MPG before and after emission fix

Bugsy57

TDI
Jetta
I had a 2013 tdi jetta but it was rear ended last week and it looks like its a total loss, I would love to fix it and roll on, but I don't have the time. my question to all of you is I'm looking at a 2015 Golf tdi or a 2015 Passat tdi and I was wondering what the mpg would be between the two, I know the Golf is a smaller car that the Passat, but just wondering if confort in the Passat would be worth the lesser mpg. I have drove both cars and the Passat is way more comfortable, than the Golf, but the golf is a few thousand dollars cheaper, I drive about 1 hour to work one way every day. I was averaging about 38 to 42 with my 2013 jetta tdi before the emission fix and 35 to 38 after the emission fix, so if the 2015 Passat is close to 35 to 38 mpg then I will go with the Passat, I love the room the Passat has but its just a work car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Scotty

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I drive about 1 hour to work one way every day. I was averaging about 38 to 42 with my 2013 Jetta TDI before the emission fix and 35 to 38 after the emission fix, so if the 2015 Passat is close to 35 to 38 mpg then I will go with the Passat, I love the room the Passat has but its just a work car. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Scotty
Scotty........if I had to drive 1 hour to work every day so 2 hours in my car just to go to and from work I would not care about 1 or 2 MPG it would be all about comfort. How much would you save over a years time? Here in the upper midwest right now I'm not fretting about what my fuel bill will be to keep my house warm I just want to be warm and comfortable. If I were you get the Passat. that being said I have a Passat and yes it is a more comfortable drive than my previous 2010 JSW

Last edited:

Bugsy57

TDI
Jetta
Thank you MichaelB I understand what your saying and I'll leaning to the Passat but its all about saving money as well after all isn't that why we drive the tdi's. Just saying thanks for your input, what kind of mpg do you get out of your Passat.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Thank you Michael I understand what you're saying and I'll leaning to the Passat but its all about saving money as well after all isn't that why we drive the tdi's. Just saying thanks for your input, what kind of mpg do you get out of your Passat.
Well,
You are in Texas I'm in frozen Wisconsin so here is what I normally achieve a year-round average of 38 MPG Winter Spring Summer and Fall. Diesel with winter fuel and winter tires do not fare as well as a diesel car in TX with straight D2 and all season tires........so take it from there. Also, these numbers are all from before the dieselgate emissions fix. It will take another year to determine those numbers. As I previously said how much will you really save in FE over comfort in a years time 20 bucks maybe, less than a case of good beer, it's up to you. Pinch your pennies till Lincoln cries or be comfortable. Either car will serve you well. Or you could buy a Prius and have no driving pleasure or comfort but save even more money on fuel.

Last edited:

Bugsy57

TDI
Jetta
Yes the Passat i have drove so far I liked the room and the car but I did not get to drive it for a weekend or a long time I'm sure I will go with the Passat because of the size and comfort but I was just woundering what the mpg would be between the two cars. Thanks for your input.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I'm sure I will go with the Passat because of the size and comfort but I was just wondering what the mpg would be between the two cars. Thanks for your input.
Well, I hope I helped. Many others will expound on how the Golf may be less comfortable but snappier to drive. It all depends on what you want. I was not all that happy with the drivability of my Passat after owning 2 JSW's so I upgraded the dampers with Koni FSD's but that cost money so ... you can save a couple of k in the initial cost and a slightly better margin in FE. But I'll take the room and comfort over both of those options. That's just me. Later on let us here know what you chose and what you think after driving either car for a while OK.. have a Happy New Year and drive on.

dodgeit

TDI
Jetta
I'm on my fourth tank since software update on my 2015 Jetta. First take was 39.4 second and third tanks were 40.49 and 40.53 respectively. So I'm down 6 to 8 mpg depending on where I fill up.

That is hand calculated by the way.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Bugsy57 - Don't know if you're still looking for a TDI but I get an average of 49.5 mpg in my Passat TDI SEL with DSG transmission. It has not been thru the Dieselgate fix yet. I do know the Passat gets good as or even better fuel economy than the 2012-2014 Jetta TDI does on the highway. Far as comfort goes, yes - the bigger Passat wins here IMO. Hope this helps you out!

Demon_Beetle

TDI
98 NB TDI,04 Golf TDI,15 Golf TDI
I had a '13 Jetta also which I gave up to the cash. I was getting about 38mpg average. I just bought a 15 Golf yesterday from the dealer. It has had it's lobotomy and I haven't checked it via the pump yet but so far (180 miles) the computer is saying that I am getting 46.6 mpg combined. Now with the 2015, vs the 2013 that we had, its a different engine. Some newer ones didn't require an update. Take a 24hr test drive and drive the wheels off, then make a decision.