RE: Won 2000 golf tdi from copart

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
RE: Won 2000 golf tdi from copart

These things are addictive...lol. Bought this on a whim. I"ll have approximately 2k in it with shipping costs. No run and drive verfication. Has a bad passenger front fender. Engine problem unknown. At 162k plus I am guessing that perhaps it threw a timing belt. I have another serviceable had from my Dad's old engine. No biggie.

Just hoping the block is good. I can get a painted bumper from Ebay for like $200.00. I have a mirror and radio from another parts car.

If its too far gone at least I'll have a long block and the accessories. Hopefully.

https://www.salvageautosauction.com...LF+GL+TD-for-Sale/lot-17794932/Leroy-New-York

Took a chance, hopefully it won't come back and bite me!
Now we still have to get my dad's 04 passat diesel running. LOL

rhinotalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta tdi
You go through a broker, like salvage autos auction. Buyer fees..they add up. FAST! They took their time telling me too. Monday auction and like after 10 pm EST on Tuesday I get the email I won.

I had a NYS regents to admin and then grade and then a Union meeting and when I get to the bank tomorrow afternoon they won't get it till friday. SO I HAVE TO PAY A 50 Late FEE! Really...Thanks alot.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
They all nickle and dime you to death.

Some even charge to bring the car to their gate for you to pick up!

They like you because you sat at home and bid and they are making money the whole way to your house to deliver it.

They make a killing on the foreigners. Often 1 week grace to pay/pickup the car. After that usually something like 30 bucks/day storage.

A lot of foriegners pay big bucks, then arrange containers and towing. Often letting many cars set for weeks until the transportation to the containers and the containers themselves are arranged.

When I used to do this a lot I'd swear they were using the cars to get drugs outta the country or something. They someitmes would almost pay retail for a totalled car. Then you need to add the auction fees, all their other fees, and transport to container, container, boat, etc.

Seriousely.

Only legit thing may be they are in countries it's hard to get US Spec cars in.

A few years ago I sold 2 VW's at a local dealer auction and the Russians bought them both.

82racin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I've spent countless hours looking through these salvage auction sites. But was always to scared to actually buy one. After adding up all the fees it just didn't seem worth it to me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
OP, Cross your fingers, hope it goes well. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

And I'm glad you're expecting problems. Expect the worst, hope for the best.

That place, usually if it's an easy fix, especially a stick shift TDI, they tend to go for WAY too much. Then again, this is the Seattle area market I'm talking about so.....

Ah good ol' Copart. The kings of bull$hit fees.

6/11/12 SALE PRICE $1,100.00
6/11/12 BUYER FEE 175.00
6/11/12 VIRTUAL BID FEE 50.00
6/12/12 GATE 30.00

Yeah Virtual bid fee? Um, you don't have a live auction anymore.

Gate fee? Let me go get it. Nope can't do that. We must molest the bottom of your car with our fork lifts. Rip out wires, pinch fuel lines, bend rear control arms, exhaust, bash up your front / rear bumpers etc. After all , it is a salvage auction so why should we give a crap about your car?

This is an actual example of a car I bought 2 days ago.

They're the biggest rip off's I can't stand em' but really have no choice.

Oh and that's JUST the buyer fees. Yep the seller pays a bunch too.

Ok rant over. :) You can see how much I love those guys.

Last edited:

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
FYI IAAI(sp?) is about hte same.

Salvagedirect is a little less, but aspire to be like hte others.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
There was an nice 05 manual jetta wagon on copart the other day that was a non-runner. Body looked decent. Was really considering that one but never went through with it.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
Wow. I'm surprised you did this after the nightmare Passat BHW from copart. I hope this one works out better than that one.

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Yeah I was going to say, if you're into it <$2k you can always break even with parting it out worst case scenario.