VW TDI Recalled Autos

leowaner

TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 178K miles on original engine. New turbo & cam/lifters @ 150K
When VW retuned their recalled TDI's did they re-burn the ECM modules in such a way that prevents those cars from ever accepting any subsequent aftermarket "Stage 2 or 3" tunes?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
When VW retuned their recalled TDI's did they re-burn the ECM modules in such a way that prevents those cars from ever accepting any subsequent aftermarket "Stage 2 or 3" tunes?
I don't know but this is the first time I have heard that one. Did someone tell you this? Why do you ask?

leowaner

TDI
2005 Passat TDI, 178K miles on original engine. New turbo & cam/lifters @ 150K
Because here in Madison, WI we have Ford selling <50k mile, "recalled" VW TDIs for <$8K. I would dislike buying one of these TDI's and finding out that they cannot be retuned so that improved MPG, HP, and torque numbers could be obtained. It strikes me that VW might purposefully do something like "locking the ECM" to prevent future liability issues?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably can't do that as they would also lock themselves out as well. IIRC there are some here who have retuned already. Doing this puts your warranty at risk though if that matters to you. They can already tell easily if it has been messed with. They could probably care less if you retuned as that would get you off the long list of warranties they have to manage. More money for them. Just don't be surprised when/if it happens.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Because here in Madison, WI we have Ford selling <50k mile, "recalled" VW TDIs for <$8K. I would dislike buying one of these TDI's and finding out that they cannot be retuned so that improved MPG, HP, and torque numbers could be obtained. It strikes me that VW might purposefully do something like "locking the ECM" to prevent future liability issues?
You still didn't explain as to where you heard this. Is this just something you dreamed up? I have not read on this forum of anybody not being able to tune a buyback car. You do not need to return the original ECU specs to before the buyback in order to further tune the car.

Last edited:

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
I know first hand that these returned/retuned cars can still be tuned. The one I know of took a Malone Stage 2 tune without any problem and the owner reported that his mileage went up 7 miles a gallon checking it by gallons used/miles.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have no problem tuning them, had updates sorted within a couple of weeks of software release. Big thank you to everyone involved with bench-flashing them to build a database, know aarodriguez did a ton.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Easy solution is to buy a salvage computer. Tune that one. Run it. When you need servicing, swap in the original...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Have you done it? Someone posted on another thread earlier that it wasn't such an easy peasy job to do. Possible though as they did it.

DieselkW

TDI
2013 SEL
I sold my '13 SEL with 60k miles back to VW, and waited 6 months - bought a '15 Passat TDI SE with only 20k miles. Dealership claims it was "fixed" and they were unwilling to Un-fix it for me.

Took it for a spin from Indianapolis to Baltimore and back, 1250 miles total, and Fuelly reports 54mpg.

I set the cruise control at 70mph, a hair over 1800 rpm. I briefly saw 56.3 on the screen (1) before having to climb up the Allegheny mountains east of Wheeling.

I gotta wonder if they bothered "fixing" it at all. Been considering a tune, even if it were just to restore it to factory settings, but my SEL never got over 53mpg (Indianapolis to Galveston) so I'm going to leave it alone.

Next vehicle will likely be a VW I.D.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line

The first thing I did after letting vw fix mine was take part of the $5500 VW paid me, and
Rawtek turbo back 3inch high flow cat and resonator and
Malone stage 2 tune.
Now I consistantly average 52-55mpg with my 14 JSW

Howard2005

TDI
2005.5 Jetta 256Kmi, 2014 JSW DSG
Malone Stage 2 tune in California

Can I do a Malone Stage 2 tune on my 2014 JSW here in California and still pass smog? Not happy with 34 MPG avg Im seeing.
Thanks

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
Can I do a Malone Stage 2 tune on my 2014 JSW here in California and still pass smog? Not happy with 34 MPG avg Im seeing.
Thanks
I'm doing only slightly better with my 2013 Golf TDI DSG. Over the past 3400 miles I've averaged 36.1mpg. Pretty crappy when you consider the 2013 Jetta TDI Premium DSG I turned in got 40.1 over 23k miles. At the time I bought the Jetta the Golf TDI was rated for 42+mpg vs the Jetta TDI at 38mpg. I feel robbed!