trailer hitch install -2015 Golf Hatchback?

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Who's installed a trailer hitch on a 2015 Golf TDI?
Doing some preliminary research, it looks like you can get hitches for non -R models, and R models...
I ASSume that the TDI would just use the non-R model, they don't differentiate between gas and diesel.
Any drilling required?
How was the wiring hookup?
I have a lot of tools, so I am thinking about doing it myself...
Amazon has this Curt 11412 hitch, but it doesn't say compatible with TDI on Amazon's checker...
https://www.amazon.ca/CURT-11412-Cl...------------&vehicleName=2015+Volkswagen+Golf

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
Amazon was the best price by far, 3 Things I had done,1 put a plate at the back of the receiver so water doesnt get in. Get a 1/2" grommet and cut it in two, then glue each half over the pin hole to keep moisture out of that area.and underneath, drill a 3/8" hole near where the end of the drawbar will reach into the receiver. You then weld a 3/8" nut over the hole. Then get a stainless bolt for it. (wont rust). when you install the drawbar, you can tighten the bolt up into the base of the drawbar. it stops that clunking noise.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks all,

I've decided to get the Curt Hitch from Amazon... for me in Canada, can't beat the price.. looks to be a simple install...

next onto research for the wiring ... what did you guys use?

Likely use will be for a 4x6 utility trailer to take stuff to the dump or bring project supplies home from the lumberyard.

pdh

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2014 BMW 328d, X Drive
I inquired at a hitch installing garage & they refused to install one because of the trailer weight limit on my 2015 Golf TGI S (liability concerns).
I own a pontoon boat and need a hitch to move the boat 3 blocks. The hitch company told me that the potential tongue weight could lift the front wheels off the ground as well as affect braking. I realize others are towing, but I decided to be prudent and just forget the hitch idea altogether.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I inquired at a hitch installing garage & they refused to install one because of the trailer weight limit on my 2015 Golf TGI S (liability concerns).
I own a pontoon boat and need a hitch to move the boat 3 blocks. The hitch company told me that the potential tongue weight could lift the front wheels off the ground as well as affect braking. I realize others are towing, but I decided to be prudent and just forget the hitch idea altogether.
Is the tongue weight more than 200 lbs? That is what the hitch and car will handle. Especially at those short distances. If it is more is there anything you can do to move the boat back some to reduce the tongue weight?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

OMG, how could they forget to mention you're car will also over heat and launch the 1600F turbo into your face soon as you install any hitch, let alone the fact the DSG will immediately spin both clutches and grind all 6 gears to a fine metallic paste.

People install hitch for bike racks that probably place way more than 200lb of stress to the hitch mounting points.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
liability of a bike rack?

Didn't know Thule, 1up and Kuat were murderous evil corporations hell bent on harming people and turning cars into death traps.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
liability of a bike rack?

Didn't know Thule, 1up and Kuat were murderous evil corporations hell bent on harming people and turning cars into death traps.
It’s clear you don’t understand how liability works.

It’s completely understandable why an installer wouldn’t want to install a hitch for boat towing on a small car that’s not rated for it in the USA. Even though the drivetrain is more than capable.

But by all means, continue to be an ass.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone getting clunking with their curt hitch receiver.... I wonder if it's the muffler bouncing against the exhaust when going over bumps? I only notice it the 1st few minutes of the drive.

or maybe its the loose heat shield....

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
anyone getting clunking with their curt hitch receiver.... I wonder if it's the muffler bouncing against the exhaust when going over bumps? I only notice it the 1st few minutes of the drive.

I had the same issue on another car none VW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s clear you don’t understand how liability works.
It’s completely understandable why an installer wouldn’t want to install a hitch for boat towing on a small car that’s not rated for it in the USA. Even though the drivetrain is more than capable.
But by all means, continue to be an ass.

https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/going-up-country-in-the-golf-alltrack-country-concept/

omg look at all those liabilities VW is promoting ;)

*See vehicle owner’s manual for details and limitations. Consult aftermarket manufacturer for accessory installation instructions and further information.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If part of moving that pontoon boat 3 blocks involves a boat launch, I wouldn't recommend it. Ask a friend/relative/neighbor with a more suitable vehicle to help.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
https://newsroom.vw.com/vehicles/going-up-country-in-the-golf-alltrack-country-concept/

omg look at all those liabilities VW is promoting ;)

*See vehicle owner’s manual for details and limitations. Consult aftermarket manufacturer for accessory installation instructions and further information.
That's a concept.

