Amsoil Diesel Concentrate Plus Cold Flow Improver

DAV0320

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Curious as to who is using it. I see there are lots of Power Service and Opti-lube users, but see few Amsoil users. Is it because Amsoil cannot be found on store shelves?
Based on the results from the Spicer report, the Amsoil has a lower wear scar than the PS (488 compared to 575 respectively), yet the PS has a huge following.
Not looking to start a debate like all Amsoil threads seem to create, I'm just curious. :D

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The product works very well; I believe it is blended to their specifications by Stanadyne....

Their stand alone, "diesel fuel additive concentrate", gives you more bang for the buck in mild weather; a 16 ounce bottle treats twice as much fuel (80 gallons vs 40 gallons) and it's priced lower. The Amsoil Cetane boost is also a stand alone product for cold weather, or for modified diesel engines that need higher cetane fuel....If you cram all three functions into one bottle of additive, the levels of each chemical compound will be that much lower.

TS

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
The product works very well; I believe it is blended to their specifications by Stanadyne....

Their stand alone, "diesel fuel additive concentrate", gives you more bang for the buck in mild weather; a 16 ounce bottle treats twice as much fuel (80 gallons vs 40 gallons) and it's priced lower. The Amsoil Cetane boost is also a stand alone product for cold weather, or for modified diesel engines that need higher cetane fuel....If you cram all three functions into one bottle of additive, the levels of each chemical compound will be that much lower.

TS
Hmm.... so it's better to use the 3 individual products.

Interesting that Stanadyne makes it.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
I recently made a mix with the following ingredients: Power Service (gray bottle), Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. Approximately 1/3 of each in a 16 oz. bottle.

We'll how it goes when I put it at the next fill up.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I saw that report, and the very best, by a big margin for lubricity was B2. If I was to use the Amsoil, I would use their product that does Cetane boost. My best guess about lubricity is that most pumps these days state that they contain up to 5% Bio-diesel, so I would just use additives that increase Cetane and as required, anti-gel and anti-algae.

I do use the PS with Cetane boost...................

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
It's touted on the label as being effective on biodiesel. The support level in the pyramid....sorry, the sale representative, also verbally said the same. So I bit, and bought one bottle specifically to check it's biodiesel cold flow improving properties.
I found that it is useless on biodiesel. I checked the Amsoil website and I discovered that their definition of biodiesel only goes to 20%.
It is a diesel additive that is ineffective on biodiesel, just like all the other "biodiesel cold flow improvers". Because it doesn't work on biodiesel, and petrodiesel I get is adequately blended for cold flow properties, I have no use for it.
Nor for other fuel treatments either.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's touted on the label as being effective on biodiesel. The support level in the pyramid....sorry, the sale representative, also verbally said the same. So I bit, and bought one bottle specifically to check it's biodiesel cold flow improving properties.
I found that it is useless on biodiesel. I checked the Amsoil website and I discovered that their definition of biodiesel only goes to 20%.
It is a diesel additive that is ineffective on biodiesel, just like all the other "biodiesel cold flow improvers". Because it doesn't work on biodiesel, and petrodiesel I get is adequately blended for cold flow properties, I have no use for it.
Nor for other fuel treatments either.
Yup this is normal amongst the major fuel additives.

http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/

http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74

http://www.howeslube.com/dieseltreat.php

jkornbread

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
I recently made a mix with the following ingredients: Power Service (gray bottle), Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive and Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate. Approximately 1/3 of each in a 16 oz. bottle.

We'll how it goes when I put it at the next fill up.
My understanding is that mixing the Diesel Concentrate and the Centane booster without diesel fuel is counter productive. My understanding per Amsoil is that these products are a catalyst of sorts and work with the fuel, and was told to not mix them until they are in the fuel. Basically add them to the tank individually. This is how I add them in my Jetta..........

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
My understanding is that mixing the Diesel Concentrate and the Centane booster without diesel fuel is counter productive. My understanding per Amsoil is that these products are a catalyst of sorts and work with the fuel, and was told to not mix them until they are in the fuel. Basically add them to the tank individually. This is how I add them in my Jetta..........
Thanks for the clarification. Will keep this in mind.

blitzed

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 spd
This is true, add one to the tank, then the other, this is also what my amsoil rep has said.