Eureka, I found it! Biodiesel in Sparks!

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have always liked the idea of increased lubricity by a minimum blend of 2% Bio-D in my fuel. After much internet searching and phone calls to places that are listed as still selling Bio-D, they no longer exist it seems. I live south of Reno and there are no longer any sources nearby. I found out kind of by accident (okay it wasn't by accident, I did make some more calls) that there is Bio-D in Sparks at a Card Lock Station. To purchase Bio-D there, a card is required and that card requires an application and credit approval. So I am applying for a card and I will let you all know what is available after I get approved--I hope--.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
I thought there was a Willie truck stop your way and I think a cardlock in Dayton that does bio.

Afaik safeway is supposed to run B10 At least in reno.

For 2%, make your own, isn't that hard

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
For 2%, make your own, isn't that hard
As said above making a small quantity isn't hard. Use the Dr. Pepper method and virgin canola oil from the grocery store.

https://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/biodieseltutorial/makingasmallbatch/

For 2% you would only need about 3 oz per tank +/-. A gallon of oil should provide you many tanks worth. Everything you need can easily be found at Lowes, auto parts store and around the house.

Nice to know how to do even if you don't make and use large quantities.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
A solution in search of a problem. How many injections pumps does the average ALH go through in the life of the car?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That wasn't the question though. Many people want to use an additive (commercial) even though in most cases there is no need, yet they like the idea. Same here for bio. The OP has been around here for 10 years so I presume they know what they are doing and why they are doing it. If the question had of been "Please talk me out of using bio!" your answer would have been spot on. Too bad it wasn't.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I guess I just don't understand the extremes that people go through. Doing the Dr Pepper thing... around here you would get busted because they will think your doing a one pot Meth recipe.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Just put the oil and leave out the Dr Pepper . Much easier to put a bit of veggie oil in and lubricity is increased. Only issue with bio is swelling pump seals, not so bad at low mixture, veggie oil should be used if you can't find bio

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I guess I just don't understand the extremes that people go through. Doing the Dr Pepper thing... around here you would get busted because they will think your doing a one pot Meth recipe.
Not any more extreme than hunting down your favorite commercial diesel additive. People want what they want, even if it isn't needed. You can't get busted for making biodiesel, only if you are actually making meth. You may have to answer some questions though "if" you draw attention to yourself somehow. Doing this in the privacy of your own home I don't see how anyone would know. Nothing needed is out of the ordinary or on any list that I am aware of.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Roebic-Laboratories-Inc-32-oz-Drain-Cleaner-Crystals/4751600

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/heet-gas-line-antifreeze-water-remover/

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
First off, thanks to all who responded, and it isn't just about saving the IQ as they do last a long time even with the low lubricity, low sulphur, D2 fuel that is generally available for on road vehicles. I guess veggie oil is always an option, but it would not be my first. My tank and fuel lines are crystal clear and I know that is is due to the Bio-D I used to run. I do appreciate the link to making my own Bio-D, and I have the background to actually make it without hurting myself or anyone else in the neighborhood, I just won't...
Lightflyer, please tell me where my math is wrong if you would: 15 gallons (x) 4 quarts per gallon is 60 quarts or 1,920 ounces, right? If 10% is 192 ounces, and 1% is 19.2 ounces, wouldn't 2% be 38.4 ounces or just a bit over 1 quart? Thank you for your patience. ;-)

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I guess veggie oil is always an option, but it would not be my first.
Would be better to do on a long trip where bio isn't available if you're running a percentage at home. Just helps maintain the pump seals when forced to go without for a bit

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Wouldn't making Tequila or Mezcal be a more socially responsible use of Agave than making BioD?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just me. I'm sure if we started making Bio-D out of Agave, our neighbors to the south would get extremely upset. :D

flobocop

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hello, there

There have been 40 views so far, does this mean there are TDI-ers around me I don't know about? If so, speak up.
I just found this thread. My wife and I live south-of south-of Reno (Gardnerville). We own a 2003 TDI Jetta wagon veg-oil conversion. Good to see another Nevadan on here! :)