Looking for stronger head gasket for ALH

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
None of that, I started having issues after spraying W/M, car ran fine for a while then it started lifting the head when I turned it on, so the culprit is the meth

BustedBolts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 and 2002 Golf's
I have ran 36-38 psi for awhile on stock never apart 180k mile headgasket and stock 10.9 bolts on my alh. My thought is you either have too aggressive timing or you are way past efficiency on that turbo. And overtorqued studs will warp the block when tightened and lose sealing ability.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I've had 2 head gaskets blown in my golf already and I'm trying to find out if anybody knows if there is any place where I can get a copper head gasket made for the ALH, I got the bolt ons with my golf, so custom made studs are already in place , pressure from the boost is just killing the head gasket, head can't be kept in its place, if I can't get a copper one I may have to try spray liquid copper on the OEM gasket, any suggestions?
I don't know crap about this, but you came here and asked a question and several, if not all of the answers to your question points to something (most likely) other than the gasket. This thread should be locked, allow you to try a copper head gasket, and if it fails, start a new thread. Not one person on this forum will ever change your mind until you prove yourself either right, or wrong.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
None of that, I started having issues after spraying W/M, car ran fine for a while then it started lifting the head when I turned it on, so the culprit is the meth
Sounds like you've isolated the problem.....:rolleyes:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I got #1 injectors after turbo and also #1 pre intake
And still lifted the head, I agree the topic is copper head gasket not why head got lifted everybody's opinion here about why it lifted about torque on head is headed the wrong direction head is not warped and I know is the W/M

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
I assume #1 refers to 1 gph. Such low amount has nearly zero effect on PCP. I had 2 x 10 gph nozzles with 50/50 W/M mix but still my crap OEM head gasket didn't start to leak.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Not sure if this is any help but 'am in the same position on a 5 cylinder pd. Coolant and oil running out the back of the head between the head/block and we have assumed the head is lifting with 40psi boost and w/m :( After a bit of working out and a strip down of the engine we have found blueing in the cylinder bores due to hot spots but have also checked the head which has lead us to believe that it's an over heating problem possibly causes by not enough coolant flow from the oe water pump.
I'm only running a 10% mix of meths just to stop freezing in the colder months but I do run a lpg mix of 25% to diesel. We think the more complete combustion of the fuel in the cylinder has increased the combustion temperature but the head bolts have not failed which may explain my problem.
I'm now looking at removing the oem pump which is mounted in the block in my case and fit an extenal electric high volume water pump as to not increase cavitation within the water ways but help with cooling around the hot bits.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm now looking at removing the oem pump which is mounted in the block in my case and fit an extenal electric high volume water pump as to not increase cavitation within the water ways but help with cooling around the hot bits.
on the 4cyl at least the pump is not the first bottleneck, it is the little tiny 3/4" pipe that carries all of the thermostat bypass flow

meaning, when the thermostat is closed all of the flow through the engine is through that tiny pipe
run an external thermostat and you can increase the bypass flow through the magic of assorted plumbing bits

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
on the 4cyl at least the pump is not the first bottleneck, it is the little tiny 3/4" pipe that carries all of the thermostat bypass flow

meaning, when the thermostat is closed all of the flow through the engine is through that tiny pipe
run an external thermostat and you can increase the bypass flow through the magic of assorted plumbing bits

I'm not firmiliar with that engine code but I'm just suggesting it might not be the combustion pressure that is lifting the head :) I should have also made myself clearer as I'm going to remove the thermostat and setup another by-pass with the thermstat in a different location.