Definitive Battery Thread???

diesel_smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Deep Blue
You bought the gasser battery... The correct one for the diesel cars is the 94R..
The 94R would probably fit inside the original battery compartment, although the 49-1 needed the compartment removed because of the larger size.

Would you know the Walmart 94R battery capacity specs? Im guessing not as good as the 49-1

03Springer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL+ 2013 A3 TDI
I replaced the Werker I purchased five years ago at Batterys Plus with a Genuine VW 80AH battery. The Werker served me well but I noticed after changing the timing belt (everything was in spec and VCDS was used and I was at the upper limit of the timing graph) that when it started it felt like it jerked or was starting on two or three cylinders. I put my battery charger on the Werker and it would never go below 6 amps while charging. Purchased the OEM battery and charged it first before installing and now it fires up and purrs. Disconnecting the battery may have reset the ECU but now the starter spins and the engine does not shake when started. Also all three motor mounts have been replaced within the last 5k miles. This is the third battery since new and I have averaged five years per battery.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
49 has more CCA and reserve capacity than the 94R.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The 94R would probably fit inside the original battery compartment, although the 49-1 needed the compartment removed because of the larger size.
Would you know the Walmart 94R battery capacity specs? Im guessing not as good as the 49-1
So I went and looked up the battery again and I thought it was the 49 for the gassers, but it's not.. It's the little 47 that is for the gassers.. The 94R is the exact size of the factory TDI battery.. The 49 is indeed bigger and stronger than the 94R..

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I got about 8 years out of my OEM battery before it started showing signs of trouble. And thats in a climate that gets really cold in the winter and hot in the summer. If that doesn't sell it, I don't know what will. :)

I replaced it with another OEM...that was 3 years ago.

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Unless new contracts have been let very recently, WalMart batteries are supplied by Exide and Johnson Controls. Originally Posted by TornadoRed
When I bought a replacement battery two years ago, I chose the Everstart 94R from Walmart. It had great specifications, an outstanding warranty, and was cheaper than any of the others I considered. I am pretty sure it was made by Johnson Controls. I've been very happy with the one I bought, and happy with the knowledge that if I ever need it replaced under warranty, there are thousands of stores that I can go to.

Since then I've heard that Walmart has raised its prices, and the warranty is not as long. But I still suggest that you check out the Walmart Everstart Maxx 94R first and then compare it to the others.

After the 3 year warranty expires that's it, Walmart does not prorate battery any more,starting this year. All ready been thru it with them. With older battery you need a receipt to get it prorated, and that is if the store will even do it.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
You should always save all your auto-related receipts in an easy-to-find location.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Has anyone used the group size 91 battery? The Interstate chart shows the MTP91 as being pretty darn close to our OEM size. /images/graemlins/cool.gif
Got one in my car now, 3 years. It works.
Next time I go to the dealership.
If you do get the interstate, ask if they have any reconditioned ones available at a good price.

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
After reading about 60 pages of posts from different threads, all I've learned is that CCA and Ah are totally misunderstood, and if I hadn't done more reading outside of TDI club, I'd be lost and confused on the topic. First, CCA are not a political belief or an opinion, nor ar Ah, so why are people so nuts about their views on the topic?!?! I mean it's science, Ah means one thing, CCA another, you can't completely ignore one for the other, and you can still have a piece of crap battery pushing 800 CCA, there's more to it. Then you can have a battery that has 90 Ah that doen't push out enough juice to get the glow plugs warmed up 2x AND start the engine at -30 C.

Sorry, I'm just a little annoyed that it took so much reading to figure out what was what. Final conclusion, if your stealership has reasonable prices, get the biggest one that fits in your tray, should be 80 Ah (sorry CCA guys, that's how VAG rates them), otherwise get the energizer 94R. And if you're nuts and money is no object get an Extreme Odyssey P1700. Is this about right?

No offence, but I like facts, not opinions and theories, so if you have started your car day after day at -30C, you understand me, let me know what starts your car!

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
A couple quibbles:
- You wrote, "...get the biggest one that fits in your tray, ..." The exterior dimensions of a battery do not indicate the size or number of elements inside.
- There are only (at my last count) three battery manufacturers in the US and many, many battery brands offered at a wide range of prices. Chances are that replacement batteries sold behind the VW brand in the US are supplied by one of the three.

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
Quibble this, the biggest battery from the dealership that fits in the tray is probably the best you can get, I never suggested that a big battery was better, or that the group # was related to performance.

A couple quibbles:
- You wrote, "...get the biggest one that fits in your tray, ..." The exterior dimensions of a battery do not indicate the size or number of elements inside.
- There are only (at my last count) three battery manufacturers in the US and many, many battery brands offered at a wide range of prices. Chances are that replacement batteries sold behind the VW brand in the US are supplied by one of the three.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
More often than not, a physically larger battery will have either more CCA, more ah, or a combination of the two..

The group number will determine the physical size and terminal configuration..

