VW Lupo 3L TDI

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Hello everyone! First post on this forum, here are some pics of my Lupo 3L that I have had for about 2 years now.

It was completely stock when I got it, and it looked like this:

Now, after some minor mods, it looks like this:

This tiny 1,2litre car has now done over 250,000 miles in the last 11 years :)

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Nice Lupo!

Did the transmission give any trouble during those 250k miles? We never got this in the UK (only the 1.4 TDI). Wish we did - I'd love to steal the aluminium body panels off a written off 3L, put them on a 1.4 TDI and tune it up to around 160bhp. Would make a nice little pocket rocket :D

You can remap the 1.2 TDI to around 80bhp I believe. Would probably help with MPG too.

Ash :)

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Nice Lupo!

Did the transmission give any trouble during those 250k miles? We never got this in the UK (only the 1.4 TDI). Wish we did - I'd love to steal the aluminium body panels off a written off 3L, put them on a 1.4 TDI and tune it up to around 160bhp. Would make a nice little pocket rocket :D

You can remap the 1.2 TDI to around 80bhp I believe. Would probably help with MPG too.

I've just had the car for the last 7,000 miles of its life, but I was told from the previous owner that it is infact on its original gearbox and turbo :)

And the fact that it is stock and not remapped/tuned is pretty much why I think :) Would love some more power, but I think that it will put a lot of extra strain on a car that has already done very close to 400,000km (just 1500 to go)

It is in fact quite nippy once its in motion, not from a standing start, but from 40-60mph it is on par with for example a Golf 1,9tdi 90hp

Looks great. I bet the 1.2 TDI helps avoiding a part of the brutal Norwegian taxes too?
Thanks :) Yes, it really does. Since Co2 emissions are heavily taxed here, the very low emission figurs for the 3L (81g/km) helps cut the taxes by a great deal, since cars with 100g/km and less have cuts in the taxes. And since the 3L has the lowest emission numbers of all cars, including hybrids, the tax cut is almost the same value as the taxes on weight and horsepower, so almost no taxes at all on this car :) Well except the 25% sales tax on whatever you paid for the car in the country you bought it in.. Nothing is for free over here...

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Does the real world fuel consumption live up to the claims?

It was a real shame about the Oslo bombings. Wishing a speed recovery to those affected.

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Does the real world fuel consumption live up to the claims?

It was a real shame about the Oslo bombings. Wishing a speed recovery to those affected.

It's not far off actually, but I think the car is a bit affected by its mileage, it has done 399.000km now, and I've seen how new injector nozzles help restore the original mpg figures on worn engines. But anyway it now does about 3,9L/100km instead of 3,0/100km. And the cosumption went up a bit when I replaced the skinny low resistance tires on superlight stock magnesium rims to wide low profile tires on heavy Porsche 16" rims.

So all in all I'm pretty happy with that :)

Mind you, I think I have more power in the rear of the car than in the front, haha :D

And a pic of the engine, 3 cylinder TDI compared to 3 rotor rotary from my old car ;)

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Yep, 20B goodness :D Had the cosmo for many years, struggling to get it registered (not easy on japanese imports), so in the end I sold it to a friend who wanted it only for its engine. Its now being tuned to 600+hp and will end up in a RX7 or 8, depending on what he decides on in the end :)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The only thing I would change are Lupo GTI xenon headlights ;)
Can you show dashboard pictures? I LOVE the look of the 3L steering wheel.

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
The only thing I would change are Lupo GTI xenon headlights ;)
Can you show dashboard pictures? I LOVE the look of the 3L steering wheel.
i had fewer dashboard shots than I thought :) But here is a few from the day I bought it (before I cleaned the interior):

I have changed the seats (the were DONE after 250 000 miles) with some classic Recaros (w/armrest), much nicer to sit in now :)

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Long time since update. but things have happened in the meantime :)

I have my own little graphic design/signmaking/cargraphics business (just me, no employees), and I wanted to look into something new for me, full body wraps. So I bought some 3M vinyl made for wrapping, and started out on the Lupo;

Nice to work with, I guess 10+ years of experience with vinyl graphics helps out, but this went well :)

I have to do a bit of mending to the sills before wrapping them (some dents and dings, and some rust), so as of now it looks like this (had to put on winter tires on the stock rims because of the weather now):

Also made a quick photoshop of how it will look when all is done, I have already changed the indicators to dark ones, and I have to paint the rims black, looks so much better I think :)

And the matte army green colour suits the car well IMO :)

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Haha, great idea :D

I have my own car graphics business, so I don't have to paint it either, just cut some vinyl and apply :)

Haakon

TDI
Lupo 3L
Thank you :)

I redid the mirrors in gloss black, and the roof in brushed steel effect vinyl (3M car wrap vinyl). Came out pretty good I think :)

Kymerik

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS
that has to be one of the niftiest things i have ever seen! Love the War paint matte green scheme, looks great on that lil bugger. Do you have any updated pictures of that monster of a system it looks like you were building in the boot?

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Any idea how long the vinyl will last? Does it do anything to the paint?