Syndiesel

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Anybody running the Syndiesel yet?

I have searched, but I cant come up with anything here..

Like GTL, or the Syntroleum stuff, Sounds like good stuff..

How about 63 Cetane or 20% better BTU's..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've used it at the track, blended 50/50 with regular diesel. Getting the cetane over 49 or 50 doesn't help much as the engine is designed to run on that cetane level. At a short track (Gingerman) it was good for about 2 sec. a lap. The big problem is the expense, especially shipping. Hiperfuels is in Houston, so if you're near there and can pick it up it becomes more economical.

Given its cost I'd be inclined to run 50% bio (54 cetane) to bring the numbers up in dino diesel.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Yeah if I was in and around Houston I'd be all over that! Best I remember, the cost isn't much more than regular D2 if you buy a drum and don't have to ship it.

Mach1

TDI
You can get a good deal from HIPERfuels in Houston, especially if you pick it up your self..

IBW, did you drive around town with it, what did you notice, like smoothness, LESS FUEL Injector Noise? Better throttle response?

How about running it regularly, because of the lack of lubricates?

I like everything I am reading about it so far..

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Cost is aroung 7.00 a gallon. I was the second fastest TDI (documented) at the 2002 Fest. Nice fuel cost prohibitive..

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It didn't seem much different driving around normally. In fact, I didn't feel a big difference on the track, but the stopwatch told the story. When I was running it I was able to stay pretty close to dbLog's Golf when he has a VNT-20 and I was running a stock car except for a chip. But seat-of-the-pants didn't seem much different. I always use a lubricity additive and was only blending it 50%, so I wasn't worried about lack of lubricity.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I went to their website and if you buy the drum it comes out to less than $4.10 per gallon. That's not much more than pump prices. Could you imagine if they made this everywhere? Does syndiesel already have lubricity requirements met? Are there any evaportive losses if it were bought and stored? What is the "storage life?" Does it attract water like D2? :D

Mach1

TDI
Dh, Self life is 10 years..Minimum evaporation, 20% more BTU's, 63 cetane( I have seen over 70 cetane on other Syn diesel)
No SULFUR..

Smells sweet, pleasent smell.

Very smooth, Quiets engine noise.

The engine is much smoother...

I am listening for/watching the idle stumble and there is minimum idle stumble/miss.

The engine just runs good on it..even lugging it has minimumized the groans for it.

You can get it for less then that price as well..Less then $4 gallon if you pick it up yourself.

I need to do just a little more testing for fuel economy now.

Mach1

TDI
Dh, you can get a drum shipped to your front door, but I dont think you could get it for that price.

Mach1

TDI
Dh, make a trip to Okla, they manufacture it there. Buy a years supply of fuel, all at once, I bet you could get a smoking deal...

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of it's hydrocracked natural gas isn't it? Mach1, if I had the time and money it would probably be worth it. If you could get it in sealed drums (which I am sure you do), then getting a ton and storing it would be a very ideal situation.

Mach1

TDI
It can be produced from GTL (gas to liquid), or it can be super refined olifin, or produced from biomass as well.

DH, It has a shelf life of 10 YEARS..So you can buy a years worth and store it..

I went the BIO route and that is not worth it, so I can get the Syn for less and it does more, alot more...63 Cetane, 20% more BTU content..Less pollution. JUMPS Higher, runs faster..

DH, One more thing..get this I think I am on to something, but I was trying to see how it affected the way the car ran..Remember the idle stumble/EGR miss/Lean burn condition at idle(this is what I suggested)..I could swear I dont feel it anymore, I wasn't going to bring it out yet, cause I wanted to make sure..So this morning i fill back up with #2 and the stumble is back.

I am going to cut the #2 with Syn again and see if it goes away, I am trying to make sure its really gone, because right now the weather is so up/dn..80 to 20's..I want to make sure the weather is not smoothing the idle.

I was also in the middle of fuel economy testing and was waiting to make it public. I cant see how a fuel with 20% more BTU's cant get better fuel economy, But I want to see the effects first hand.

I will be Very happy if the Crumey #2 is causing the idle stumble..It could very well be because of the Cetane rating and the computer calibration wanting to see quality fuel..That would be a significant discovery..I have always had my theories about this..We were kicking it around a couple weeks ago..

Well back to the drawing board..

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
dhdenney said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of it's hydrocracked natural gas isn't it?
You are wrong, it is not hydrocracked. It is made from natural gas most often, but hydrocrack is the wrong term for how they make it.

They can also make it from coal, or any biomass, but that is not common.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hank miller said:
You are wrong, it is not hydrocracked. It is made from natural gas most often, but hydrocrack is the wrong term for how they make it.

They can also make it from coal, or any biomass, but that is not common.
Thank you for the correction but you did not cite the correct term that should be used.

retmil46

TDI
'05 Jeep Liberty CRD, 87 MB 300D Turbo
Any Results MPG?

Mach1, any further results to report, especially regarding MPG?

As far as blending it with #2 diesel, is there a minimum blend ratio you need to be above to get any benefit from the syndiesel?

I'm looking at getting a 15 gallon container to experiment with on my '87 MB 300D and '05 Jeep Liberty CRD.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
For giggles, I checked shipping prices for 55 gallons.

I have access to a dock/equipment. $7.25 shipped to the DC Brubs...
That brings the total price to $4.20/gallon

We're pretty damn close to that right now.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Variant TDI said:

Hmmm.... /me looks at the $4.08/gal price for regular D2 vs. the price of the good stuff.

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
I want more info on this, as I vaguely heard a reference to it on Tee-Vee last night, and my knowledge is roughly 12 hours old. :)

Is there long term data available to show it's safe? Any Downsides?

Wouldn't 20% more BTUs translate almost directly into better economy? Any current users with hard data?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Variant TDI said:
I want more info on this, as I vaguely heard a reference to it on Tee-Vee last night, and my knowledge is roughly 12 hours old. :)

Is there long term data available to show it's safe? Any Downsides?

Wouldn't 20% more BTUs translate almost directly into better economy? Any current users with hard data?

First they build a "GTL" plant using existing Natural gas and coal reformers. Then the "BIOMASS" can be added later to replace the Natural gas and coal reformers. The energy from the Biomass produces 100% of the energy to drive the entire proces. Conversion ratios are currently up around 60% (60% of the input comes out as spec'd fuel) the other 40% (eventually less as efficiency improves and scale increases) is used to power the system. The key is the system does NOT utilize ANY FOOD PRODUCTS nor will it compete with the food supply like "biodiesel" does. The system also produces any fraction of fuel oil, kerosene (Bio-JetA), heavy fuel oil, lubricating oils etc.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Synthetic_Biofuels.pdf
DB

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Variant TDI said:

Where did you get this quote?

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did in fact look at it later and filled out the whole form for shipping charges and it did kick out a ridiculously low shipping quote. I just get the feeling that it's incorrect. I may call Monday and see.

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
dhdenney said:
I did in fact look at it later and filled out the whole form for shipping charges and it did kick out a ridiculously low shipping quote. I just get the feeling that it's incorrect. I may call Monday and see.
dh,

what was your quote, please?