Leveling motor install on E-codes?

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
I have a set of FK Designs E-code Jetta MKIV headlights for me 2001 Jetta. I see they are wired for the leveling motors. (the three wires with the small white conector) I understand that the motors should plug right in. I have all of the parts needed to do the OEM Foglight upgrade, but what am I going to need to put the leveling motors in? I imagine I will need a switch of some sort, wiring repair wires, relay, relay holder...ect. Does Impex carry these parts? Any one have any tips on install? I would like to assemble everything to install this all at once and take it apart only once. By the way the, FK E-codes are, IMHO, a very nice light, seem every bit as good as my NA spec OEM lights. I got a killer deal on Ebay, both E-codes for $140, FK even overnighted the lights to my house for the normal price that I paid for shipping! I don't think you could one OEM replacement headlight from the dealer for that! Any info you guys could pass on to this TDI Newbie would be appreciated. I have looked at as many threads as I could on this...This site has been very helpful! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
You'll need 2 motors, the dashboard rheostat, wire, and some wire taps. I bought the Hillside Imports kit. They have everything including a wiring diagram, wire taps, etc.
Fairly simple install: The motors click into the back of the headlight housing, and you only have to run one wire through the firewall (plus another wire for the foglights.) I ran mine through the main wire bundle near the driver's-side wiper, but there's a grommet in the middle of the firewall that works very well.
http://www.hillsideimports.com
Ask for Dan if you call 'em. They're a good bunch.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Thank you very much Oldpoopie! (love that username, kids still haven't finished laughing!)I am going to put all of this in the same time I put in my E-codes so I only have to do it once! When I put all of this in I will take pics and post the install.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
when your doing the wiring, the cleanest way to run the wires it to remove the battery, airbox, windshield wipers, and rain tray. Then you can run the wires from the drivers side headlight thru the wire chase, and into the rubber grommet in the firewall that is beneath the raintray. It's more difficult than running them loose thru the grommet near the abs pump, but I like keeping the wiring protected and hidden.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
If you get the leveling motor rheostat from Hillside, also order the 5 pin housing that plugs into the back + at least 2 additional connectors to plug into the housing- you will reuse the existing 3 that plugged into the old dimmer switch.
I used the Scotch connectors as some of the diagrams show. When I have time I think that I will remove and solder most of these. They are just kind of cheesy for the application, IMO.

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
The Hillside kit includes everything. I'm gonna' remove my patch connectors and solder mine, too. In the long run, I think it's the only way to go.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Does any one have the actual VW part numbers needed for this? I have some, but they may be for the HID conversion, or should I just bite the bullet and get the Hillside kit? Am I going to save any money trying to piece it together from Impex or somewhere else? Thanks!

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
You could probably save a couple bucks buying parts, but the complete kit's simple. Everything in one box.

VW Vet

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GL TDI, 2001
I just priced the leveling motors at an auto parts store here in France. They were 30 euros each. That's about $37 US. The roller switch is a dealer item. Price not looked into yet. Are the motors and switch available at the dealers in the states?

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
I don't think any of the US spec cars have this feature stock.....At least none of the ones I can afford /images/graemlins/smile.gif

gern_blanston

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, '03, Silver
Found some of the old boxes in my desk at the office.
The part # for the motor is 1J0 941 295 C.
The part # for the dual-rheostat switch is 1J0 941 333 A.
The part # for the plug that fits ths switch is 1J0 972 723.

vwsandman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 01' Blue lagoon
Thanks for the info!, I will look around and do some price shopping, but I think the Hillside kit will end up being the way to go after it is all said and done.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
Old thread and a couple of new replies.

I think you have to have the European Code headlights and the Euro headlight switch. Then the wiring harness. The Hillside guys make it for a Jetta. As I have a B4, I'm on my own. But, A2B4guy does wiring harnesses and he's checking into the price for the harness. The Euro code headlamps with a place for the motor are available from TMTuning or several other vendors. Eurocullen also sells them, but he's notorious for taking quite a bit of time. Right now, he's waiting on an order and its been about a month.

The switch you'll also have to source with the leveling rheostat. Then the headlight motors as well. All of this amounts to $$$ for something that you might not even use all that often...

I think that's it, but someone, I'm sure will correct the inaccuracies (if any) in my statements :)

Ralf

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Well, I now have all my parts for the conversion (Euro 25th AE headlights, rheostat & harness sourced from ECS Tuning and motors sourced from my local Audi dealer) but have a few questions. This is a non-HID install & all the pages I've seen seem to be directed towards HID lighting. My car already has a 10-pin plug vs. the 12-pin theses seem to be dealing with. Will I need to do any wiring mods inside the headlights? I was also looking for some schematic for the wiring that goes to my normal dimmer switch. Which wire goes where (ie Old connector location # to new connection #) in the new connector/harness? Don't hate me for being too careful on this. Any links would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Anyone care to hook a multimeter up and tell me what resistance range the rheostat runs? I've got some Hella projectors with motors on the focus and...well....I'm cheap.

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
BoosTDIt said:
would leveling motors work with NA headlights?
Yes... open rear of headlight, remove white plastic/brass fitting and that is the hole where the levelling motor would go. The reflector connects to the housing at three points; the two top adjusting screws and the one bottom point (either the mentioned plastic/brass piece or a motor in its place).

Here are some images for a better idea:

keggo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Really not that hard... I believe the wires are as follows... positive, negative, and ground... You can put them whereever in the connector. I have a custom pinout on the back of my headlights, but I lost the diagram that I drew! That means taking the headlights out and the covers and figuring out which pin is what.. bleh... The rheostat should have at least two connections for positive and negative.

Last edited:

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Update; I ordered the updated kit from ECSTuning. Their harness includes the correct roller switch, the harness & some cool jumper plugs which eliminate any modifications to the factory plug & wiring. Now, I just need to get off my butt & install the damn harness. :p Too many other irons in the fire, so to speak.

Anyways, link to their kit w/o motors;

or

w/motors

Last edited:

ReferenceDesign

Veteran Member
I recently did a HID install on a set of InPro Ecodes. I found the leveling motors had an issue when traveling to their limit where the housing interferred with the reflector.

Notice the corner touching the reflector.

I removed the offending corner with a hot knife:

Here is a view from the top with the motor removed. Notice the flat in the white wire. This was caused by the leveling motor crushing the wire between the reflector and the motor housing.

The next group of pictures is the extended housing made to house the solenoid that moves the lamp between high and low beams.

finally the install on the drivers side where clearance was the closest:

Sebpt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (SOLD). 2005 MB E320 CDI
I know this is an old tread... however I am looking for a set of leveling motors for my new set of FK projectors. Would the Hella fit?

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Retract lamp as in make sure motor off/rheostat off, the lamp is at it's lowest setting, and turning the motor to 1 2 3 brings the lights up?

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
The adjustments used so the lights don't shine into oncoming traffic, those two screws need to be adjusted so they are all the way inward, then install the leveling motor. You'll understand once you start the job.