How many quarts of oil does a A4 Jetta TDI take?

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
I searched, I read my owners manual, and I can't find it.

I've read about the vischsoities, etc, in the FAQ, I got the proper oil, and I don't know how much oil my car takes. I can't find it anywhere.

It's like the unwritten thing that everyone knows.

Please quick response. thank you.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
[censored].

I hate walmart.

They only had 1 container left of 1 gallon of rotella t syntehtic 5w30.

and I wanted to do the change tomorrow. damnit!

If I put in 4 quarts, and only drove for 10 miles or so at 35-40, would I be ok?

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
[censored].

I hate walmart.

They only had 1 container left of 1 gallon of rotella t syntehtic 5w30.

and I wanted to do the change tomorrow. damnit!

If I put in 4 quarts, and only drove for 10 miles or so at 35-40, would I be ok?
Yes. I bet you put the gallon in and you only have to put less that 1/3 of a quart in to top it up. Some say that 1 gallon is enough. I have found that it takes a little over a gallon, with a full drain. I usually add 4.5 quarts. I let it drain for a while though.

Philip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Grey
watch your measurements, I messed up the quarts/liters when I changed the oil the first time and put in way too much oil.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>1 container left of 1 gallon of rotella t syntehtic 5w30. <<

Did you mean 5W-40 ??? In the Blue bottle, yes ????

You should be fine with just the 3.7 L (1 US gal.) for a little while... just don't rev the engine too high...

Yuri.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
yeah, er, i meant that.

Ok

btw, I paid $12.84 for that at Walmart. Good price or no?

I've been to Napa, another place, and a McLaughlin, none of them have the oil I need. bleh.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
What about a coolant change, where do I get the coolant? (McLaughlin, pep boys, autozone, walmart?)

I'm going to check the FAQ and walkthru's for how to do a coolant change, but if it's not in there, once I drain it, do I have to flush it?

Thank you, I appreciate it. First time ever doing any real maintance to a vehicle. I realized I'd have to take care of the TDI when I got it, and I realized I'd have to learn things. I do read the forums, and I've learned a lot about misclinanious problems, but something as simple as a coolant change leaves me dazzled.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Re: How many quarts of oil does a A4 Jetta TDI tak

Sorry - your VW dealer only (or other places that carry VW's coolant).

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Re: How many quarts of oil does a A4 Jetta TDI tak

BTW - what year is your TDI ? If it is a 2004 or later - you need the special VW505.01 oil, and that Shell Rotella doesn't meet that standard yet.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
>>I paid $12.84 at Walmart<<

The only better price would have been to pick it up at WalMart in New Hampshire... (no sales tax)...

Coolant: G12+ Are you sure you need to change it? Look at your coolant reservoir... is the color nice and cranberry-like? If yes, you're probably fine, and have no need to spend money right now!!

Yuri.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
Coolant looks ok,

it looks like a light cranberry color though, but solid. kinda dark out though

Boy the fuel filter is easy to find, wait till the kids in auto see this. We had a nissan pathfinder in a few weeks back, one of the kids parents vehicle, and the fuel filter was a ***** to access, even on the lift, and was strapped in with a flimsy rusty strap with rusty bolts.

I told them my fuel filter was easy to get to, right in my hood, and they called shens.

er, they said i didnt know what i was talking about.

btw, it's a 2000.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
If you want to get that last 1/2 quart (500 ml) out, then you need some kind of vacuum suction device with a tube such that you can stick it into the small orifice (not the big one in the middle) in the oil filter housing and down about 8-10 inches or so. This will allow you to evacuate the oil cooler, which won't drain any other way.

If you don't clean the cooler out, then you'll only need a gallon of oil for a change.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
where is the oil filter, btw? general area, like accessible from the hood or what?
Remove the top engine cover. There will be a thing that looks sort of like an oil filter, but is really a housing. Remove the cap with a 14 flute 76mm oil filter cap wrench. Then you can replace the oil filter cartridge and the two rubber O-rings.

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
Well, I did the oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter.

The fuel filter still has airbubbles in it, big air bubbles sometimes. I think I might need to replace the butterfly clips.

I overfilled the oil, and it starts to smoke from the radiator or whatever, where the oil goes. It could have just been water (it was snowing / raining) hitting the hot radiator.

I put in roughly 4 and 8/10 of a quart.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I put in roughly 4 and 8/10 of a quart.
The 8/10 of a quart is too much. It would be too much if the engine was bone dry. Like I said, you should have put the 4 quarts in and checked the dipstick. Now you know for next time. 4 quarts, and then with my two cars, I add a little more, usually no more than a half of quart. Now you know for next time. BTW, what is exactly smoking?

fase2006

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GL green
I dont know.

I drained it, and added some oil, it's perfect now.

Somehow, one of the bolts was stripped on the engine cover. The only way to get it out was to break the engine cover. How much do these go for? I also got the bolt out, and I need to replace it. I can probably get the bolt at a dealership, but I don't want to get the engine cover from them, because I imagine they'd rape me.

I also have bubbles in the fuel line

I'll raplace the butterfly clips with new ones, and see if the problem persists.