And you're still being dense around my entire point that an installer has every right to refuse a hitch on a car not rated for towing. Especially since we were talking about towing a boat, not a bike rack. IF an accident ever happened, lawyers could name the installer in a suit and insurance is likely to deny the claim.

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Tow ratings are based largely on emissions.... They can't certify the vehicle for towing if it will exceed the emissions requirements during towing.

Tork Lift Centra have nice hitches.
https://torkliftcentral.com/trailer...volkswagen/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-ecohitch
I got the ecohitch (2" version) for my '15 GSW. The hitch is extremely beefy. I only wish that the TorkLift design had steel square tubes extending into the Sportwagen frme tubes with bolts accessible in the wheel wells. At least on one side. The bolts that utilize threads in the car body's back steel panel are weak, and the additional bolts are not much either. AND that back steel panel is not nearly as good as the frame tubes in the chassis. But GROUND CLEARANCE is unbeatable if you choose the TorkLift, and the cross tube is hidden.

I installed a Curt 11072 on my 2010 JSW. It had a brace that utilized the right side frame tube. THERE IS MUCH more strength in that mounting strategy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284419&highlight=fish+wire

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I got the ecohitch (2" version) for my '15 GSW. The hitch is extremely beefy. I only wish that the TorkLift design had steel square tubes extending into the Sportwagen frme tubes with bolts accessible in the wheel wells. At least on one side. The bolts that utilize threads in the back steel panel are weak, and the additional bolts are not much either. AND that back steel panel is not nearly as good as the frame tubes in the chassis. But GROUND CLEARANCE is unbeatable if you choose the TorkLift, and the cross tube is hidden.

I installed a Curt 11072 on my 2010 JSW. It had a brace that utilized the right side frame tube. THERE IS MUCH more strength in that mounting strategy:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=284419&highlight=fish+wire
Thought's on Draw-Tite's method then?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Volkswagen/Golf/2015/24925.html?vehicleID=201531032

Comparing the installation instructions, it uses the bumper mount, frame rails, and is all one unit. Plus you only need to remove the lower valance to install, versus the entire bumper.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I don't remember all the details of installing this Curt model on my GSW, but I do remember thinking, "This is SOOOOO much better than what was on my Mk4 Golf", which bolted through the sheet metal on the driver side.

IIRC, this model replaces the bolts which hold the bumper on with slightly longer bolts, so if the hitch comes off, it's bringing the bumper itself with it.

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle

I had a bit of clunking when going over bumps. I took some thin nylon ~1/16" and secured it to the receiver, I had to test fit it a few times but once I got it snug, I tightened it all up and it has been great for a few years and counting.

Clunking could also mean that the hitch could be loose on the car. You should check it to make sure it is secure. I used loctite on the bolts to help keep them tight.

tdi_hatch

TDI
2015 Golf TDI

I was getting some pretty nasty clunking. It was the muffler knocking on the receiver.

I loosened up the hangers and adjusted the muffler to give more clearance. The holes are slotted, so there's some room to move it where you want.

I installed mine to tow a '95 seadoo xp - Pretty light ski, but it towed no problem.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
thx guys,

noise is still there... I think it may be the exhaust shield... I'll stick it up on the lift in a couple weeks and try to get it resolved, busy until then...

I don't notice it much after I get over 20mph.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
clunk and noise finally gone...

-removed loose heat shield... Mine came to me without the fasteners, and all the holes that it would have needed are messed up (reamed out by being loose)

- buzz is gone.

Also loosened the hitch and the muffler mounts... Moved the hitch to the right as far as it could go (less than 1/8") Moved the exhaust mounts as far as they could go to the left (about 1/8")

- no more clunking or rattles when driving...

phew.

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Anyone towing a small trailer with a ATV/Dirt bike? Photos? Looking for guys who are doing 100miles plus on trips with a loaded setup.

Seems like the hitch/ball on these are rather on the small side and not something you would typically see on a small utility trailer. 6'x8' with an emtpy weight of 725lbs, looks like the ecohitch would do the job....