I'm an idiot. Help

bshieldsKC

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 85,000k
I am in the process of changing my oil, and as I'm under the car I can't get the oil plug off. I continue to second guess myself on which way I need to be turning it to get it off. Also, I'm not sure I have the exact size or bit on the wrench. I can't believe I'm asking these two question on here. Someone put me out of my mysery please. Thanks

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Did you remove the plastic cover underneath? Are you sure you are pulling the engine drainplug and not the transmission drainplug? The Engine drainplug requires removal of the plastic cover underneath and is located towards the side of the car that the fuel filler is on. I don't recall what size it is though, so I'm not much help at all, am I?

I think I'll go back to my yardwork now...

wmahaffey

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I do not know the size of the plug. I have not changed my oil yet. A easy way to remember tight and loose for right hand threads, most things are right hand threads.
"Righty tighty, Lefty Loosey".

Looking at the head of the bolt or nut, clockwise tightens the bolt/nut, counter clockwise (anti-clockwise) loosens the bolt/nut. Please do not hdsitage to ask any question. The only stupid question is one that is not asked.

Have a wonderful day,
Bill
Bill

bshieldsKC

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 85,000k
Thank you

Thanks everyone, I was turning it the right way, and even afte I went and purchased the 19mm, it took a good couple pushes to get it to budge. Thanks