The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Oh man... could you imagine having to re-pin another connector if you were not able to make that fitting? Yuck.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I know we've got a couple MTDI guys in here... I just received my LR 300 TDI pump in the mail. (PN 460 414 069) now im looking for the other bits and pieces that ill need to strap it into my 1996 passat. it will be pulled back out and swapped intosomething else when the passat is finished rotting away into an un-drivable pile of reddish debris.

Im in need of an ALH hub and pulley, hoping i can find them for ~$50 shipped. i can get a pump core for a little more than that.

Any recommendations on a dial gauge for timing? what exactly do i need for adapters and such? never done it without ECU before.

Im also unsure of what parts to use for the accelerator cable. Any US spec passat parts can i find that will work, like from a 2.0 or VR6?

i work in a sheet metal shop so making brackets and such are not a serious issue there.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
as far as setting up and using dial gauge look at, as i know your on that site, vwdiesel.net, faq, setting timing. theres a whole section on vince's personal site on how-to set up/use the dial.
as far as finding one a good one should cost $100-$120 or so. some people dont like PP for that tool.
^think that comes with the adapter.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
I've had decent luck with ebay timing tools. Sets pop up for around $50 pretty regularly, though the quality can be variable. Getting the measurement accurately can be tough as binding adapters and the like are common.

The "ideal" accelerator cable would be from an AAZ powered car. They're around in Canada. It's for exactly that application pretty much. The 2.0 stuff probably works but I can't say for certain.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I have read the timing how to and the hub installation how to so I'm comfortable that I'll be able to do it, just don't want to fight with a crappy tool to do it. I think my dad has an old dial gauge. I'll have to see if he has any adapters.

I will have to look on eBay for the Canadian aaz parts.

h2oskibum

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Well I finally am getting around to putting in the peloquin and the 6 speed conversion.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I know we've got a couple MTDI guys in here... I just received my LR 300 TDI pump in the mail. (PN 460 414 069) now im looking for the other bits and pieces that ill need to strap it into my 1996 passat.

Why convert from E to M?

-Todd

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Like I said, this will eventually be moved to another body. Ideally an older pickup or an old VW if I stumbled on the right one.

Besides that, I have no interest in dealing with a tuner after my last experience. Suffice it to say that communication was inadequate, I didn't get what I paid for and I eventually stopped trying to get it.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
if you have a metric dial one thing you need is the adapter, i think the partsplace adapter would be do, seems ok quality. the other thing you need is the plunger. i think the 1.6 adapter will fit on the m-contraption you now have.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I used the same gauge on my Rover pump as I used on my old 1.6. The threaded adapter was different though - larger pump plunger = larger adapter.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Besides that, I have no interest in dealing with a tuner after my last experience. Suffice it to say that communication was inadequate, I didn't get what I paid for and I eventually stopped trying to get it.
Sucks, but I have a feeling most tuners are just enthusiasts, who have normal day jobs.

I'm guessing you'll lose the speedo, cruise and some other cluster functions if the ECU isn't seeing the E IP.

Yes, I used the same gauge on my Rover pump as I used on my old 1.6. The threaded adapter was different though - larger pump plunger = larger adapter.
I was looking at my Landy pump. I was just thinking find a correct brake fitting and tap the hole to the gauge holder's threads.

I ended up buying a Mantra holder for about $20, which isn't bad considering it shipped from Snap-On. The site I ordered it from, didn't mention Snap-On.

The junk ebay holder was a pain to use.

I think most of the interest is for EMPs and SHTF. Though there could might maybe possibly be a downside to having the only working car during the apocalypse.
My AAZ Rabbit will be one of them.

-Todd

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Cruise and the tach will be gone without the ECU, the rest of the gauges and the speedo will keep working fine though. The ECU can be left in place without the electronic pump, that'll keep the tach working.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Had Matt Phelan take care of a couple of items on the B4V last Monday.

I had been chasing a low boost issue for a while. Matt found it and fixed it in an hour. The inlet hose to the intercooler had a crack in it. He used a radiator hose to fabricate the replacement boost hose. Also solved a small fuel leak to the injectors and reseated all the injectors. (I caused the leak trying to reseat the injecters without the proper tool). Lastly, he cleaned, lubed and adjusted the lock on the rear hatch. Total repair time was two and a half hours.

Now I can reinstall the plastic panel on the tailgate and replace the tailgate struts.

It was good to catch up with Matt again. Nice to have the car running well again.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
6 speed... that sounds fun... are you doing a write-up of your swap? (I love my partner's JSW with 6 speed... maybe enough to d it to my 96 Passat!)

