Diesel smell at cold startup?

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, my first ever TDI. This is being used as my project car right now but is there supposed to be a smell when it starts cold? althought I do need a whole new exhaust, I thought there was a problem with the exhaust manifold or the injectors. I just wanted to know if there is supposed to be smell at first startup or from "cold"

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Hard to tell what your sensitivity is, but going from no fuel flowing and cold to fuel flowing and cold start one can expect to smell some odors: I don't much like the smell of gassers, so they tend to assault my senses.

Check around the engine bay around the various fuel lines, injection pump and injectors for any signs of "wet." Best just after you start it cold: if there's an issue it might be diminished as heat expands things.

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well... the smell goes away after it warms up but the smell does stick around after parking it in the garage and its a really bad smell

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Oh really? I didnt actually know that cause this is my first encounter with a diesel engine or car overall. The smell usually comes out from behind the engine and after the car is turned off and parked the smell kinda lingers afterwards out of the exhaust.

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I had a buddy tell me that the smell is normal but after leaving the car the smell is still there

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Walk by an old Ford IDI diesel some time. These things REEK diesel, running or sitting, inside and out! (I know, I've got one!)

On these engines, however, there ARE places where exhaust leaks tend to happen, you might look just to verify. You would typically get extra noise (possible that you're just not able to hear). The flex pipe from the EGR cooler to the EGR. The down pipe.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Perhaps you have a small exhaust leak or a cracked egr pipe.
Diesel exhaust smell lingers or raw diesel fuel (liquid fuel) smell?? Fuel line connectors come up by the passenger side strut tower.
Look for wet/damp spots and have someone start the engine up when cold while you look around the back side of the engine for exhaust leak. Engine cover removal may make that easier.

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Well the whole exhaust system is shot because of rust that'll have to be replaced, only under the car, the smell does come from the back of the engine from the exhaust manifold, but the cold startup diesel smell is noticeable but I've been told its normal but the smell lingers after the car is in park and turned off but I will check around those areas.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
It's normal. It doesn't/can't burn real clean when the cylinders are stone cold.
What jettawreck said. What you're smelling is atomized but unburned fuel that was injected during the first few cranks before it fired up. The CAT in the exhaust system is also stone cold and won't do anything until it's up to temperature.

I love the smell of diesel in the morning. :)

Good luck and Welcome to TDIclub. :cool:

SHuynhh

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Yeah and from what you guys are saying I feel more relieved now I thought there was something wrong with my exhaust manifold or the egr system itself. thanks a lot guys.

slowandeasy

TDI
Just a thought , make a smoke can from two air line connectors and a new paint can, fire up a old rag and run compressed air thru to pressurize your exhaust system .... smoke means a leak. Hose, seal etc. Heads up be careful that can is going to get hot! So think through your safety plan. My problem was a return vapor

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just a thought , make a smoke can from two air line connectors and a new paint can, fire up a old rag and run compressed air thru to pressurize your exhaust system .... smoke means a leak. Hose, seal etc. Heads up be careful that can is going to get hot! So think through your safety plan. My problem was a return vapor
A: old thread
B: a leaf blower and soapy water works much better