CR140 Stage 3

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Relax, I'm the one sacrificing my dsg clutches to learn exactly what their limits are. And I found it. Lol. CR170 turbo with agressive low end fuelling made it happen.

bergman69

TDI
2009 CR140 JSW Stage 3~
I guess I have a clutch to look forward too, too..

I have a 2010 JSW CR140. The DPF was causing a engine light, so I figured I would just delete it. While there, add a Rawtek complete exhaust, and a stage 2 Malone tuning. (with DSG :/)
I loved it. Sounded great, snapped my head back in the seat. Too much fun. I blew my poor old turbo at about 105K.
Stumbled upon you guys, after being pointed in the right direction by Mark Malone.
not one to avoid adding some ethanol to my lemonade, I am biting the bullet and going Stage 3, CR170, and trying to do it for a few dollars less than Darkside. "trying." I hope, jury still out there..
bought a 03L253016G turbo from an eBay merchant in Germany new for 808 Euros (1200 USD) including shipping. It took about 2 weeks. www.ebay.com/itm/231101424233
Here it is side by side with the old one. I had an extra port on the old CR140 turbo that went into the block. I had to fab a block off plate for that, about the same size as the EGR on the manifold. the specs on the spacer were also different for me. But we got it done.

I bought the coupling 3C0-129-635 for $35.00 from Volkswagen Parts 2Gohttp://www.vwparts2go.com/oem-part/volkswagen/jetta/2013/s/2-0l-l4-gas/engine/air-intake/adapter/3c0129635
I found a used intake hose 3C0129654AJ for 50 eu including shipping from a eBay merchant in the UK.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360498087686

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We'll probably have these turbos next week. Retail will be close to German price, with free shipping.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Will someone hurry up and put one on a car with the dpf? I want to see a clean 170whp :D I am suspecting this can be done with little / no consequence to emissions output or dpf life if done right.

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
****ing snow, polar vortexes, and lack of a garage! I want mine in!

Clearly its bothering me that other people are getting theirs and getting them installed and mine has been sitting on my bedroom floor since October :(

The box is mocking me every night I go to bed.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
I have a 2010 JSW CR140. The DPF was causing a engine light, so I figured I would just delete it. While there, add a Rawtek complete exhaust, and a stage 2 Malone tuning. (with DSG :/)
I loved it. Sounded great, snapped my head back in the seat. Too much fun. I blew my poor old turbo at about 105K.
Stumbled upon you guys, after being pointed in the right direction by Mark Malone.
not one to avoid adding some ethanol to my lemonade, I am biting the bullet and going Stage 3, CR170, and trying to do it for a few dollars less than Darkside. "trying." I hope, jury still out there..
bought a 03L253016G turbo from an eBay merchant in Germany new for 808 Euros (1200 USD) including shipping. It took about 2 weeks. www.ebay.com/itm/231101424233
Here it is side by side with the old one. I had an extra port on the old CR140 turbo that went into the block. I had to fab a block off plate for that, about the same size as the EGR on the manifold. the specs on the spacer were also different for me. But we got it done.

I bought the coupling 3C0-129-635 for $35.00 from Volkswagen Parts 2Gohttp://www.vwparts2go.com/oem-part/...0l-l4-gas/engine/air-intake/adapter/3c0129635
I found a used intake hose 3C0129654AJ for 50 eu including shipping from a eBay merchant in the UK.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/360498087686
You paid $1200 for that turbo, you got ripped off. There around $400 used...for that price I would have went to a much bigger unit...

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
Well my bonus check is enough to cover one of those. But probably not the labor though haha.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Well my bonus check is enough to cover one of those. But probably not the labor though haha.
:D Knowing you, you'll want to upgrade the exhaust while you're at it which would combine labor to lower the price of both installs anyway. C'mon man, you know you want it! :D

bergman69

TDI
2009 CR140 JSW Stage 3~
I didnt see a new OEM cr170 any cheaper. but I am sure it can be found. I looked at some larger turbos too, but none seemed anywhere as easy as the cr170 to install without major mods, other than Darkside, and I think I saved myself a few $$ over them. so far. we shall see.. there are more than few shop hours left in the build and I still need to do the VCDS logs and retune the ECU, and perhaps the DSG.. But so far I am very happy. I am being pushed back into me seat with great joy and satisfaction everytime I hit the accelerator!

