CJAA DPF Compatibility - looking for replacement

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Hi guys,
I still have my 2011 TDI, and believe I've fallen victim to the seemingly common DPF cracking issue. Twice, I had the code for low-flow through EGR filter, and my tail pipe has some soot on the bottom. The code went away on its own, but the soot bothers me; I don't believe I ever saw it there when I first got it.

My car does Regens about every 200mi now, and at 120k miles, it's about due for a DPF cleaning. I was going to cut it open and clean it myself, but now that I suspect it's cracked, I should probably just replace it. I don't have the money to buy a new one for $1200, so I was browsing eBay. All I see there are DPFs for Golfs, but I'm not sure they're compatible. Some say they are, others say they're not.

So I'm hoping you guys can pass the verdict as I'd hate to have to return a DPF to Europe, which is the only place they seem available:

1. Are the DPFs compatible directly (will a Golf filter just bolt up)?
2. If not, can I cut the Golf DPF open and insert it into the Jetta's DPF housing?
3. If still no, can I cut the DPF out of the Golf and weld it onto the Jetta's piping?

I'm determined to keep the DPF and hope one of you knows enough about them to help my conundrum.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
you will not get the right part from europe for a north american car. different systems.

any 2.0 liter TDI DPFs from 2011 to 2014 should be fine.

there is no reason to cut or weld on the system.

What are your plans related to the emissions fix?

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Hi guys,
I still have my 2011 TDI, and believe I've fallen victim to the seemingly common DPF cracking issue. Twice, I had the code for low-flow through EGR filter, and my tail pipe has some soot on the bottom. The code went away on its own, but the soot bothers me; I don't believe I ever saw it there when I first got it.

My car does Regens about every 200mi now, and at 120k miles, it's about due for a DPF cleaning. I was going to cut it open and clean it myself, but now that I suspect it's cracked, I should probably just replace it. I don't have the money to buy a new one for $1200, so I was browsing eBay. All I see there are DPFs for Golfs, but I'm not sure they're compatible. Some say they are, others say they're not.

So I'm hoping you guys can pass the verdict as I'd hate to have to return a DPF to Europe, which is the only place they seem available:

1. Are the DPFs compatible directly (will a Golf filter just bolt up)?
2. If not, can I cut the Golf DPF open and insert it into the Jetta's DPF housing?
3. If still no, can I cut the DPF out of the Golf and weld it onto the Jetta's piping?

I'm determined to keep the DPF and hope one of you knows enough about them to help my conundrum.
I'll have one off of a jetta 2014 probably this weekend.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Well, I'm not sure if I want to get it fixed as I do a lot of towing with the car, and the fix might hinder that. No-one's come knocking to make me either since it's on the salvage list. Essentially, this car is my light-duty 40mpg SUV. It's towed everything from gravel to my little seadoo boat. Can't be happier with the utility of the car. I used to joke that it's like life with a cheat code, but I guess there really was some cheating involved :p

Reason I was talking about welding is you have to cut the DPF apart to clean it properly. It's commonly done on the big-rigs and can be done on our cars, though it's much more challenging.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Well, I'm not sure if I want to get it fixed as I do a lot of towing with the car, and the fix might hinder that. No-one's come knocking to make me either since it's on the salvage list. Essentially, this car is my light-duty 40mpg SUV. It's towed everything from gravel to my little seadoo boat. Can't be happier with the utility of the car. I used to joke that it's like life with a cheat code, but I guess there really was some cheating involved :p

Reason I was talking about welding is you have to cut the DPF apart to clean it properly. It's commonly done on the big-rigs and can be done on our cars, though it's much more challenging.
There is no evidence that the fix has substantially hindered performance in any of the cars. I can say, having done more than 18,000 miles on the phase 1 fix, that the car is by every measure the same except it uses more DEF. Get the fix, get the cash, get a free DPF, and then throw a tune on it. Salvage or not, VW must offer to "fix" it or buyback.

Edit: I see you're in an 11' without SCR, but my sentiments still stand. Get the fix, then they'll honor the extended warranty. There's nothing they will do that can't be cheaply reversed... then you won't have a hacked in DPF in the end.

Last edited:

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
I believe the extended warranty was for cars with no more than 120k miles, no? Also, mine doesn't have DEF, and I'm not so stoked to lose my spare tire. Would it just be a software tune, or would they install DEF as part of the fix. Would they give me a new DPF despite my mileage?

Last edited:

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
Gen 1 Jettas with manual trans are covered to 126k, so yes, you would get a brand new DPF installed on VWs dime:

Manual trans: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...ents/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-MAN-v4.pdf

Automatics are only 120k: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...ents/emissions/VW_BOOKLET_2L-Gen-1-AUT-v4.pdf

Hopefully you have a manual trans, if so I just saved you north of 5 grand, you're welcome. According to the Settlement Benefits Chart, you would receive a minimum of $5,192 cash if you opt for the fix. Even if you don't get a free DPF due to mileage, they still owe you the cash settlement. Pay for your new DPF with that. Look into it dude. As far as what the actual fix entails, first phase is an ECU flash that likely changes the duty cycle of things like the EGR and injection strategy. The second phase is hardware and according to the documentation, they will just be replacing the NOx catalyst. No SCR will be installed on Gen 1 cars.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The extended warranty is whichever is longer, 10 years/120,000 from original delivery date or 4years/48,000 (auto) or 4.5 years/54,000 miles (manual).

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
But mine has a Salvage title, I don't think they're obligated to do anything for those, are they? Also, I thought the buy-back/cash was for cars purchased on or before some date in 2015. I got mine in 2016.

16vjohn

TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
But mine has a Salvage title, I don't think they're obligated to do anything for those, are they? Also, I thought the buy-back/cash was for cars purchased on or before some date in 2015. I got mine in 2016.
If a car is to remain in the road, they are required by court order to repair it. Research it.