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Write up has been done 5+ years ago and still running strong.

Read posts 75 to 110 in this monster thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=346876&page=6

And I liked this kit enough to buy a second one!!
I love mine too, the second kit I bought is still not installed in the Mk3, maybe this fall I'll get around to doing the work I need to do to the jetta. I still have a few parts that I need to round up.

As for the B3V TDI, just did second oil change and a tire rotation. Car is working very well.

Steve

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Lots of stuff over the past few days...

I have my standalone VNT controller working well now...

Some overshoot in the first gear pull there which I may try and massage out. However it's good enough for me!

Did the left rear window regulator for the 3rd time. Really getting sick of that...

Swapped in a rear wiper motor from a B4 and identified the cause of my last motor getting so noisy - the washer fluid tube that goes through the motor is cracked and is dumping fluid in to it. Ordered a new one of those...

I had a bad oil leak at the cooler. I swapped the bigger V6 Passat cooler in when I put the TDI in. Looks like the gasket was defective or I didn't have it quite straight when I did the install, it was in pieces when I removed the cooler. New one appears to have solved the leak.

Got some new wheels - I had some off brand alloys that looked good but weren't straight. Had a decent steering wheel shake when I swapped out my winters last year and again this year. Tried to have them balanced, shop showed me how much 2 of them were wobbling. New Enkei PFS wheels now, quite happy with the look. Though my ugly rear drum brakes are now quite visible....

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did the yearly ritual of adding a can of stop leak and some refrigerant to the AC system, on the sedan.

I'm on the fence about fixing it the proper way, which would require swapping the condenser core and all other ancillary parts, flushing, vacuum, etc.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Did the yearly ritual of adding a can of stop leak and some refrigerant to the AC system, on the sedan.

I'm on the fence about fixing it the proper way, which would require swapping the condenser core and all other ancillary parts, flushing, vacuum, etc.

-Todd
Are you confident the leak is inside the car?

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, I'm thinking it's the condenser, in front of the rad.

When I bought the car, the PO had a replacement core support and grill, for me. He must have slid under a truck or something. Anyhow, the system held pressure, but both the rad and condenser were tweaked, the condenser being worse off.

I was able to bend it back into shape with plywood, 2x4s, clamps and prybars. This was done on the car, without opening the system.

The rad ended up being replaced a couple years ago, due to corrosion, but the condenser is still holding on.

-Todd

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
Today I got the front end of the DD Passat up on Rhino Ramps and R&R'd the oil and oil filter with the odometer just passing 340K miles. I always use Mobil 1; this time the 5 quart jug of 5W-30 was $22.96 from WalMart and the Mann W 840/2 filter was less than $10 from eBay. I routinely add a cup of Power Service Diesel Kleen (grey container) in the summer and Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement, Arctic formula (white container) in the winter with each tank fill up. I also add a half cup of Marvel Mystery Oil with each fill up. My fuel pump and engine have not complained yet.

I have come to realize that buying and driving this now 20 year old 1Z TDI Passat was one of the better decisions that I have made in the last two decades. (And I've made too many stupid decisions.) And yes, I did become a tinkering TDI enthusiast, which is what you will become if you own these reliable cars for any length of time. But now sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder if the car will outlive me.

I've got to say that I enjoy driving the DD so much that I have to go out of my way to plan an excursion for my back up plan B4 TDI Passat. Just some passing thoughts. Jeff

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i never use that 'sludge' stuff any more. the power service. pretty low on the quality. for most fuel treatment you need to refer to the bottle, its usually something about 2oz treatment to 10gals of fuel. (or 1oz to 5gal). i use liberally a little more for a tank full, as fuel is lube dry these days. use a better quality fuel service. not to say on some of the other forums that stuff has ended up ruining some pumps, and these may be special rebuilt/built, and i think they specifically will not cover pumps that use that PS stuff. winter anti-gel mix has to be adjusted. i find its dependent on outside temp.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
You guys have 2 days to figure out what this is, where it was supposed to be, and where it ended up. From the last of the three it will be easy to tell what happened to the B4. This happened on our other B4, not mine. Pictures time from the cell phone:

Promise, I'll tell the whole story if you guys cannot guess what happened

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys have 2 days to figure out what this is, where it was supposed to be, and where it ended up. From the last of the three it will be easy to tell what happened to the B4. This happened on our other B4, not mine. Pictures time from the cell phone:

Promise, I'll tell the whole story if you guys cannot guess what happened
Is that part of a valve spring?