Liqui-Moly 4200 5W30

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's a good oil. Probably some group III in there, but that doesn't really matter for our purposes.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
According to this , is not a full synthetic , at least as i do understand it .
Open at
safety data sheets & product information

and go to

product information

and you'll see the specs . Only bad as i see is the TBN which is only 6,5 . Low TBN for my taste ....

Edit : "...The combination of unconventional
base oils using HC synthetic technology, together with
the latest additives, ..."

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I used to obsess over finding oils that were full synthetic, but since the 505.01 spec they seem to be less common, not more. I wonder if any 507.00 oils have all synthetic base stock.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
..... I wonder if any 507.00 oils have all synthetic base stock.
Nope ,i didn't find any 507 spec that is pure synthetic so long but can't say for sure that is not exist .My opinion is stay away from any 507+ spec ,i not use it at my car even is a '13 tdi with DPF and i am very happy with that . Newer specs are only for fuel consumption because are thinner and obviously this help . BUT this is not help engine health . At my case i prefer change a DPF earlier , at 200k km for ex. than having engine issues . A DPF costs like 1-2k for me , and engine costs double+ money w/o count the oil "normal" consumption due to thinner oils . No thanks, i "don't buy " it...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
There are more productive things to do with one's time than obsess over motor oil. Any of the 507 oils are perfectly satisfactory . The worlds highest mileage car (volvo p1800) hasn't seen a drop of "pure synthetic" afaik, and is still motoring along.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
Anyways,i noticed that even the oils are much better w/o doubt now-days than back then when volvo is produced ,he still change oils at 3.5k miles no matter what...
He says he follows the manual, and on a 1966 car, the manual probably said that. My 1967 Opel Kadett said 3K, and that's what I did. This says nothing about the quality of engine manufacture and lubricants 50 years later. The manual for our 2013 Passat TDI says 10K changes and that's what I do. And UOAs (Used Oil Analysis, the only objective measure of what the oil is doing in a car), both in this forum and on BITOG (Bob Is the Oil Guy) say that the oil is still doing its job after that many miles.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
Indeed, recommendations are for a reason and for sure manual knows what it says ,but this is valid only when oils are similar quality (then-oil and now-oil) . The package of oil back then have nothing to do with the "same" oil today .That s the reason that oils back then can t compete at mileage the today oils .Never saw an '60s car to keep at its youth 20k miles oil because the oil itself couldn't last that much at '60s .
That means two things in my mind :
A) He not know what is doing by changing at 3.5k an oil that can last 10k miles (not even close the package of additives in the oil that manufacturer recommend back then when car was made versus the oil today ).
B) He knows exactly what is he doing ...
I agree for there is no need for hocus pocus oils in a car . Maybe (a careful "maybe") occasionally need to clean motor from inside but not at every oil change of course .

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Nope ,i didn't find any 507 spec that is pure synthetic so long but can't say for sure that is not exist .My opinion is stay away from any 507+ spec ,i not use it at my car even is a '13 tdi with DPF and i am very happy with that . Newer specs are only for fuel consumption because are thinner and obviously this help . BUT this is not help engine health . At my case i prefer change a DPF earlier , at 200k km for ex. than having engine issues . A DPF costs like 1-2k for me , and engine costs double+ money w/o count the oil "normal" consumption due to thinner oils . No thanks, i "don't buy " it...
I have been using this oil. The manufacturer claims full sythetic made in Germany
http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
According to this , is not a full synthetic , at least as i do understand it .
Open at
safety data sheets & product information

and go to

product information

and you'll see the specs . Only bad as i see is the TBN which is only 6,5 . Low TBN for my taste ....

Edit : "...The combination of unconventional
base oils using HC synthetic technology, together with
the latest additives, ..."
TBN of only 6.5 is typical of 504/507 oils. It will be difficult to find, if they even make it, a 504/507 oil that has the TBN of a 502/505 oil

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
I have been using this oil. The manufacturer claims full sythetic made in Germany
http://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-vmp-sae-5w-30.html
According to that site it have mineral oils in ...

https://elit-oil.io.ua/s944902/dokumentaciya_-_msds

Just scroll little down and you ll see the msds as pdf . Go to section 3.2 Mixtures .....
" The base oil/mineral oil has a value of less than 3% DMSO .. etc etc " .Not full synthetic base oil as it claims as i see .

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
TBN of only 6.5 is typical of 504/507 oils. It will be difficult to find, if they even make it, a 504/507 oil that has the TBN of a 502/505 oil
That's why i am against 507 spec ,is not helping engine and i am (among others too.. ) live example that dpf is not destroyed with use of a non-507 oil....