Catalytic Converter Problem ?? for 2011 VW GOLF TDI

Franklosa

TDI
2011 VW Golf TDI
I took my 2011 VW Golf TDi to the dealer today because of the warning light that indicates a malfunction/problem with the catalytic converter.

The car has a little less than 5k miles...

Does anybody know of problems with catalytic converters associated with new TDi's?

I am supposed to receive the diagnosis tomorrow and will update post with new information.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Are you getting the engine symbol lighting or the symbol that looks like a muffler?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
back when the early 2010's came out they tossed a MIL for ERG issues, it was linked to bad gasket, plus bad software, dealer took care of them. Not sure if this issues coming up but there's probably 1000 different reasons why you're seeing that MIL and no one will know until codes are pulled.

Have you noticed and driving/characteristic changes? how do you drive the car? lots of short trips or nice long highway burns?

2011 Golf TDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDi
Warning light came on today. Engine symbol light rather than the light that looks like a muffler. Took it to the dealership and I am awaiting word on whether it will be fixed today. Took delivery of the car at the end of June and currently have about 1,900 miles on it.

Got Haggis?

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf DSG
I have 5000 miles on my car and this light just came on (looks like an engine i guess...the manual claims its the 'catalytic converter' light. Hope it's nothing major, not real happy about problems so soon

the only strange thing I noticed was last week as soon as I got out of my car, I walked into a very hot air mass that was coming from my car...like..extremely hot...and then the car fan kicked in...it wasn't super hot outside, around 75 but it was very humid....temp reading on the dash seemed fine.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I can't comment on the light -

but if you do some searches for DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) on this forum and read info here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/DPF-Adblue-FAQ-VW-Audi.htm
(The light on in the pic is the DPF needs a regeneration light - or needs more attention and needs to be seen by dealer - as it will be warranty work at this point)

it might give you some more info on how the DPF regen process works and why the fans turned on - which is why your fans started running. You either shut off during a regen or just after a regen and to keep under hood temps in check and not melt the plastic (gets really hot when that DPF is going through regen) fans kick on full speed or thereabouts to push the hot air out.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
To clear things up you have three lights that can come up for failures

1) check engine light (looks like block with a lightning bolt)
2) glow plug light (coil and it flashes)
3) DPF light

A check engine light is a more general light, it could mean you have issues with any part of the system mechanical, electrical, or computer related

A glow plug light error usually comes up with an check engine light, this is related to fuel, or glow plug issues.

A DPF light comes on with anything emissions related for DPF, or pressure related.

Some common issues I have seen and had customers with on DPFs:

1) clogged DPF pipes (VW has had four revisions of these downpipes since they first came out)

2) Bad sensors or bad gaskets

3) Intercooler pipes poping out plugging DPF

4) Turbo chargers going due to plugged or caked DPF units

5) flapper valves clogging and not operating properly so when car regenerates the particulate into ash you get a less eff. burn

The OP has an unknown issue period, I do not know if it is DPF related. Lets see what the codes/ dealer says

Got Haggis- I think your car was going through a regen cycle which goes into more detail on myturbodiesel.

11 golf- Lets wait and see what the codes where, did you have any other strange feelings or problems? Could be a loose plug, bolt, nut, or connection....

Last edited: