New TOP TIER diesel fuel branding coming out

czeetah

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 6MT / Opera Red
http://www.toptiergas.com/why/

So as you all know their is has for a while been a top tier marketing and standard for gas. Gas must meet a higher standard for improved deposit control, cleaning ability, chain of delivery, etc.

There is a new TopTier certification for Diesel that's rolling out and right now only a few brands are going for it. But I imagine we'll see more.

"TOP TIER™ Diesel Performance Standard requires detergents to reduce deposits on the fuel injectors (both internal and external), improve lubricity (less wear on injectors and in the engine), improve fuel stability (less deposits in the fuel system components), and provide more protection against water and particulates that may be in the fuel before you dispense it into your vehicle or equipment"

Note the improved lubricity line.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Doesn't it seem odd to you that in order to obtain a "top tier" designation suppliers have to pay the company a significant amount of money?

Seems like a marketing joke to me.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Doesn't it seem odd to you that in order to obtain a "top tier" designation suppliers have to pay the company a significant amount of money?

Seems like a marketing joke to me.
Marketing joke or not they still have to qualify their fuel to the said specs.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Marketing joke or not they still have to qualify their fuel to the said specs.
Not hard to do, they just specify the blend at the refinery and additives at the terminal. They also have to meet ASTM, federal and local (regional) specifications for various compounds. It's like baking a cake.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
The other thing is that they still have to meet the federal minimum cetane level (40) - except for California (53) - I was really hoping that they would have a minimum cetane level with their specification. :(

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Not hard to do, they just specify the blend at the refinery and additives at the terminal. They also have to meet ASTM, federal and local (regional) specifications for various compounds. It's like baking a cake.
I did not say it was hard to do. Now at least in order to qualify they have to do it. It seems like many here love to complain about North American fuel quality......this may be a big step in a good direction. I know Iknow....some will still complain about low cetane. As I just said I think it is a step in the right direction. The aftermarket fuel additive people might not like it. So be it.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I did not say it was hard to do. Now at least in order to qualify they have to do it. It seems like many here love to complain about North American fuel quality......this may be a big step in a good direction. I know Iknow....some will still complain about low cetane. As I just said I think it is a step in the right direction. The aftermarket fuel additive people might not like it. So be it.
Yeah, its a good step in the right direction from a PR standpoint. There's generally not much *****ing about gasoline since low grade can run in almost anything without real harm. Diesel gets the bad rap due to gelling and pumps blowing up.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yeah, its a good step in the right direction from a PR standpoint. There's generally not much *****ing about gasoline since low grade can run in almost anything without real harm. Diesel gets the bad rap due to gelling and pumps blowing up.
Well, PR aside my fuel supplier Flint Hills Resources A.K.A. KwikTrip/ Fleet Farm/Costco/Tri-Par, and many other independents have already had their pumps marked winterized for at least 3 weeks here. There should be no gelling issues. And if the Top Tier standard for lubricity is maintained the only reason fuel pumps blow up is as we all know. POOR DESIGN in the first place. Cetane additives never made my TDI's (2009/2010 JSW and my current Passat) run any better or start any faster when cold that I could tell.

Last edited:

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
When I was driving in Germany a few months ago, they had two grades of diesel at their petro station. It would be nice to see an option for better cetane levels here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not likely now in my opinion. Truckers and other commercial vehicles want no part of an increase in price. Auto diesel is all but dead now and I think that would be the primary market for such a fuel.

RGreene75

TDI
2006 dsg 2011 dsg
Hello I'm new to forum. I live in West Michigan and I was wondering if anyone knew which fuel stations have the highest cetane levels in this area. Speedway says 40 and I'm still researching for the highest..thanks for the help in advance.
2006 jetta 385000
2011 jetta wagon 216000

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
There are some Admiral stations around that sell Premium diesel. Instead of worrying about cetane levels I mostly just stick to stations with a high turnover rate. My car has had a lot of Speedway in it over the years because that is what is available locally for me. 365k miles on the original IP with additives only added when it gets below 0F for extended periods.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Hello I'm new to forum. I live in West Michigan and I was wondering if anyone knew which fuel stations have the highest cetane levels in this area. Speedway says 40 and I'm still researching for the highest..thanks for the help in advance.
2006 jetta 385000
2011 jetta wagon 216000
I am from eastern Wisconsin. I use Cenex Roadmaster in my 2015 TDI. This diesel fuel has a typical cetane number of 48. It also has a higher than US average lubricity value.

Note most Cenex cooperatives do not sell the Roadmaster diesel - you have to find one that does. Of all the Cenex locations in my area, I was only able to find a single Cenex cooperative that actually sells the Roadmaster fuel.

On a side-note, the European (EN 590 standard) road diesel has a minimum cetane number of 51.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Very few places will commit to anything other than the mandated 40 cetane, no matter what it actually is. Concentrate on finding a high turn over place as stated above. If cetane is that important to you, use an additive. The cars run fine on whatever comes out of the pump, no matter what the European spec is. To me lubricity is more important and I find a high turn over location that has some bio component to it. The Murphy's near me has been my choice for years now with no issues.