Vin number 8th digit HELP!

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
Hi. Umm My 8th digit value on my vin number is a "J". I have a 2010 Jetta TDI. Now, how come every single website that sells parts for vw's only recognize the values "K" or "M" as the 8th digit? Nowhere can I find a J. For example I am looking for a radiator support online, only shows parts for K or M. The dealer even had problems I think finding parts for my car. Does anyone have a tdi that has a value "J" for their 8th digit?

If you do, what is my car closer to in terms of parts, K or M.

Thanks

bora2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5-speed; 2009 Jetta TDI 6-spd; 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen; 2015 Golf TDI SE - Manual 6spd; 2012 Jetta TDI
..... Does anyone have a tdi that has a value "J" for their 8th digit? Thanks
I have a '10 Jetta SportWagen (4/10 build date) with the same "J" value for position 8 of the VIN.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
The 7th and 8th digit in the VIN represent the Model Type: 1K = 2005-2009 Jetta or Jetta Sportwagen, and AJ = 2010 Jetta or Jetta Sportwagen. Part numbers do not necessarily correspond the a VIN, meaning a 2010 model can have many parts with 1K that fit...

tomhangler

TDI
2010 jetta tdi
vin number: 3VWAL7AJ3AM147xxx

I understand that each digit means something. However when most sites and dealers ask if I want the part for a M or K, what do I tell them? I dont know what my car is "closer", a M or a K. Thanks

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The seventh and eight digit is model type AJ is 2010 Jetta/Jetta sportwagon and 1k is 2005 2009 Jetta /Jetta sport wagon. A is the year J is the model

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Excellent thanks. I was under the impression, however that there was a way to find the exact production date of the car using the VIN. There is a production sequence number though.
A dealer can plug your VIN into their computer system and find out the exact build date (see my sig), however this info is not available publicly. You have to know someone at a dealer who will check it for you.

Have Fun!

Don

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
still doesnt answer my question bout buying parts for vin M or K
Tom, You question has been answered 3 times already.

The 7th and 8th digit in the VIN represent the Model Type: 1K = 2005-2009 Jetta or Jetta Sportwagen, and AJ = 2010 Jetta or Jetta Sportwagen. Part numbers do not necessarily correspond the a VIN, meaning a 2010 model can have many parts with 1K that fit...
M is an older model jetta...code '9M' was used for a Jetta pre 2005...

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/VW/VWvin.pdf

So to answer your question I would say 'K'
The seventh and eight digit is model type AJ is 2010 Jetta/Jetta sportwagon and 1k is 2005 2009 Jetta /Jetta sport wagon. A is the year J is the model
The 9M is the 99.5 - 2005 4th generation chassis. The 1K is the 2005.5 - 2009 5th generation chassis. The AJ is the 2010 model. Note I did not say the 6th Generation chassis because technically it is still the 5th generation chassis (The JSW has the 6th Generation nose).

A dealer can plug your VIN into their computer system and find out the exact build date (see my sig), however this info is not available publicly. You have to know someone at a dealer who will check it for you.

Have Fun!

Don
As Don (and many others) can attest to, I just so happen to be one of these dealership guys. If you want, you can PM me your complete VIN and I can tell you the exact date your car was completed.

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Tom, You question has been answered 3 times already.

The 9M is the 99.5 - 2005 4th generation chassis. The 1K is the 2005.5 - 2009 5th generation chassis. The AJ is the 2010 model. Note I did not say the 6th Generation chassis because technically it is still the 5th generation chassis (The JSW has the 6th Generation nose).

As Don (and many others) can attest to, I just so happen to be one of these dealership guys. If you want, you can PM me your complete VIN and I can tell you the exact date your car was completed.
Ygpm

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk