Gearshift Squeak

spinfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2003 Golf GLS Indigo Blue (totaled at 193k miles)
When I move the gearshift on our 03 Golf TDI (123k miles now) there is a slight squeak - I think it started this winter. It is clearly audible from inside the car.

Is there a part of the linkage which I can lubricate somehow to eliminate this squeak? It isn't very loud. It is annoying and should probably be fixed regardless. What can it be lubricated with?

My searches found a lot of squeaks, but mostly clutch or front end noises. This happens when moving the stick, not when engaging the gear.

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I had this same issue with my 2001. When I was up at JasonTDI's having my timing belt changed, I mentioned this to him. He got a can of dry lubricant and sprayed the area of the shift linkage under the hood. All noise gone. Kudo's to Jason!! He is absolutely outstanding!!

LoveMyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDi
yes I had the smae issue on my 05 golf. I just sprayed some silicone lubricant on little "ball" looking things were the shift linkage attaches to the transmission.

spinfire

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, my squeak is definitely coming from inside, directly under the gearshift. I did try lubricating the linkage near the transmission, but the noise remains.

Is it easy to gain access to under the shift boot?

spinfire

Veteran Member
TDI
I took the shift boot off and checked out underneath. It sounds like the squeaking is coming from the ball-in-socket contraption at the base of the stick.

Suppose it is safe to lubricate this with some basic grease from Autozone? Or any alternate suggestion?

spinfire

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, white lithium is usually my "go to" lubricant (not in the bedroom! :eek:). I also have some general purpose grease (for wheel bearings, etc) from "Coastal" which I could glop in there.

I'll try the white lithium first.