Egr

Garth Libre

TDI
Sportwagen
My 2014 TDI is throwing a code and in Tennessee I need to pass emissions. I was set to take the EGR and clean it but my car does not have the EGR bolts visible as in all the videos I've seen. I may have to break down and find a mechanic. I live close to Chattanooga. Does anyone have any good mechanic shop that won't mess up the car and will clean the intake manifold safely if it needs that too? My car has 90,000 trouble free miles so far and has not been altered for the newer standards.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What code is it throwing? That would help. I would be surprised if it needed the intake manifold cleaned. Are you also saying it has not had any of the fixes done specified in the court settlement? These kinds of things are covered by warranty if you are getting the fixes done. Does your state require the fixes be done to pass inspection? The trusted mechanics list is here to find someone close to you.

Garth Libre

TDI
Sportwagen
code P2413

It is throwing P2413 and no modification was done to the car as mandated by the massive recall. I opted to drive the car all original as from the factory. I'm glad I did because in a recent round trip from Chattanooga to Knoxville, I averaged over 50 mpg (almost 54). I don't think that would have been possible had I done the recall. I'm looking at the routing again and it looks like I just might be able to get the allen bolts off, but for this I'd prefer someone who has done this particular job before. Tennessee does not check to see if the fixes were done. They put a hose in the exhaust and that's it.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
1.) Are you sure it's P2413? Ross Tech's wiki page knows of no such engine trouble code.

2.) Why not just go get the fix done? It's free, you should get some cash back, not to mention an extended warranty that covers CELs for emissions related problems.

3.) You should update your profile. Is it Miami or Chattanooga?

4.) CELs on the common rail TDIs have typically nothing to do with intake manifolds or EGR valves being clogged. It's most likely an emissions issue, not air intake.

Garth Libre

TDI
Sportwagen
I got that code from my Actron 5 months ago of P2413 and I cleared it. It came back a few weeks ago and it went away. On line at the testing station it came back as P2413 again. It seems like this is the normal code for an EGR and at 90,000 miles I would expect that.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Advise you to do the mandated fix or be prepared to fork out $$$ out-of-pocket to fix it and then your 50 MPG will be a false economy when you count the total costs.

Or keep driving it with the CEL.

Garth Libre

TDI
Sportwagen
I'm inclined not to do the pollution fix

I've spent virtually no money fixing this TDI since it went off warrantee. If I have to spend a few dollars to keep the car running as per factory I'll consider it a bargain. My understanding is MPG's drop considerably after doing the mandated fix.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
In actuality, the mileage impact is "your mileage may vary." It has ranged from minimal to, as you say, considerable. Fuelly is the best place to see real-world results, not a bunch of anecdotes.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Isn't the usual code for that P0401, insufficient EGR flow? His code might have something to do with the exhaust valve. Still, it's true that all the emissions related stuff would be covered by the extended fix warranty -- until that runs out. Then you will have to replace DPFs and EGR coolers on your own dime.

Clawdog60

TDI
12 jetta sport wagen
mileage

I've spent virtually no money fixing this TDI since it went off warrantee. If I have to spend a few dollars to keep the car running as per factory I'll consider it a bargain. My understanding is MPG's drop considerably after doing the mandated fix.
You'll never see 50 again with BS emission BS.
Wish mine didn't have the scandal deletes!

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
well I'm sorta glad I did the fix.. even thought I had to have 2 dpf's replaced ( mileage now at 68,000).. BUT I did get 5500.00 in cash for it and the warranty covers alot more.... sooo very soon I will use around 1800.00 of the 5500.00 to get the delete and tune.. and be real happy!!