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Quibble this, the biggest battery from the dealership that fits in the tray is probably the best you can get, I never suggested that a big battery was better, or that the group # was related to performance.
Excuse me! My intent was not to get under your skin! I merely pointed out that exterior dimensions are not an indicator of what is inside. Thanks for adding clarity to your position.

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
I get under my own skin these days. Well the stealership is selling me a VW/ Bosch for $130 tax in. Good I guess?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I get under my own skin these days. Well the stealership is selling me a VW/ Bosch for $130 tax in. Good I guess?
It's good. I just bought a Energizer MAX (Walmart) 94R for $92 US funds. My VW supplied Varta lasted 3 years, 10 months before a dead cell took it out. Heat here is rough on batteries.

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
Remember when $94 USD meant $143 CDN, I get the impression we're all getting ripped off with this currency exchange... You got Barak going around saying the dollar is weak, but he can't produce jobs, then Stephen Harper says he can't produce jobs cause the American dollar is weak... One of them is full of shut, probably both. Nonetheless, an energizer 94r is $112 tax in here at Walmart.

Whatever happened to Ross Perot?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
an energizer 94r is $112 tax in here at Walmart.
Are you sure? I thought I saw it for $118 plus tax... still, much cheaper than when I needed one a couple of years ago... it was something like $155 in Canada... $77 at WalMart in the U.S... guess where I bought mine...
Whatever happened to Ross Perot?
Didn't he become Ill? (inside joke for Montreal-area folks...)

Yuri

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
Are you sure? I thought I saw it for $118 plus tax... still, much cheaper than when I needed one a couple of years ago... it was something like $155 in Canada... $77 at WalMart in the U.S... guess where I bought mine...
Didn't he become Ill? (inside joke for Montreal-area folks...)

Yuri
AutoZone quoted $140+ for battery with a 3 year free replacement warranty and about 25% more CCA for my '09 Jetta TDi

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Remember when $94 USD meant $143 CDN, I get the impression we're all getting ripped off with this currency exchange... You got Barak going around saying the dollar is weak, but he can't produce jobs, then Stephen Harper says he can't produce jobs cause the American dollar is weak... One of them is full of shut, probably both.
We will happily exchange our Barack Obama for your Stephen Harper. Is it a deal?

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
God no!

That's like offering us a Chinese made D cell battery from 1972 for a new Varta 80ah. Good luck getting your economy...err car...started with that. ;)
What if we were to throw in Joe Biden, Hairy Reed, Nanny Pelosi, Timmy Geithner and Erica Holder???

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Here is information I have on the 1J0-915-105 AG battery found in my 2005 TDI Jetta MK4:

Hold-down Type: B13
Voltage: 12
CCA: 640
Ah (Capacity): 80
Pole Positions: 0
Terminal Type: 1
Length (mm): 315 (12.4 inches)
Width (mm): 175 (6.89 inches)
Height (mm): 175 (6.89 inches)

Last edited:

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
What if we were to throw in Joe Biden, Hairy Reed, Nanny Pelosi, Timmy Geithner and Erica Holder???
Naw...got enough of that here already.

Might accept Sarah Palin, but only because she's not bad looking. Although I'm not sure she'd get the price of batteries to come down either.:rolleyes:

a4oli

TDI
99.5 Golf
Same numbers on the battery I just got from the dealer.
Here is information I have on the 1J0-915-105 AG battery found in my 2005 TDI Jetta MK4:

Hold-down Type: B13
Voltage: 12
CCA: 640
Ah (Capacity): 80
Pole Positions: 0
Terminal Type: 1
Length (mm): 315 (12.4 inches)
Width (mm): 175 (6.89 inches)
Height (mm): 175 (6.89 inches)

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
just priced a battery from autozone,oreilys,advance,walley world and the dealer. the dear was the cheapest of them all if you can belive that.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
just priced a battery from autozone,oreilys,advance,walley world and the dealer. the dear was the cheapest of them all if you can belive that.
I bought a battery from Advanced Auto about 3 weeks or so ago for $140. It wasn't the number recommended by the AA computer but it was the same size (same case and same post orientation as the original with 100+ more CCAs. It was priced at $10 less than the [smaller] battery that was recommended. As I recall it was listed as a direct replacement in recent Chevy pickups. I didn't comparison shop so you might be able to find a better price.

I did learn that AA is not the only retiler recommending a smaller battery for the '09 TDi.

ejparkerusa

TDI
2002 jetta
I got a new battery from the dealership today and I am a bit concerned that it is not the right one. I went to a dealer that just opened. Does anyone know what the part number is supposed to be? The one they gave me is 640 cca and 72 ah. The part number is 000-915-105-DG-DSP

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I got a new battery from the dealership today and I am a bit concerned that it is not the right one. I went to a dealer that just opened. Does anyone know what the part number is supposed to be? The one they gave me is 640 cca and 72 ah. The part number is 000-915-105-DG-DSP
Yours is supposed to be the 80Ah version. BCI group 94R.