Dang.. water pump failure

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
My coolant warning light came on this morning. The reservoir was almost empty, and I could see coolant splashed around the front of the motor and puddles on the under shield.

Took it to VW dealer this morning. They called me and told me that the water pump need to be replaced. $1250 job.

But, he said that they have to remove the timing belt to get to the water pump. And since I have 108k on the motor, it is almost due for a new timing belt. So I should replace it at the same time. Doing that will bump the cost to $1450.

I decided to go ahead and do the belt and the pump. I plan to turn in my TDi. But not until after we complete our house purchase early 2017. I don't need a car payment right now, nor any dings on my credit history for inquiries.

I'm also hoping that VW will have the bugs worked out of their turn-in process by the summer of 2017. I don't feel like being their guinea pig for training.

Well. I hope nothing else fails between now and then. If I didn't have this house purchase looming over my head, I would just have ignored it and turned it in.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
A water pump is part of the timing belt change. The pump should be changed each time the belt is. Though I understand some dealers change just the belt. Which in my opinion borders on malpractice. Everything the belt touches that moves rollers, pump ,tensioner etc should all be included in a belt change.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I've heard of a few water pumps failing before the 130,000 mile timing belt interval. Volkswagen seems to have a problem with water pump longevity in general.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
I have 86K miles on my 12 Passat, it has a water pump leak. I also have no heat in the car, I am wondering if the deposits that block the heater core are chewing up the pump seals. Car has been sitting since March waiting for the buyback. I am certainly not paying that kind of money to get it fixed. Praying I can make the 65 mile drive to dealership, if VW Roadside assistance won't tow it in.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Brilliant, extend the life of the timing belt and forget to improve the water pump so that it lasts as long....

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Do most of these NMS Passat TDI's go 130K between timing belt/water pump jobs or do majority have water pump failure before 130K is reached? I'm assuming water pump failures are not that common as there don't seem to be many threads about it here unlike the NMS heater core issue as an example.

Is there a more robust aftermarket water pump out there for the 2.0 TDI? (I recall ALH water pumps originally had plastic impellers and later ones went to metal including VW OEM ones IIRC.)

I'm thinking if water pump usually fails before 130K then it may be better to do timing belt every 100K like on the ALH TDI's so it is "routine maintenance" as opposed to 'do another timing belt because water pump went' $$ repair. Just thinking out loud here as I still have many miles to go before a timing belt is needed on my Passat...

VeeDubTDI

TDI
At this point, it's hard to tell. I'd say replace the water pump when you do a timing belt, and if the pump fails or leaks prematurely, go ahead and do the timing belt at the same time. I won't worry about changing things early if there is no problem.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Do most of these NMS Passat TDI's go 130K between timing belt/water pump jobs or do majority have water pump failure before 130K is reached? I'm assuming water pump failures are not that common as there don't seem to be many threads about it here unlike the NMS heater core issue as an example.
Is there a more robust aftermarket water pump out there for the 2.0 TDI? (I recall ALH water pumps originally had plastic impellers and later ones went to metal including VW OEM ones IIRC.)
I'm thinking if water pump usually fails before 130K then it may be better to do timing belt every 100K like on the ALH TDI's so it is "routine maintenance" as opposed to 'do another timing belt because water pump went' $$ repair. Just thinking out loud here as I still have many miles to go before a timing belt is needed on my Passat...
Im gearing up to change my timing belt soon. I'm at 122,000. Had failed heater core but no leaks anywhere else yet

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
That's really expensive to change the water pump and timing belt. Find an independent shop and get it done for half the price.

dpospres

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Blue Graphite 6 speed manual (sold), 2012 Passat TDI SE Sunroof NAV, Night Blue Moonrock (bought back 12/13),2017 Audi A3 Quattro Prestige
Water pump failed on my 2012 Passat at 59,800 miles. Replaced under warranty and dealer replaced timing belt as well under warranty since it got antifreeze on it. Lucked out by 200 miles.

hybridp

TDI
None
I've got a coolant leak and I can't for the life of me narrow it down to a hose. It seems to be dripping right from the biggest pulley. I imagine that's the main drive pulley? Where is the water pump and pulley in relation? I have 82k miles...the coolant will leak out in about 1-2 days and the temp gauge will start creeping. Sign of an impeding water pulley failure?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've got a coolant leak and I can't for the life of me narrow it down to a hose. It seems to be dripping right from the biggest pulley. I imagine that's the main drive pulley? Where is the water pump and pulley in relation? I have 82k miles...the coolant will leak out in about 1-2 days and the temp gauge will start creeping. Sign of an impeding water pulley failure?
I would say that you're most likely due for a water pump and timing belt job.

carlrx7

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
47k, Coolant low light came on Saturday, topped off with distilled water thinking it was just "the cold". I drove about 40 miles since and the coolant low light came on again. I filled it up quickly as I was heading to work. On my first break I popped the hood and could smell the coolant, I looked further down and noticed the pulleys and belt are dripping in coolant and the tank is down about an inch already (10 miles to work). VW roadside assistance is on the way to pick up the car. Hoping it is all covered under warranty, assuming water pump.

My heater core is also clogged (not part of the extended warranty), I wonder if one could have caused the other?

Where is that buyback check?

UPDATE** Car is back from dealership with a new water pump and timing belt, all covered under 60k powertrain.

-Carl

Last edited:

Deepwater6

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium
My coolant warning light came on this morning. The reservoir was almost empty, and I could see coolant splashed around the front of the motor and puddles on the under shield.

Took it to VW dealer this morning. They called me and told me that the water pump need to be replaced. $1250 job.

