Purchase Advice Needed - 2012 Touareg vs. Audi Q7

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Hi All:

Looking to reduce my current vehicle costs. Have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (lifted with 35"s wheels) that gets 15mpg on a good day. Currently costing me $850 per month to drive (payment plus fuel). I used to have a Jetta Sportwagen TDI that I purely loved. I'm considering buying a Toureg from my local dealer who I had a long relationship on the service side when I owned my Sportwagen. I have two boys who play hockey and we are on the road a lot during the winter so 4WD/AWD is a must. I'm also considering the Q7 due it having a 3rd row but I've read reviews that it eats tires, brakes and doesn't get that great of gas mileage. What is the general consensus here about the Touareg vs. Q7?

Also, I'm considering this Touareg which I drove today briefly and am going back tomorrow to look at further, get it on the highway, etc. My only concern is the Carfax. It is showing 4 owners but looks like Carfax screwed up between the 2nd and 4th owner. Also it looks like it was in the shop a lot with the 4th owner which I brought to the attention of the sales manager. He agreed but said he would review with me the service records from what the dealership had done to recommission it and obviously highlighted the warranty that VW is offering. Thoughts?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...opperListingsSearch=5125415#listing=251780408

35 Yr Dsl Veteran

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport
The add is showing a white one, but says totally different color! Plus, no pics at all?

From St. Augustine VW dealership, I got a fresh from VW TDI fix 2012 with 80,000 miles, great CarFax, and was a one owner vehicle for $15,800. Was in San Antonio its entire life, and it was important to me that it was not exposed to road salt.

You might contact a local VW dealership or two (or more), and tell them exactly what you want and price range. You might have to wait a little bit, but it could be worth it.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Based only on a sample of two, and different model year range:

Fuel economy is likely to be similar for the same model year. 2013 would be considerably better than my 2010 (did once test drive a 2013 Touareg, FE did seem really quite a bit better). FE on my 2004 V10 Touareg is about the same as 2010 Q7 V6. About 10l/100km for me (24.5 US-MPG) 2011 would be better - 8-speed transmission. 2013 better still, revised engine.

They will both get through tires - both permanent AWD SUVs. I do not do very high mileage and haven't had any problems

Q7 is longer, better back seats and longer cargo area. It also seems to be much more prone to rattles on rough roads: sunroof and console. Touareg is surprisingly rattle-free for a 15-year-old.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Thank you for answering my post. I ended up purchasing the Touareg over the Audi primarily due to the fact that it is CPO and has a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from VW which I could not seem to find being offered from any Audi dealers. Picking up this week once the title arrives from VW corporate

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Thank you for answering my post. I ended up purchasing the Touareg over the Audi primarily due to the fact that it is CPO and has a 2 year unlimited mile warranty from VW which I could not seem to find being offered from any Audi dealers. Picking up this week once the title arrives from VW corporate

Do you mind sharing the details of the purchase? Is that a 2012 with a CPO? If so that seems great. Our 2014 Touareg is fantastic, but with about 160k miles I feel like depreciation has probably led it to the point where we are best keeping it until it needs a major multi-thousand dollar repair. We still have emissions warranty to hopefully cover the major things. Its just a beast of a vehicle and despite not liking SUV's and preferring my JSW in terms of driving experience, I really admire the Touareg. It hits a solid balance of fuel economy, power and capability, safety, and driving experience. Its also a very lux vehicle that flies under the radar. I think its just as nice as the Q5/Q7's but without the badge which I like.

I don't feel like I see many high mileage Tregs out there, but I'd love to get ours to 200k and hopefully well beyond. But I may change my tune once it begins to need things like suspension components and the costs get insane.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Sorry for not getting back to you. There was an issue obtaining the title from VW so I didn't want to jinx it. Yes so it was a 2012 CPO 72k miles with the 2yr unlimited mile warranty. Purchase price was $15.5k and they gave me roughly $27k for my Wrangler with 64k miles. Probably could have gotten more for the wrangler but I was happy with the deal. Just drove the T3 down to Long Island for a client and got 28mpg on the way down. Already loving it (knock on wood). My oldest cried for a few hours when I told him I was getting rid of the wrangler but I promised that I'd buy another (used) one when I'm in a better position (currently getting divorced). Broke my heart but I know I did the right thing

JulieChicago

TDI
Jetta Wagon 2014
How many miles were on the the car? Insurance totaled my 2014 JSW TDI after Halloween crash, and I’m taking a hard look at the Touareg TDI. Your price was great, and if it’s CPO that means it was under 75K miles, I’m just wondering how many miles under? Having a hard time finding a CPO 2012 TDI T’reg in my area, and rental is killing me at neatly $400/week.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
72k miles. Yeah I've noticed that there are a decent number of touaregs out there but not offered by VW dealerships. Gotta keep searching. I jumped on mine. They didn't even have a picture of it on their website but it was listed on CarGurus. Sorry to hear about your JSW.