New guy looking for VW recomendations

Saluki

TDI
shopping
Looking to hear what is now being said about the diesels. I read the thread right below this from 2015 but a few years has passed since then. Looking at replacing my commuter car. I drive 90 miles a day on I-95 to and from work. Would like something that is very dependable and great on mileage.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't fall for this post above. They are new and posting commercial ads without permission or registering first as required.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
And CPO is nice peace of mind considering that the car likely sat for many months or even years. Usually it means new rubber, brakes, battery. Of course I've had my CPO wagon for 6 months and it hasn't needed a thing, but the peace of mind is nice.

90 miles a day sounds like a perfect commute for a TDI.

tdiv

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
CPO is the way to go. When buying a car you're paying for paperwork, carfax, maintenance history etc.. CPO have very strict guidelines for a dealer to follow, the risk is a lot lower even though the price might be on the higher side.

Good luck with your search!

Saluki

TDI
shopping
Interesting and thanks for the info guys.

How do the late model diesels deal with the DPF and DEF systems overall? I have a 2017 F250 w/ a 6.7 Powerstroke, and it took them two previous engine designs to "get it right" and a lot of guys still delete theirs (I have not deleted mine yet).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Emissions snafu notwithstanding, VW did a lot better than the Navistar/Ford $hitshow. The '10 ('09, really) to '14 engines had some issues with the high pressure fuel pump and intercooler icing (probably not a problem where you live) but the incidence of these problems is debatable. The '15s seem to be working great. The DPF/DEF systems seem to work well, although not a lot of these cars have accumulated any significant mileage. Besides, all the emissions stuff is covered under the court-ordered warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Nothing to deal with. It works. If anything is wrong, the long long warranty takes care of it. If you do a delete you will give up the warranty. Might as well buy an older cheaper car if you want the delete, if you can still find one. Many of these were bought back and crushed.

Saluki

TDI
shopping
Nothing to deal with. It works. If anything is wrong, the long long warranty takes care of it. If you do a delete you will give up the warranty. Might as well buy an older cheaper car if you want the delete, if you can still find one. Many of these were bought back and crushed.

What kind of warranty did the put in place? I am unfamiliar with this..

Emissions snafu notwithstanding, VW did a lot better than the Navistar/Ford $hitshow. The '10 ('09, really) to '14 engines had some issues with the high pressure fuel pump and intercooler icing (probably not a problem where you live) but the incidence of these problems is debatable. The '15s seem to be working great. The DPF/DEF systems seem to work well, although not a lot of these cars have accumulated any significant mileage. Besides, all the emissions stuff is covered under the court-ordered warranty.

I spotted a couple of 2013-2014's that look interesting. How severe is this issue with the fuel pump and intercooler? Please elaborate!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What kind of warranty did the put in place? I am unfamiliar with this..
Are you unaware of the dieselgate scandal that happened? VW was found to have violated emissions regulations and was punished by fines and having to buyback and/or repair cars emissions systems and a 162k mile warranty to be put in place (short version). Find and read the settlement document so you are up to speed on this. It has been posted here many times. I bought a 2015 Beetle tdi new in 2017 that was an unsold car from 2015 and was "fixed" and sold. It has full new car warranty as well as the 162,000 mile 12 year emissions warranty imposed by the settlement. No other new car I am aware of has ever had anything like this. There are bought back 2015's out there that have been fixed and low miles available. I would look for one of those if possible.

Saluki

TDI
shopping
Are you unaware of the dieselgate scandal that happened? VW was found to have violated emissions regulations and was punished by fines and having to buyback and/or repair cars emissions systems and a 162k mile warranty to be put in place (short version). Find and read the settlement document so you are up to speed on this. It has been posted here many times. I bought a 2015 Beetle tdi new in 2017 that was an unsold car from 2015 and was "fixed" and sold. It has full new car warranty as well as the 162,000 mile 12 year emissions warranty imposed by the settlement. No other new car I am aware of has ever had anything like this. There are bought back 2015's out there that have been fixed and low miles available. I would look for one of those if possible.

I am aware of the dieselgate but I was not aware of the particulars of the settlement. That sounds like a hell of a warranty with them. I am going to have to look it up. Thank you for that info.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Few if any of the new old stock cars left. There are bought back cars that have been fixed and being resold now. My daughter bought a 2015 Passat SEL Premium with 20k miles or so for around $17k. That is about 1/2 price of what they were new back then. CPO warranty as well as the emissions warranty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Customer just stopped in and he's picking up a '13 Golf with 14K on it. Tech package, too. I think he said he's paying around $15K. That seems like a pretty good deal.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's safe to assume that every used MKVI or VII TDI you see on a dealer lot is a bought back car that's been fixed and auctioned to a dealer. Carfax will show the car going through Michigan, where VW Credit is headquartered.

AronS

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sedan Premium 6 Speed Manual
I bought a 2014 Jetta new 5 years ago and it has been very dependable. The only difference I've noticed since the fix is a slight decrease in fuel economy. I did have an issue with the EGR system approximately 10,000 miles after the fix, but the car ran normally until it was repaired and it was covered by the warranty. I've put on another 13,000 since that with no issues.

The 2015's are a little more powerful and fuel efficient, but the trade off is you have to add diesel exhaust fluid every so often-- not a huge deal, but I personally would rather not have to think about it.

Saluki

TDI
shopping
The 2.0 L TDI motors, what kind of longevity are people seeing out of that motor when it is taken care of? Should it be reasonable to expect in excess of 300k on the clock?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Too early to tell. I know we have a number of customers with well over 200K miles on CJAA engines ('10-14). No significant issues.

Saluki

TDI
shopping
Another question. Turbo's....

What is the typical lifespan of turbos on these cars, at least the newer models (2010-2015)? I seems to be seeing threads of where guys are having them fail.

I know the turbo's failed on the first 6.7 Power Strokes, but that is because they had ceramic bearings.

So.....?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Good average would be around 150K miles. Sure, some last longer, but the truth is that the temperatures the turbo experience with regens shorten their lives.