Transaxle Removal How To?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I think I may need to replace the clutch in the 5-speed Jetta. I did a search, but could not find a "how to" for removing the transaxle. Is one available on the TDI list or VW Vortwx that anyone knows about? I have a Bentley CD, and it calls for a couple special purpose holders. I have a 4 X 4 and some all thread and hooks I can support the engine with (that I used when removing the '85 Jetta transaxle).

Also, I'm thinking of replacing the clutch with a Diesel Geek SMF clutch kit. Its nice they have all the stretch bolts needed. Good idea? or is the Spec Stage 1 a better option? I do not mind a little gear clatter from the DG clutch, I just don't want any damage done by whatever causes the gear set rattle. Thoughts on drivability of the two (I do a lot of stop-and go rush hour driving)?

Thanks.

--Nate

Justler

Veteran Member
Plan a long couple days if you have never done a transmission before.

Probably can mostly follow your Bentley. There's 5-6 bolts holding the transmission to the engine, taking off the axles, starter, slave cylinder line, shift linkage, etc.

If you take your time, it's not too bad. Some have chatter with single-mass flywheels, some don't. VR6/G60 should be good for about 300ft lb, maybe more if you don't beat on it all the time.

I found a transmission jack does almost no good. Just support the engine from the top... There are hook points on the front and rear of the motor.

Make sure you install the clutch in the right direction =). Replace the throw-out bearing. Make sure when it's all back together to bleed the slave cylinder. I didn't bleed mine all the way completely the first time, so I scared the crap out of myself =).

Where your axles connect to the drive flange is not sealed... there's lubricant inside. May need some extra replacement. Driveshaft bolts are stretch, prob wanna get replacements for those at least. I lock-tite mine in... don't know how many VWs i've seen with loose driveshaft bolts =/.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the reply. I replaced a clutch in the '85 Jetta and have the same 4 X 4 with hooks I used to support the engine.

I was just intimidated when I read the Bentley R & R procedure for the transaxle. Bentley calls for a couple of special purpose jack fixtures to lock onto the transaxle, and I think a tool to separate the engine from the transaxle, or hold them apart, or hold the engine back. I need to read it again. It appears that this is not an issue and a straight forward job.

One question: Can I get by with just unbolting the drive axles from the transaxle drive flanges and tieing them up, or do I actually need to remove the drive axles from the hub and from the car to get the clearance I need to remove the transaxle?

Thanks.

--Nate

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks Rick, that's just what I was looking for.

How come you upgraded the clutch? Was the original slipping with the RC 1+?

--Nate

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
PDJetta said:
Thanks Rick, that's just what I was looking for.

How come you upgraded the clutch? Was the original slipping with the RC 1+?

--Nate
Yup... Mostly in 5th on the highway, but some in lower gears when flogged.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's what mine started doing.

Question: Are the CV Joint (8 MM Tripple Square) bolts supposed to be replaced when the inner CV joints are re-attached? I always reused them on the '85 Jetta, but just read a VR6 clutch change procedure on VW Vortex and it said Bentley said to replace them.

--Nate

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
PDJetta said:
That's what mine started doing.

Question: Are the CV Joint (8 MM Tripple Square) bolts supposed to be replaced when the inner CV joints are re-attached? I always reused them on the '85 Jetta, but just read a VR6 clutch change procedure on VW Vortex and it said Bentley said to replace them.

--Nate
You're beyond me there... My new Bentley didn't make the trip to my garage, so I was going by the forum instructions. Fortunately, Phoenix had an earlier manual I could get the torque specs from. The flywheel bolts were 22, then 44, then 90 degrees more. PP was 15. TDIpart's kit came with new flywheel and PP bolts, but not 8mm TS bolts.