Parking lot morons

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
While I was parked in a lot last week I returned to find that someone had parked, head on, in the opposing space. They kissed the chromed piece of tin that surrounds the grill on my 2006 leaving a small, but highly visible, dent on the lower section. Nothing else was damaged. Needless to say, they didn't leave a note taking possession of their stupidity.

Since this is the first sustained damage to my 2006 with 5K miles (the first being the most difficult to accept) I would like to replace the piece. Are there any recommended parts outlets for body trim parts other than a VW dealer? It appears that this piece will come off of the vehicle with minimum effort.

A Google search did not bring back any sources for this part. Thanks for any replies.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
The other vehicle was gone by the time I returned and found the damage. I believe they call that "hit and run." Had they still been there it would not have been pleasant.

the.ronin

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV 2.5L
Ouch. That happened to me too. Worse part was that I just couldn't figure out where it happened so as to avoid it in the future.

It annoyed me anough to go straight to the dealer the next day and pick up a new shield. Set me back $175 if I recall ... other online parts places only sell the entire grill assembly and I didn't see the need to spend $250 before shipping for that.

It was also a great excuse for me to lose the front plate brackets. :D

Considered professional ding repair but didn't want to wait ... also was not sure if they could deal with the chrome.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
the.ronin - That's exactly what happened to mine, only, it would be to the left and center (behind the plate). Damn, I'm out $175!!!???

Was removal problematic in any way?

the.ronin

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV 2.5L
Jetta Knight said:
Was removal problematic in any way?
Cake. :D

Two torx screws up top and two Philips screws close to each corner at bottom. That removes the center grill. Then it's just a bunch of snaps to release the chrome shield. Just be careful with the snaps.

JustLuckey

Veteran Member
TDI
Non-VW: 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Alway try auto salvage/junk yards. They normally have 'totalled' cars with frame damage, but normally half of them are damaged from the front (think of what they hit)....so the yards may have the front intact.