Bad radio reception

BeaverBanker

TDI
03 golf
Since we bought our 03 golf tdi used in 05. The radio reception has sucked.. its like a 1/8 distance of all the other vehicles i own. It has the factory radio and antenna. Is there a spot where the cord from the antenna to the radio could be cut or unplugged?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My '00 Jetta has always had good reception on FM. But, about 4 years ago, the AM went all but south. Prior to that, the AM was really awesome.

Let us know what you learn!

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
What radio do you have, as some can do a test mode check of the antenna. I think that all mk4 have a power boost antenna. If water gets in to the antenna base, it can take out the amp.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
With radio "on" push and hold "MIX"button for about six sec. Should go into test mode. Push "MIX" button to then step through.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
BeaverBanker said:
Since we bought our 03 golf tdi used in 05. The radio reception has sucked.. its like a 1/8 distance of all the other vehicles i own. It has the factory radio and antenna. Is there a spot where the cord from the antenna to the radio could be cut or unplugged?
__. Yeah, radio is bad especially on '03's. There are a couple of long threads on this - a search will pull up a lot of info.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Sip'n Diesel said:
all MKIVs?! I don't have any complaints about the radio (as usual;)) but this is something I might do out of curiosity:D
As far as I know, just the radio shown in post #4.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
TDI-Newbie said:
Are there any write up on how to take this out... ?
Easy to do,
-open hatch
-remove headliner trim on the body of car
-pull headliner down to gain access
-wire is fairly short there as it is not one cable that goes to front of car.

20-30 mins tops to re/re

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
npdimonte said:
I see "TEST1", "Antenna: ON", does this mean its OK?
__. Scroll through the other items too. The antenna gets power down the cable for the amplifier; the "Antenna ON" means the radio sees that it's sending power down the cable, it doesn't mean that the amplifier is actually working and if it isn't working, the radio reception will be either sucky or non-existent. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's "OK".