How to disable / disconnect DRL - with pictures

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
10then34 said:
So I guess I'll have to spring $350 to get rid of the DRLs, that annoying 'honk' when I lock the doors and the 'anti car-jack locks'.
The $350 is worth it for the VAG-COM, but as to the DRLs, I still think a switch on the panel is far better. I like the car to beep to confirm the doors are locked (there are actually several options on the beeping), and it's nice that the car locks its own doors at 12 MPH or whatever it is.

I did find the seatbelt warning a bit irritating. Having driven the old preglow diesels for years, I'm in the habit of putting the belts on after inserting the key.
- stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo E-codes​
on order 63mm cat and straightpipe exhaust.)
'81 W123 240D/300Dt 5 sp

Last edited:

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
unitacx said:
The $350 is worth it for the VAG-COM, but as to the DRLs, I still think a switch on the panel is far better.
If I had a choice, I would rig it to switch to DRL on the 'marker lights' setting of the Euroswitch.

I like the car to beep to confirm the doors are locked (there are actually several options on the beeping),
I used to live in a narrow city street. Nothing more obnoxious at 2am than someones car telling them that the doors are locked or their good for nothing car alarm is armed.

and it's nice that the car locks its own doors at 12 MPH or whatever it is.
Why is that ? I am typically the only one in that particular car, the next car-jacking from the place I live in has been 225mi away and I just don't see the safety benefit in being locked into the wreckage after a crash (I once had to extricate someone out of a smoldering smashed up vehicle. The only thing between me and the passenger door opening was the lock. You don't know how hard it is to smash a car window when you need to, a good size rock did the trick in the end)

I did find the seatbelt warning a bit irritating. Having driven the old preglow diesels for years, I'm in the habit of putting the belts on after inserting the key.
What I find super irritating is the warning that goes off if you open the door with the key in the ignition. If I have to wait for someone, I like to listen to the radio with my feet outside of the car. If you want to keep me from locking the key into the car, how about not allowing the driver side door to lock if the key is still in the ignition ?

HighPsiTdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
10then34 said:
Why is that ? I am typically the only one in that particular car, the next car-jacking from the place I live in has been 225mi away and I just don't see the safety benefit in being locked into the wreckage after a crash (I once had to extricate someone out of a smoldering smashed up vehicle. The only thing between me and the passenger door opening was the lock. You don't know how hard it is to smash a car window when you need to, a good size rock did the trick in the end)
just because it isnt likely to happen near you doesn mean it cant happen, i live in a city where im glad the doors lock, also if you crash the airbag module sends a signal to the central locking module to unlock the doors and tells the ecm to shut of engine and fuel pump and the hazard switch to turn on, flashing the lights. i know this because it not only does it say so in elsa but i had a car one time that would stall the engine, unlock the doors and turn the hazards on after driving for a minute or two. turns out the hazard switch had an internal short to ground on this wire that runs to all the modules, the airbag module grounds this wire in the event of an accident. gotta love the germans

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
10then34 said:
I once had to extricate someone out of a smoldering smashed up vehicle. The only thing between me and the passenger door opening was the lock. You don't know how hard it is to smash a car window when you need to, a good size rock did the trick in the end
A few dollars spent on one of the tools for breaking auto windows would be well spent and they take almost no effort at all. Some even come with a tool for cutting seatbelt straps. No bigger than a pen for some of them and easy to store. A good tool for yourself and helping others!

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Lightflyer1 said:
A few dollars spent on one of the tools for breaking auto windows would be well spent and they take almost no effort at all. Some even come with a tool for cutting seatbelt straps. No bigger than a pen for some of them and easy to store. A good tool for yourself and helping others!
I came upon this wreck on my bicycle. In my car I have everything I need ( welding gloves, crow-bar, 20lb fire extinguisher, axe, hook-knife etc.).

mechanicalbrew

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL Manual Tranny
Two questions that haven't been covered in this thread (for which I would like to know the answer)

1) does this kill both the main lights and the little W5W bulbs below the brights?

2)If it does kill the city lights, how do you get them to stay on?

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
city lights

mechanicalbrew said:
Two questions that haven't been covered in this thread (for which I would like to know the answer)

1) does this kill both the main lights and the little W5W bulbs below the brights?

2)If it does kill the city lights, how do you get them to stay on?
The city lights are separate.

I run a Euro switch but still have the DRLs through a panel switch (in series with the Euro switch. The city lights operate normally.

