Passat B6 Coilover questions

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Hey guys, I'm thinking about picking up a set of coilovers for my passat B6 next week. Can anyone walk me through the procedure and also if possible tell me the torque specs on all the bolts when I'm putting them back in. I've installed coilovers before so I have a brief idea what I'm doing but I want someone elses input just incase I'm forgetting something!

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
When working on our B5, we had of make sure that the weight of the car was on the suspension and all those little steering linkages before the final tighten. We discovered this after changing a bunch of the parts. Everything was torqued down while that car was suspended in the air. Then when we put it on the ground the new parts wore out quickly. So we had to do it again.

I am not too sure what the B6 looks like but if it is similar to the B5, I would consider that when doing any suspension work.

My MK4 (Beetle) is more forgiving when working on the suspension etc...

Should be nice once it is done!

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Thats interesting, thanks for the advice. My start a little project thread soon and upload some pics!

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
That's a really helpful write up thanks for the link! Has all the torque specs too. As for the counterholder tool I assume the spark plug socket with allen key down through the middle will do the same thing? I dont have the strut spreader bit either I usually just used to spray around the bottom of the strut and loosen it by hitting with a rubber hammer but I might pick up the spreader to make life easier!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
When working on our B5, we had of make sure that the weight of the car was on the suspension and all those little steering linkages before the final tighten. We discovered this after changing a bunch of the parts. Everything was torqued down while that car was suspended in the air. Then when we put it on the ground the new parts wore out quickly. So we had to do it again. ...
That should have been due to the pinch bolt/upper control arm & top hat configuration. In that case the upper control arms need to be installed/tightened into the top hat at the angle they would be when on the car, on the ground at rest. If tightened at any other angle, the bushings in the upper control arms are under a constant "twist".

Long story short, I don't think the Passat B6 chassis uses the same type of UCA, thus shouldn't have this same issue.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Do you guys recommend I get adjustable drop links also or are they needed?