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
$1200 a rip-off for a new OEM VW turbo? I don't think so.
Got Mine used for $400 shipped, 20k miles, $1200 new, but why, for that price go bigger...That's my point...and I left my DPF intact...

Last edited:

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Will someone hurry up and put one on a car with the dpf? I want to see a clean 170whp :D I am suspecting this can be done with little / no consequence to emissions output or dpf life if done right.
Already did, I left the DPF intact...:cool: all the Cup Edition race cars have theirs left on also...

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
anyone have an idea of what it would cost to merge the stocker and this turbo such that it is a true 100% bolt in replacement? And who that might be to do the work? Us poor suckers in CA are stuck with having to have every emission piece in place and functional. (IIRC, this turbo is not truely a 100% drop in to replace the stocker).

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I didnt see a new OEM cr170 any cheaper. but I am sure it can be found. I looked at some larger turbos too, but none seemed anywhere as easy as the cr170 to install without major mods, other than Darkside, and I think I saved myself a few $$ over them. so far. we shall see.. there are more than few shop hours left in the build and I still need to do the VCDS logs and retune the ECU, and perhaps the DSG.. But so far I am very happy. I am being pushed back into me seat with great joy and satisfaction everytime I hit the accelerator!
Sounds Awesome, sweet ride...

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone have an idea of what it would cost to merge the stocker and this turbo such that it is a true 100% bolt in replacement? And who that might be to do the work? Us poor suckers in CA are stuck with having to have every emission piece in place and functional. (IIRC, this turbo is not truely a 100% drop in to replace the stocker).
You should be able to have the housings of the stock turbo machined to fit the center section of the CR170 turbo into it, this would give you what is essentially a CR170 turbo but with the EGR ports in the right area to maintain the US emissions equipment.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
You should be able to have the housings of the stock turbo machined to fit the center section of the CR170 turbo into it, this would give you what is essentially a CR170 turbo but with the EGR ports in the right area to maintain the US emissions equipment.
Yes but who does this and roughly whats thee cost? If there were a drop in version like say the frankenturbo line for the 1.8t motor

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes but who does this and roughly whats thee cost? If there were a drop in version like say the frankenturbo line for the 1.8t motor
Any qualified turbo rebuilder with a machine shop should be able to... I've only ever had one turbo rebuilt by a company and it was through Majestic Turbo in TX... you might want to shoot them an email.

My guess would be a few hundred bucks if you have the CR170 center section in good condition already. The only issue is modifying the exhaust side housing, if it needs to be, since its part of the exhaust manifold. No idea how to run that through a lathe.

Another method, I suppose, would be to hack off the EGR connection from the CR140 turbo and weld it onto the CR170 manifold in the correct location and block off the extra EGR port. You would need to verify the extra port wont get in the way of the DPF though.

I had my CR170 modified with a larger compressor and supposedly turbine (I cant verify what turbine was used though) and rebuilt, the modifications and rebuild cost £700 through a friend in England, but that was both parts and labor.

Last edited:

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
Any qualified turbo rebuilder with a machine shop should be able to... I've only ever had one turbo rebuilt by a company and it was through Majestic Turbo in TX... you might want to shoot them an email.

My guess would be a few hundred bucks if you have the CR170 center section in good condition already. The only issue is modifying the exhaust side housing, if it needs to be, since its part of the exhaust manifold. No idea how to run that through a lathe.

Another method, I suppose, would be to hack off the EGR connection from the CR140 turbo and weld it onto the CR170 manifold in the correct location and block off the extra EGR port. You would need to verify the extra port wont get in the way of the DPF though.

I had my CR170 modified with a larger compressor and supposedly turbine (I cant verify what turbine was used though) and rebuilt, the modifications and rebuild cost £700 through a friend in England, but that was both parts and labor.
I've heard of Majestic before with positive comments. Maybe thats the way to go (bold), there's a shop up in the foothills nearby that I'll check into and see what they say. Thanks for the input!!

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Steve,

Please post what you find as I'm interested in these upgrades also!

Bob

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Is this a direct replacement of the OEM turbo? Or does it have extra ummph
That is the cr170 turbo, it is a direct drop in with full exhaust and deleted egr and dpf, I have it, you can get them used for around $400, or new I believe is $1100...Plus $1000 in exhaust, about $600 in labor, so for a full system with tune, $600 bucks, which you have to do also, your right at about $3000 dollors for say 30hp...:eek: I built my own exhaust did all the install myself, with tune and turbo I'm in at $1000 dollars...