The city lights are not part of the DRL system, in part because DRLs run at 80% power, and in part because the city lights are part of the running light system (taillights, side lights). The 80% means that the DRLs are powered distinctly from the headlight "on" circuit. There is no comparable city light circuit. I believe the DRLs use a relay in series with the headlight switch.

As to city lights running with headlights, DOT sometime perhaps 1967 dictated that parking lights remain on with headlights in the hope to decrease "padoodle" accidents. This may or may not work, but it's likely that all cars are wired this way internationally.

With the Euro switch, the city lights remain on with the headlights. The foglights are of course a separate circuit and the switch will not move to the "out" position when rotated to the lights "off" position.

DOT used to require that foglights not work without the headlights on. This may still be a requirement; I'm not sure. (I don't know what genius came up with that one, but my W123 came factory-wired with foglight power coming from one of the headlight connections at the fuseblock. That of course got rewired when the car was perhaps a week old.) On my W123, the switch itself can be pulled out when rotated to the "lights off" position, but there is no detent and the switch will not stay out. The foglights will of course go on when the switch is out (assuming the foglight connection is properly rewired).

Regardless, the switches are configured to require the running lights be on when the foglights are operating.

- stan
'00 Golf (Rocketchip II, 520, TT 17 wheels, Valeo E-codes 63mm TT turbo-back exhaust (w/cat), mufflerectomy.)
'81 W123 240D/300Dt 5 sp

wannawag03

TDI
'03 wagon
VW contradiction

:rolleyes: Thought it funny that VW warns us in their manual about decreased fuel efficiency regarding leaving mirror heaters on-the more elecricity you use the lower your fuel economy,yet they build in this headlights on default.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
wannawag03 said:
:rolleyes: Thought it funny that VW warns us in their manual about decreased fuel efficiency regarding leaving mirror heaters on-the more elecricity you use the lower your fuel economy,yet they build in this headlights on default.
You will have to explain this?

I don't think using battery or alternator electricity has anything to do directly with fuel economy in these vehicles.

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
aja8888 said:
You will have to explain this?

I don't think using battery or alternator electricity has anything to do directly with fuel economy in these vehicles.
Well, you believe in "free" energy then.

It indeed requires engine power to generate electricity via the alternator.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
I want to disable my DRL so I can arrive at the drive-in theatre late and not disturb everyone!

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Something that was touched on, but not elaborated, is the issue of DRLs and using fogs. In order to make a fog light do it's job, you can NOT have the DRLs on (defeats the purpose of the fog lights). What I will eventually do on our A4 Variant is move the DRL supply down to the fog lights (located in lower valance), with the Euro fog switch over-riding the DRL input (isolated with a diode). In that way, I have the required (and usually desireable) reduced load DRLs, but no interfering light when on fog position (if you don't know why that matters, then you haven't driven in heavy snow).

Shawnz

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS TDI, ex-O1M
I did mine tonight. I did a beautiful job heat-shrinking the TFL pin, plugged it in and... still had DRLs. I unplugged the connector and found the heat shrink bunched up on the harness side.

I tried a couple more times and gave up. A wide flat flate screw driver made short work of laying the TFL pin over.

No more DRLs here. To make up for it I'll get on the 5-light mod soon ;).

bakdoor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta, 2006 Jetta (gone), 1999 Jetta-blue (gone,) 1999 Jetta-green (gone)
To start off, I have an '06 Jetta that has a busted drivers side low beam. I was gonna do fogs but now I'm thinking an HID upgrade would be money better spent.

So, from reading this thread I guess I need to use VAG-COM to disable my DRLs. And if my dealer refuses to do it, what options do I have? Find someone locally that has VAG-COM and pay them to do it? Any other ideas? What about installing a Euroswitch? Does that disable the DRLs in and of itself?

I really want a set of HIDs installed, but I know the DRLs and the decreased voltage are an issue. Ideas and experience is appreciated.

Thanks!

MBoni

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
bakdoor said:
Find someone locally that has VAG-COM and pay them to do it? Any other ideas? What about installing a Euroswitch? Does that disable the DRLs in and of itself?
Yep, finding someone with vag-com is about your only option.

Installing a Euroswitch is also a good idea, but you actually have to disable DRLs (or change to Scandinavian DRL mode) before the Euroswitch works right: the parking light-only mode gets overridden by the DRL mode.

Lew

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Sportswagen
No Female connection!

