DSG DMF replacement

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Well my wifes 06 is making the dreaded noise from the DMF. I did not find any threads saying that VW is going to take care of this unless its under warranty which we are not at 113K miles. I have read several threads and the only info I found a on replacement is this one. http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=287

I would value all your opinions and some options. The Dealer wants $795 for a new one. Thank you in advance for all your help..

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
Clark20ry said:
Well my wifes 06 is making the dreaded noise from the DMF. I did not find any threads saying that VW is going to take care of this unless its under warranty which we are not at 113K miles. I have read several threads and the only info I found a on replacement is this one. http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=287

I would value all your opinions and some options. The Dealer wants $795 for a new one. Thank you in advance for all your help..
Thats the best option that I know of. Aaron usually will ship it out very quickly to you and at a great price.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Now I am really confused. I talked with Independent Automotive services from the trusted Mechanics link he states that the DMF is only $495 list price and no one has it. I talked to the dealer and he states its $795 and he has one. Bora is $678, so someone is not looking at the same thing. I did not get a warm feeling talking to IAS. He just kept asking if it was automatic or manual. I kept saying it's a DSG and the car is a BRM.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
Ok I finally did the research myself. The mechanic finally called back and stated he was wrong. Still doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about him.

I have another question. Will I be replacing this on a regular basis? of have they fixed this problem with the new DMF's? Or do I need to keep a spare $1500 around each time I have to replace it?

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
DMF exploded and catastrophic DSG failure

Well, mine was the latest casualty of a DMF failure (2006 TDI, BRM engine 75,000 miles). It let loose and damaged the tranny beyond repair, resulting in a 6K repair bill (VW picked up 1K). I saw the car apart and there was a 2 inch hole in the housing of the DMF and a trashed tranny bell housing. The new part number of the DMF should take care of the problem (according to another TDI site), but now am faced with keeping the vehicle and taking my chances or bailing. A $2000 extended warranty is looking good right now, given W's legacy of electrical issues, HVAC issues, and now this very complicated 6 speed gearbox. would have liked to spend 5 grand on something else for sure.
Is this problem only plaguing TDI's or are gas versions susceptible? I've heard the gearbox is the same, just the electronics are different.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
ITDID said:
Well, mine was the latest casualty of a DMF failure (2006 TDI, BRM engine 75,000 miles). It let loose and damaged the tranny beyond repair, resulting in a 6K repair bill (VW picked up 1K). I saw the car apart and there was a 2 inch hole in the housing of the DMF and a trashed tranny bell housing. The new part number of the DMF should take care of the problem (according to another TDI site), but now am faced with keeping the vehicle and taking my chances or bailing. A $2000 extended warranty is looking good right now, given W's legacy of electrical issues, HVAC issues, and now this very complicated 6 speed gearbox. would have liked to spend 5 grand on something else for sure.
Is this problem only plaguing TDI's or are gas versions susceptible? I've heard the gearbox is the same, just the electronics are different.
You should have bought a used tranny from the yards for less than $400. No worries. It's cheaper to buy/replace up to 10 trannies (in the worst case) than buy a new one.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
I hope I don't have to do that. We are scrapping up some money for Derek at Exclusive to do the repair. Right now it just sits in the driveway until next week. Then I will have to baby it to the shop....

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
hid3 said:
You should have bought a used tranny from the yards for less than $400. No worries. It's cheaper to buy/replace up to 10 trannies (in the worst case) than buy a new one.
Why don't you put together a container full of those $400 used DSG transmissions & I'll have them shipped to the US.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Windjammer said:
Why don't you put together a container full of those $400 used DSG transmissions & I'll have them shipped to the US.
Might be good idea, no joke. Of course if you cover full shipping price. No problem.

Clark20ry

TDI
2006 Jetta
micmoran said:
Hi there I have the Flywheel for your car ,if you would like .It,s used with only 4200 miles on it. Thanks mike
Thank you sorry for not respoding sooner. We had the car repaired last week. Works great. I have the old one. I talked with VW customer care instead of trying to help they asked if I wanted to purchase a new VW. I told her I would not buy another one if this is how VW handles known issues... I know I am beating a dead horse but I think I want to be a pain in the side on this. VW told me they have no know issue with this. I told her she was wrong..