But, he said that they have to remove the timing belt to get to the water pump. And since I have 108k on the motor, it is almost due for a new timing belt. So I should replace it at the same time. Doing that will bump the cost to $1450.

I decided to go ahead and do the belt and the pump. I plan to turn in my TDi. But not until after we complete our house purchase early 2017. I don't need a car payment right now, nor any dings on my credit history for inquiries.

I'm also hoping that VW will have the bugs worked out of their turn-in process by the summer of 2017. I don't feel like being their guinea pig for training.

Well. I hope nothing else fails between now and then. If I didn't have this house purchase looming over my head, I would just have ignored it and turned it in.
My 2012 Passat TDI SEL also has a water pump leak with only 51k on the odometer. The sad point in was covered on the 5 yr. 60k warranty but I missed it by one month. This issue is one of many that have cost me big since the 3/36k warranty expired and have come to one conclusion. Sell your VW BEFORE the warranty expires. I have also decided to sell my well maintained Passat back to VW so I may purchase another vehicle brand that is more dependable. I advised VW that I will never buy another vehicle from them since they will not provide assistance with the water pump. Pry to owning the VW I owned a Toyota Camry V6 XLE with zero (0) problems and 81K when I said good bye. I admit it......I F'ed up buy a VW, shame on me and was sold on Clean Diesel with great MPG. The most expensive cost per mile ever. VW Sucks!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
VW dealers don't routinely replace the water pump and idlers when they do a timing belt.
Why do that when they can do each separately for more $$.
The main reason to sell a Dub is the revenue stream from the sale in the shop.
Vw counts in the revenue stream from parts sales as well.

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
VW dealers don't routinely replace the water pump and idlers when they do a timing belt.
Why do that when they can do each separately for more $$.
The main reason to sell a Dub is the revenue stream from the sale in the shop.
Vw counts in the revenue stream from parts sales as well.
You must have some shady dealers down there ;).

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
My 2012 Passat TDI SEL also has a water pump leak with only 51k on the odometer. The sad point in was covered on the 5 yr. 60k warranty but I missed it by one month. This issue is one of many that have cost me big since the 3/36k warranty expired and have come to one conclusion. Sell your VW BEFORE the warranty expires. I have also decided to sell my well maintained Passat back to VW so I may purchase another vehicle brand that is more dependable. I advised VW that I will never buy another vehicle from them since they will not provide assistance with the water pump. Pry to owning the VW I owned a Toyota Camry V6 XLE with zero (0) problems and 81K when I said good bye. I admit it......I F'ed up buy a VW, shame on me and was sold on Clean Diesel with great MPG. The most expensive cost per mile ever. VW Sucks!
You must have done no research before buying whatsoever. If you want a car that you never have to open the hood, you may want to avoid German. Or, anything turbocharged. Sorry you had a bad experience. The following was edited for the weak and frail readers among us. Here's a helpful link that may help you on your quest: Google Search Tailored just for you.

Happy new year. Peace and love. Cheap repair bills, and spiritless driving awaits you.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Lol, had to double check the URL to make sure I wasnt on vortex, but I do agree with both- driven vw's since I got my license and the NMS is a eye opener for sure- Granted I expected to work on it a lot as during the test drive I joked about how long the stock exhaust system would stay on it. Sure my old 1.6D had its gremlins as well as the ALH EGR issues but nothing compared to the nms.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Comments like this give the forum a bad name. You can wish someone well without that.
You're probably right. On the other hand, I had just had about enough of him spewing his hatred, as this was about the 5 or 6th post I'd seen from him on the subject. Seems it's more about a smear than about doing what's right for himself.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
You must have done no research before buying whatsoever. If you want a car that you never have to open the hood, you may want to avoid German. Or, anything turbocharged. Sorry you had a bad experience. The following was edited for the weak and frail readers among us. Here's a helpful link that may help you on your quest: Google Search Tailored just for you.

Happy new year. Peace and love. Cheap repair bills, and spiritless driving awaits you.
So...you think this edit is any less offensive???

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes VW is not for the weak. It's great for those that enjoy working on their car.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A water pump is part of the timing belt change. The pump should be changed each time the belt is. Though I understand some dealers change just the belt. Which in my opinion borders on malpractice. Everything the belt touches that moves rollers, pump ,tensioner etc should all be included in a belt change.

Not according to my local dealer, they do TB jobs for about $700 and keep their customers happy.

Only until they realize the job was half done ;)

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
Sucks to hear about dealers like that. Any estimate that comes across my desk gets filled out to my best ability. Some even say I over quote on the small items but in the end it is the small items that can keep the job from being finished on time.

Where has customer service gone these days??

kyledooley

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Lost my first at 74k. Blew the second one today, in spectacular fashion, at 140k. Effing buyback appointment is in 3 weeks.

But the good news is I did the last one (and the timing belt). Probably get it done in 2 hours or so. Already have a pump on the way. $70 on Amazon and next day shipping for $10.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Not according to my local dealer, they do TB jobs for about $700 and keep their customers happy.
Only until they realize the job was half done ;)
And, if they spelled it out for the owner and they declined, then that's on the owner, not the repair shop. We had to get a bunch of hoses replaced on our '04 SAAB, because one was leaking but they were all just....old. When I told them go to ahead with the job, he service writer (an indy shop) said "OK, looks like you've got the original thermostat in there, it'll be $18 for the part, no more labor to do it while we're doing the hoses, because the labor to do that part is the same." It's a no-brainer, something anyone with a grain of sense would do, but there are probably shops that wouldn't bother to say "Hey, you really need to put in a new water pump and these other parts when you're doing that timing belt."