On my wife's 05 Beetle, I found there is no wire connection for the TFL pin to attach to....Is there another pin that should be taped?

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
Sometimes the wire is connected to the "B" pin, not the "TFL" pin.

I think some 3B Passats were connected that way for a while.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Post quoted from the first page of this thread
burningmoney97 said:
Do not remove relay 173 to disable the DRLs! There is a lot of work involved to remove the relay, and you lose the hand brake warning light in the instrument cluster. The chances of damage to the wiring harness are also greater than if you follow the instructions below.
False, and nearly a lie. The presence of this misinformation on Fred's was brought to my attention by a poster asking on another thread why his handbrake warning lamp continues to work after he simply unplugged his DRL relay 173. Mine continues to work too.
The reason is because the warning lamp for the handbrake being engaged is a parallel connection from the handbrake switch. The hand brake switch operates two circuits, one to turn on the red alert lamp in the dash, the other to turn off the power to the coil of the DRL relay.
Unplugging and removing the complete DRL relay does nothing to the handbrake alert lamp circuit.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
On mine, I just opened up the relay and put a piece of electrical tape in between the internal moving connections. The relay is still in place for any other items that may use it, but my drl's are disabled. I like it better that way. Mostly because you don't forget to turn on your headlights at night or in the fog.

Lug_Nut said:
Post quoted from the first page of this threadFalse, and nearly a lie. The presence of this misinformation on Fred's was brought to my attention by a poster asking on another thread why his handbrake warning lamp continues to work after he simply unplugged his DRL relay 173. Mine continues to work too.
The reason is because the warning lamp for the handbrake being engaged is a parallel connection from the handbrake switch. The hand brake switch operates two circuits, one to turn on the red alert lamp in the dash, the other to turn off the power to the coil of the DRL relay.
Unplugging and removing the complete DRL relay does nothing to the handbrake alert lamp circuit.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks...this is an easy mod.

There are no more pictures in the first post. Newbies or other less mechanically inclined may benefit from pics .

To add a small note to original poster's instructions:

Once you disconnect the wires (module) from the actual switch, turn the switch around, and you will see many metal pins protruding out. Some have numbers, some have letters. Choose the pin labeled " TFL" , and either bend it 90 deg , or tape it off.

Then reconnect the wire module to the switch...and push in and turn switch counterclockwise to install.

Takes only 2 minutes for first timer....even quicker once you know how.

THANKS.

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Love this mod as it seems my jetta would go through headlight bulbs too often because they were always running with the drl's. I truly hated changing the headlight bulbs on this car! Err.

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
Personally I simply cut the wire on the back side of the switch when i replaced it with a euro switch and soldered (yes soldered) on a set of male / femal connectors so if i for some reason want to DRL's again i just pop the switch out and connect the wire.
Personally I know DRL's are supposed to be a safety thing but i think they are over rated and simply burn out headlights even faster. Its also rather annoying because it seems there are a lot of people with DRL's in poor driving conditions that now forget to turn on their headlights because they can see fine, problem is their tail lights are not on so you cant see them till you are on top of them.

riquo

TDI
1999.5 TDI GLS Jetta *retired* 2006 TDI Beetle DSG, Loaded!
Thanks for the SAVE

graeme86 said:
Sometimes the wire is connected to the "B" pin, not the "TFL" pin.

I think some 3B Passats were connected that way for a while.

Ony my wifes 06 TDI Beetle, it was def. Pin B, and the parking brake indicator still works!! Thanks, as everyone said it was the TFL pin even on newbug forums!! Hecho en Mexico, not EU version of Beetle

Cheers,

Riquo

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I forgot to add on my previous post about opening the relay up. My DRL's are disabled, but the light for my parking brake still comes on. Just in case anyone was interested.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
meetis said:
Its also rather annoying because it seems there are a lot of people with DRL's in poor driving conditions that now forget to turn on their headlights because they can see fine, problem is their tail lights are not on so you cant see them till you are on top of them.
I totally agree with this! When it's really rainy and foggy here (all the time in BC), people don't turn their lights to "on" because they are used to having day time running lights. That make is SUPER unsafe because there are no tail lights anywhere...

About this whole thread. Why are people modifying the relays when they can just pull out the switch and unplug the cable going to TFL, then zap strap it back to the bunch of wires so it's not loose in the dash? 30 seconds and much easier to "undo".

Just my $0.02,
-Chris