High mileage pump duse problems

mattn_85

TDI
MK4 Jetta
Hello all,

I am an old member of this forum and currently own a 2003 Jetta TDI. I am planning on being in the market for a new car soon and have my eye on a 2006 Jetta TDI with the pump duse engine. The only thing is that it has 209,000 KMs on it.

I am wondering if there are any problems that I should be looking for, or if I should just stay away from it.

Here is the link
http://www.frederictonvw.ca/PreOwned/PreOwnedVehicle.aspx?lng=2&id=22f96821-9f50-4884-8b83-9d07002eb235

I have tried searching but didn't find much on this subject.

Matt

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The major problem with these cars is the POS dual mass flywheel and premature cam wear. If it idles smoothly and has good power, most likely the cam is O.K. If the DMF is on it's way out, there will be vibration and noises from the drive-train.

209K is certainly a lot of KMs so chance are the problems I described have already been addressed.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I lost my faith in these engines. Between a relative and us, we had 4 PD vehicles. We now have zero. My wifes 05 passat had to have a remanufatured engine installed at about 49000 (warranty than god) but, it did some funky thinks after that. Brother in laws A5 had electrical problems and cam probles. Can replaced under extended warranty at about 60000 miles. I lost my faith in VW diesel product. Sorry, I know that this statement won't be popular here. Loved the A5, it was comfortable, handled well. The DSG trans on mine was great and serviced as called for. But, like I said, the PD engine scares the crap outta me.

madhun

TDI
2006 2.0 Tdi DSG Golf Comfortline, 2012 2.0 Tdi Golf Comfortline
Mine (2006 2.0 Tdi Golf) has 220k's on it and short of minor servicing issues have never had a problem with it. Had a suspected DSG issue that turned out to be a plug on the injector loom.

digorius

TDI
2004 Jetta
I have an 04 PD with 328000 kms on it. I replaced the DMF setup with a V6 SMF at around 250000. I have had the cam checked a couple of times and all seems well. I have used a zinc additive since around 180000 kms to help. I have had a few probs with the car but overall it has been a good car.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I have an 04 PD with 328000 kms on it. I replaced the DMF setup with a V6 SMF at around 250000. I have had the cam checked a couple of times and all seems well. I have used a zinc additive since around 180000 kms to help. I have had a few probs with the car but overall it has been a good car.
What Zinc additive are you refering to? ZDDPlus maybe? How much did you use of that additive?

kfcoltn

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have 233,000 miles on my 06 Jetta, no major problems, needs DMF, but havent done it yet, just live with the occasional stter at hwy speeds. Just chage the oil early not late and use the right oil (505 01 or better.

digorius

TDI
2004 Jetta
Henrick,

I used ZDDPlus for quite awhile, one of those small bottles at each oil change. I think I am using Redline now. I have the bottle at home. It changed the last oil change because the guy that does my oil changes doesn't carry ZDDPlus anymore.