Changing battery in 2002.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I'm ready for a battery finally (it appears to be the original) I called my local VW dealer and they are 122 bucks, so I'm fine with staying with the OEM battery.

However, I don't think I have a radio security code for the car and it has a Monsoon system. Should I use a jump box to provide continuoius power to the car while I swap the battery out?

Or is there no fear in having issues if I just unhook the battery and put the new one in?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That radio should retain its memory so long as it is not removed from the car.

You will need to reset your clock and your windows on that model. If the old battery has been allowed to go dead or very weak, you should also clear any low voltage DTCs from all the modules.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
If you're worried about it, you can get a 12V adapter that plugs into the accesory plug. It uses a 9V battery to maintain some of the memory items. But if you're quick enough doing the swap you probably won't need to worry about it.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I could go out and read my manual of course but I'd rather ask. What do you have to reset the windows to do?

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
I could go out and read my manual of course but I'd rather ask. What do you have to reset the windows to do?
It's the 'one-touch' feature that needs to be re-set - to do this simply put the windows up & down once via holding the button down / up.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I'm ready for a battery finally (it appears to be the original) I called my local VW dealer and they are 122 bucks, so I'm fine with staying with the OEM battery.

However, I don't think I have a radio security code for the car and it has a Monsoon system. Should I use a jump box to provide continuoius power to the car while I swap the battery out?

Or is there no fear in having issues if I just unhook the battery and put the new one in?
I have a 2002 and I can assure you the radio will be just fine. I just had my battery out to do a clutch changeover and it acted like nothing had happened.

Yes the dealer battery assuming they give you the right one is a pretty good deal as aftermarket 94R batteries are in that price range or higher. You want to make sure the dealer gives you the 80Ah battery not one for the Beetle or Gas version.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys, he said "3 different batteries fit your car"... so we went out and pulled the part number off of it. It is in fact the 80Ah battery. I then asked him how much the core charge was. After fiddling on the computer he said "You're gonna bring the old one back right?" "Yup" "Well then I won't charge you a core" The funny part, it was a cash sale.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Thanks guys, he said "3 different batteries fit your car"... so we went out and pulled the part number off of it. It is in fact the 80Ah battery. I then asked him how much the core charge was. After fiddling on the computer he said "You're gonna bring the old one back right?" "Yup" "Well then I won't charge you a core" The funny part, it was a cash sale.
What's funny about that? If you pay $122+tax + $10 core, cash or credit, you'd get the $10 back either way when you bring the old battery back. If there's no core charge on the receipt, when you bring the old one back they just won't refund you anything.

My stealer didn't charge me a core when I bought a new battery for my '02. They also wouldn't take the old one back.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What's funny about that?
The fact that they have absolutely no idea who I am... so if they really did want the core back and I decided I was too lazy to drive 25 miles one way to bring it back I wouldn't have to.