever blamed (Nick, Greengeeker) for the cause of this damage. I have no way of knowing how the damage occurred,
It is not reasonable, as you claim, that a foreign body stuck in the head from the time I built it, only to fall out after at least 6 months and 12,000 miles.

Last edited: