Votes: 62 73.8%
  • Jetta

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Wait for Golf MK 7

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters

GeoTDI

TDI
2011 United Grey Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed, sunroof, cold weather pkg, navigation, dyna audio
I have just left the dealership and im trying to decide which new car to purchase. 2011 VW Golf 4dr TDI vs 2011 VW Jetta TDI both 6 speed.

I'm leaning towards the Golf bc it felt better I drove both.

Price is about the same, however the jetta comes with Navigation at that price *(golf is impossible to find in 6spd with Nav)

My concern is a that the New MK 7 will be out so soon...

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice!

Thanks!

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
IMHO the latest Jettas are boring as hell to look at. On top of that, Golfs are more versatile and sportier. I guess it all comes down to what you prefer style-wise.

warbird24

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I've always been partial to the Golf. Of course I LOVE the 2 door version and they have not made a 2 door Jetta for a long time. That really swayed me. The other item was the "Made in Germany" tag on the Golf also.

If you haul more people than gear, then the 4 door in either one makes sense.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
Yeah, I drove both and felt the Golf was the better of the two. The sales guy really tried to sell me the Jetta, especially after we got the price on the Golf down and dirty.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Hands down the 2011 Golf.The 2011 Jetta is a downgrade compared to the 2010.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
I got the 2010 Jetta TdiCup, and love it. larger brakes, GLI/GTI suspension, 225/40R18 tires... Don't really care about the RNS-510 nav radio, I like my Garmin better if I admit to needing it (reaal men dont need directions, right?). If you need any luggage space... then it's jetta

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
The Golf is superior to the Jetta in so many ways, so much that it might even come with an arm rest. And a hood strut. And a fuel gauge. And a temperature gauge. And independent rear suspension. And a soft dash.

I got the jetta TdiCup, and love it. larger brages, GLI/GTI suspension, 225R40R18 tires... Don't really care about the RNS-510 nav radio, I like my Garmin better if I admit to needing it (reaal men dont need directions, right?). If you need any luggage space... then it's jetta
He's talking about the 2011, which is quite different.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
no brainer....I am biased...jetta looks like an old man's car...sorry jetta owners....golf has soooo much more stuff on it.....and those wicked sport seats on the highline....GTI with a diesel engine. once you feel that high tech rear suspension (same one I had in my old 2003) in the Jetta and drive the golf hard in a bend with mega ruts....you make the call. and man o man that hatch ROCKS...so friggin handy. the only negative is lots of wiper use in rear glass in rain....(hate mudflaps)

Red Sox Nation

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 manual Jetta Sedan
I bought a 2011 Jetta TDI. Although I honestly LOVE her, I wish I would have come on here, did some research, asked around (pretty much what you're doing here). I can, at or around around 99% surety, say that I would be a 2011 Golf owner right now.

You have to get what works best for you, in the end. Whichever you choose, I can tell you you'll be happy...

bort

TDI
2011 Golf 6 speed 2 door
There was no guess work for me. I ended up with a 6 speed 2 door Golf. The only thing that was even a remotely tough decision for me was 2 door vs. 4 door.

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
The Golf is superior to the Jetta in so many ways, so much that it might even come with an arm rest. And a hood strut. And a fuel gauge. And a temperature gauge. And independent rear suspension. And a soft dash.

He's talking about the 2011, which is quite different.

that's right, no comparison, and no more cup. go golf(ing)

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Golf all the way. I got to drive each car on the highway for about 5 hours each and I have to say that the golf was a lot nicer. I was expecting a bit more from the new jetta. Also I believe that the golfs are made in Germany and not Mexico.

GeoTDI

TDI
2011 United Grey Golf TDI 4dr 6-speed, sunroof, cold weather pkg, navigation, dyna audio
Oh man this is great! 10 to 1 GOLF, it

I'm psyched!!

this is a pic of the golf!

Last edited:

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Golf assembled in Wolfsburg
Jetta assembled in Mexico
I have had five Golfs and one Jetta and the Golf is just right for my needs. Just the correct size not too big or too small.
No brainer for me.
I don't intend to upset anyone in Mexico, but after all it's a Volkswagen and should come from the father land... Again just my personal feelings.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
depends on age and maturity.

I have just left the dealership and im trying to decide which new car to purchase. 2011 VW Golf 4dr TDI vs 2011 VW Jetta TDI both 6 speed.

I'm leaning towards the Golf bc it felt better I drove both.

Price is about the same, however the jetta comes with Navigation at that price *(golf is impossible to find in 6spd with Nav)

My concern is a that the New MK 7 will be out so soon...

Would love to hear your thoughts and advice!

Thanks!
If your young and crazy, go the golf...

If your older and settled, the jetta will be more suitable.

OCDiesel

TDI
2011 Golf TDI w/ DSG
Golf

If you can wait for the 2012, then you'll be able to get HD-Radio if you choose the RCD512 system. You'll also be guaranteed to have the latest revision (Nov. 2010) of the HPFP.

Initially, my first choice was a Jetta until I read about the "decontenting" process that took place on the 2011s. Then I found out the Jettas are built in Mexico and the Golfs in Germany. Then I went to the dealership and actually compared the two.

I bought the Golf and don't regret my choice. Good luck

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
If your young and crazy, go the golf...

If your older and settled, the jetta will be more suitable.
I am old and really friggin crazy....my motorcycle is fast.....my camaro SS is pure muscle....and my GOLF is pure joy....the jetta is soooooooo yesterday already....jettas on every corner in toronto.... already.............. and the folks drivin them DONT look thrilled....golfs are just ...well....just beyond everything I expected....and the armrest is adjustable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and ya rarely see them....compared to mexican jettas.

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
The Jetta is a more practical car than the Golf (especially in rear passenger area), however both aren't as practical as the Golf Wagon/JSW.

And guys, you do realize VW really needs to sell a lot of Jetta sedan in order to continue making Golf available right? If they can't sell lots of cars, they might as well pull out and we'll not even going to get any VW product at all. VW North America can't rely on a few thousand GTI/TDI enthusiast buyers each year to stay in business. You guys want VW to end up like Alfa Romeo and SAAB right?

It's a good thing that the new Jetta is everywhere on the street (if it really is everywhere). Hell, these 2011 Jetta are excellent taxi, look at the huge trunk and spacious rear passenger leg room. No question, I'd hop into the back of a black Jetta taxi instead of Corolla anytime.

And what's the problem with Mexican made product? Some of you guys racist against Mexican assembler?

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm not racist against Mexican assemblers. I have a jetta that was assembled in Mexico and I'm very happy with it. But I still prefer the new golf over the jetta. I'm sure the quality control is the same so it shouldn't really matter where they were assembled.

It's probably just in my head but a German built car has a different feel to it.

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I thought the Golfs were made in Brazil. My MkIV Golf was assembled in Curitiba.

I have a MX Jetta and a Wolfsburg Tiguan. They are both new and I can't see, feel, smell, or hear and difference between them. Maybe after a few thousand miles The difference will become a little more apparent. I doubt it though.
The MKV Jetta is put together very well. I've been impressed with the laser welding and the way all the body panels come together. It's all very smooth and seamless.

The Mexicans assembling the Jettas aren't the same Mexicans with neck tattoos driving lowriders where you live. I have net hundreds of highly educated and skilled Mexicans since moving to El Paso.

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
The golf will probably be assembled in Mexico in 2012, usually how it goes first year production in germany after that mex, brazil. My vote is for the Golf, they look so nice...So much better then the mk5.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm not racist against Mexican assemblers. I have a jetta that was assembled in Mexico and I'm very happy with it. But I still prefer the new golf over the jetta. I'm sure the quality control is the same so it shouldn't really matter where they were assembled.

It's probably just in my head but a German built car has a different feel to it.
The issue with feel has little to do with assembly location and everything to do with the cheapening of the Jetta. The MkV Jetta (Mexico) and Rabbit (Germany) drove essentially the same because they were basically the same chassis.

The current Golf has retained an independent rear suspension while the Jetta has the older twist-beam setup. That most likely explains why the Golf feels better.

A better comparison would be between the Jetta Sportwagen (Golf Variant here in Canada) and the Golf hatch. The Sportwagen is still on the MkV chassis with IRS. The Sportwagen is made in Mexico, the Golf in Germany.

JMaN06

TDI
2011 6.7 cummins
Are the only things making the jetta "better" ur opinions? Or is there facts? Im about to buy a tdi tuesday or wednesday and im leaning towards jetta. From what ive read negatives are plastic dash, mexican assembly, and solid rear axle. Aside from the axle i dont see an issue. I myself am only weary because of the rear suspension setup.. Doesnt chsnge the feel IMO but i was never a fan of solid read, always a fan of irs. So for me, thats the deal breaker. Is there anything really negative about the jetta?

Im 21 n i agree golf looks sportier. But to be honest i NEVER was a fan of hatchbacks. Owned a couple but never liked to looks. N ive owned many perofrmance cars, once again is the feel between jetta and golf personal preference? Looks i pick jetta all day. I didnt drive the new golf but i sure didnt pick out anything i didnt like about the jetta.. Except theres one on everyroad.. Which like previously stated is a good thing for vw

As far as assembly, i think the jettas chsnges make it more of a jap feeling car. Maybe thats why its opened itself up to new buyers. Maybe why i now like it.. But who knows!

My bottom line is, is it preference or are there facts. Im aboutto buy one and dont want to make wrong decision

ronsig

TDI
Golf TDI Wagon 2011 6 speed
My Golf (Jetta in US) Diesel Sportwagen is less than a week old for me...I hesitated for a long time to actually buy a Mexican VW...since I had always owned German-built VW"s: 2 Beetles, 2 Jettas and 2 Passats over my many years. I am pleased to say that the ride and quality that I have so far noticed of my new Golf is exceptional! My decision was actually made last June for me while in Berlin. On Unter den Linden, (the main street), VW has a wonderful showroom. I learned there that the Golf Variants sold in Germany are also built in Mexico. From that point on I decided it was worth the chance. So far: I have not been disappointed in the least! The mileage is amazing!

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Are the only things making the jetta "better" ur opinions? Or is there facts? ........ (bunch of mis-spelled words and torturous grammar thereafter)
Both vehicles are new; both vehicles have the same engine and transmission options and both vehicles return similar mileage. The objective differences are primarily braking, cornering and acceleration. Most of the rest (fit, finish, styling and size of the vehicle) is subjective to the user and their needs.

GeoTDI

TDI
I ended up getting the GOLF TDI and I am thrilled!! I didn't get get the one in the pic... Found a United Grey 6 speed one with Sunroof, CW, Nav & Dyno audio.. Love it!
For me me the decision came down to the Test drive. I knew there would be a difference between the the two, but I didn't think the difference was going to be that great.. they are literally completely different rides. The GOLF is so much more of a drivers drive , if that makes sense..

JMaN06

TDI
2011 6.7 cummins
Geotdi that makes perfet sense! Drivers car i guess! Amen to US a4 tdi! It better happen ....SOON!

BigArniedog which would you say brakes accelerates n corners better?

For me its just hard because i really dont like the look of the newer golfs..

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It all depends on your needs. Do you need more hauling room? golf clubs, suitcases... Then go with the Jetta. Do you need more sport and better toys? Then go with the Golf. Still can't decide between those two? Go with the sportswagen and get the best of both. Like I did.

JMaN06

TDI
2011 6.7 cummins
For me personally its just for fun.. But i like the looks of the jetta alot more. I dont need it for space really only room for a sub. N Isnt the sport wagon a solid rear axle too?